Moving controller to a new remote location

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-09-26 06:24:21
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 1.9.1

Hello,
After having setup the OC200 controller at home, and ensured all was working, I moved it to the final customer remote location, with another network and even another provider.

At home, during the setup and testing, I used a single EAP110-Outdoor. In the remote location I have 3 other EAP110-Outdoor; currently working and setup as single AP and not in a Omada environment. The EAP that I used at home was not moved to the new location and it is currently still at home.

I was expecting that, as soon as I plugged in the OC200 in the remote location, from the "https://omada.tplinkcloud.com/#controller" I could start seeing the OC200 and I would be able to set it up with the other remaining EAP's.

Instead the controller does not come ONLINE and remains forever OFFLINE.

I have plugged-in one of the EAP100 directly into the controller second eth port, to ensure signal was flowing though the controller and that it was properly connected to the Internet. The EAP is working fine, proving that the controller is rightly connected to the network and to the Internet.

I have also tried to access it via the APP on my Smartphone, while the Smartphone was connected within the network where the controller currently is located, but the controller stays offline all the same.

Does this mean that the controller must stay within the original network where it was originally setup, and can never be moved to a new location ?

If this was true, what happened if the Internet provider changed the public IP ?

Or worst, what happened if the customer changed provider ?

Or, simply, did I do something not quite correct ?

Thank you for helping, if you can.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Moving controller to a new remote location
2021-09-26 14:23:52

@Airal 

This should be able to move ok, I have done this before without issue (last week actually)

My gut feeling is the new LAN you are on has a different range / IP addressing system from your home network and that's the issue.   DId you set a static IP on the controller?

Try checking the DHCP logs on the new network router and see if you can locate the IP for the OC200, if so connect directly to the IP.  That way you are going via the LAN and not over the internet, make sure all is good there first

If this was true, what happened if the Internet provider changed the public IP ?

Or worst, what happened if the customer changed provider ?

Neither of these will affect it, provided you have DHCP or the Private IP addresses set correctly.   Gut feeling that is your issue here

Options
2021-09-26 21:02:37

@Philbert 

Hello,

thank you Philbert.

Clearly the new LAN has a different range / IP addressing system from my home network, but this should never be a problem.

Of course I confirm that I did have DHCP selected, I do not use static IP to be sure I do not incur in such a problem.

But today I happened to be onsite again, so I tried to connect via the App on the smartphone and, as strange as it may appear, it did started to work !

Later, when I returned home, I try to connect via my PC browser, and it also connected. Earlier today, before I got to the site, there was no chance to get the controller ONLINE.

But then, just as I was getting on with setting up and provisioning of some of the AP, the system went down for no apparent reason and it returned ONLINE only after several minutes; For a while I feared all was lost and I dreaded wait for the customer call to complain all was not working....

It did not happened.

The one thing that strikes me is that on the "Statistic" menu if I select "Speed Test  Statistic" it says "Current site has no Wan".  I am not sure what this is supposed to mean.

All the same, I have no clue for the reason why the system did not work strait off and I had to wait several days and return to site before I got it going in the new location. I tend to rule out the problem of different IP range, otherwise the "or worst, what happened if the customer changed provider ?" would again be a true worry as often a new provide means a new router and a new IP range.

I worry and fear this issue may cause issues in the future. I do not like to have problems of which I do not know the cause.

Giorgio

Options
2021-09-27 20:23:14

@Airal 

The one thing that strikes me is that on the "Statistic" menu if I select "Speed Test  Statistic" it says "Current site has no Wan".  I am not sure what this is supposed to mean.

The WAN option will only be available if you have a SDN compatible router installed, something like the R605.  If you are using an ISP or other Modem / Router the SDN will not be able to detect the WAN link statistics or manage then

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 568

Replies: 3

Related Articles