Votes

Combining 3 ISP for Stable internet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Votes

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-09-24 01:41:03 - last edited 2021-09-25 17:47:16
Model: Archer A2  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Greetings all.

Anyone please suggest a solution for this scenario.

This is for school for taking online classes to students, each wifi router connecting average of 14 users. All users are connecting through wifi.

We have 3 isp @ 300 Mbps each.

We have 8 wifi routers.

Now we connect 1 isp for 6 wifi routers & 2nd isp for 2 wifi router, 3rd is idle.

Problem is unstable & slow internet when more users are connected.

We are using bsnl FTTH connection.

We have TP LINK Archer C20 & Linksys MR8300 wifi routers.

Does using a Load balancing router fix this problem.

Please suggest a better setup & solution for this scenario

Thank you

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Combining 3 ISP for Stable internet-Solution
2021-09-24 14:37:40 - last edited 2021-09-25 17:47:16

@Hafsad 

Hey 

That is a lot of routers...   i am guessing you are using them as Access Points?  

I am going to be honest here, you would be best rethinking your network design rather than just adding more routers..   quick solution below based on Omada setup

1x TL-R605 Router - This will handled the 3x WAN connections coming into the school.  Set this is load balance mode

7x or however many you need   EAP225 / 245 / 620 Access Points - Get rid of the routers everywhere and replace them with Access Points, wire these all back to a central switch and have them controlled by the OC200 controller.    Use POE switch to power them all

1x SG-2428P or 3428P switch - 24 ports all POE will run the Access Points centrally and the Controller.  

1x OC200 Controller - To control the switch and Access Points

That should do you.     Set a single SSID for the whole school, enable fast roaming and Band Steering, let the R605 handle the internet traffic.. sit back and relax

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Combining 3 ISP for Stable internet-Solution
2021-09-24 14:37:40 - last edited 2021-09-25 17:47:16

@Hafsad 

Hey 

That is a lot of routers...   i am guessing you are using them as Access Points?  

I am going to be honest here, you would be best rethinking your network design rather than just adding more routers..   quick solution below based on Omada setup

1x TL-R605 Router - This will handled the 3x WAN connections coming into the school.  Set this is load balance mode

7x or however many you need   EAP225 / 245 / 620 Access Points - Get rid of the routers everywhere and replace them with Access Points, wire these all back to a central switch and have them controlled by the OC200 controller.    Use POE switch to power them all

1x SG-2428P or 3428P switch - 24 ports all POE will run the Access Points centrally and the Controller.  

1x OC200 Controller - To control the switch and Access Points

That should do you.     Set a single SSID for the whole school, enable fast roaming and Band Steering, let the R605 handle the internet traffic.. sit back and relax

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Combining 3 ISP for Stable internet
2021-09-25 04:10:36

@Philbert 

Hi, thank you very much for your valuable suggestions. Much appreciated.

Yes now we are using wifi router as access point.

I have doubt about the the load balancing router you mentioned.

If we combine 3 isp of 300 mbps does is combine the speed or balance the load?

Does this router give Gigabit output?

At present we can't replace the wifi routers.

We have 4 floors & 2 wifi router configured at each floor & connect 2 router in 1 isp, 3 router in 2 nd & 3 router in third.

In this setup if we Add the load balancing router you mentioned TL- R605 does it make any difference is speed & stability?

Thank you.

Options
2021-09-25 15:06:44 - last edited 2021-09-25 15:08:45

@Hafsad 

Not a problem at all, again happy to answer your further questions

I have doubt about the the load balancing router you mentioned.

If we combine 3 isp of 300 mbps does is combine the speed or balance the load?

It does both depending on the scenario..  Likes of speed tests where it simply traffic down it will use all the connections as one "super connection".   However, if the site is HTTPS (banking for example) it won't do that as the bank won't like 3x different IPs.. it will then load balance the users over the 3x connections. 

This video here might show you the idea    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDUfP8a5zNY

Does this router give Gigabit output?

I have a 1GB FTTP connection on my TL-R605, it is specced to handle ~960mbps NAT if memory serves and so far it does so all day without issue.   If you want over the 1gbps then you would need to look elsewhere for a router, it will cost an incredible amount more though!

At present we can't replace the wifi routers.

We have 4 floors & 2 wifi router configured at each floor & connect 2 router in 1 isp, 3 router in 2 nd & 3 router in third.

Your call but this should really be on the radar for consideration, routers are not what you need for your setup as you wont benefit from WiFi load balancing, roaming etc that are AP features.

Using a router as an Access Point is really not the best option long term.  Its grand for home use with 10 devices, but in a school its going to be a pain long term.   I actually work with a lot of WiFi installs in schools, so seen this before first hand.

In this setup if we Add the load balancing router you mentioned TL- R605 does it make any difference is speed & stability?

It likely will, basically means all 3x WAN connections are running at equal loads rather than one being maxed and 2 idle..   It will also offer you fallover should one link drop then automatically its on one of the other links.#

As mentioned in some scenarios it will help speeds for you, however it will definitely help stability as it can optimise the best route via whatever WAN is best at that time

When I have used this in Dual WAN setups my customers have always found it be more stable and reliable overall.

Options
2021-09-25 17:44:11
Thanks a lot for finding time to answer my doubts, it was really helpful, i wish i have talk to you beforehand, we will looking forward to change the setup as you mentioned in near future, one again thank a lot. If its ok please provide ur email so i can contact you for any suggestions in future. Thank you
Options
2021-09-26 13:22:51

@Hafsad 

Hey

No worries, im on here quite a bit so feel free to Private Message me if you need anything :)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 900

Replies: 5

Voters 0

No one has voted for it yet.