ER605 - Serious Issue With Load Balancing and Routing

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-10-01 13:06:00 - last edited 2021-10-01 13:35:11
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.1 Build 20210723 Rel.64608

Load Balancing is on 

I Have two WAN Connection 

1. Is BSNL Lease Line of 100 MBPS 
2. Airtel Xtream WIth Static IP 1000MBPS

Airtel in Port one and BSNl in Second 

IF Airtel is down - speed so poor it never load balance with BSNL i have two manual put out the Airtel WAN cable from Load balancer to distribute the Internet from BSNL, Load balancing is on and Link backup is also on - Still untill cable is out no load balancing, yes when both internet is on and working then it will mix up the speed - but poor performance when one is slow and other is working - or even it is completely down like PON or link cut router not responding at all - still load balancer is fail to do this , untuill WAN cable is out or AIrtel or BSNL router power is not off 

Now another Major problem 

If we wan to route the WAN to IP range never work at all - 

Example - Made IP range and name it like and Ip range is 192.168.0.20 -192.168.0.50 and another one is 192.168.0.51 -192.168.0.100 

Now Policy Routing Rule List Range 192.168.0.20 -192.168.0.50 = get internet from WAN and 192.168.0.51 -192.168.0.100 from WAN/LAN1 , what ever you do never works - even Static Route route to define any IP to work with WAN or WAN/LAN1 never works 

Example of Policy Base Routing 

Use less product never work like want to , TPlink 470T is far better than this , useless product for Small business

Options
5 Reply
Re:ER605 - Serious Issue With Load Balancing and Routing
2021-10-07 23:32:36

@Ayog Strange issues, I haven't pushed mine as hard yet, but PPTP on mine can't be turned off a few days after receiving the 1.1.1.1 update. Are you experiencing this as well?

Options
2021-10-20 12:50:12

Dear @AlbertKinterma,

AlbertKinterma wrote

PPTP on mine can't be turned off a few days after receiving the 1.1.1.1 update. Are you experiencing this as well?

Is your router working in Standalone mode or Controller mode?

Could you please elaborate on how you turn off the PPTP and the results?

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2021-10-20 12:56:55

Dear @Ayog,

Ayog wrote

If we wan to route the WAN to IP range never work at all - 

Example - Made IP range and name it like and Ip range is 192.168.0.20 -192.168.0.50 and another one is 192.168.0.51 -192.168.0.100 

Now Policy Routing Rule List Range 192.168.0.20 -192.168.0.50 = get internet from WAN and 192.168.0.51 -192.168.0.100 from WAN/LAN1 , what ever you do never works - even Static Route route to define any IP to work with WAN or WAN/LAN1 never works.

How did you test whether the policy routing works or not?

Did you use P2P applications like BitTorrent for the test?

Kind note that the policy routing doesn't work with P2P applications.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2022-01-16 03:18:13

@Ayog 

Did you every figure anything out on this? I noticed this same issue today on my network when my primary WAN failed and it wouldn't failover. My Primary WAN is is going through some maintenance over the next few weeks so I made my backup WAN my primary WAN, and set up some policy based routing and static routes to still route certain traffic out the old primary WAN, and I noticed I could not get any traffic to go.

I have the ER605 adopted into the controller. Wondering if the controller is crippling this? Maybe stand alone would be better?

Options
2022-04-22 21:12:18 - last edited 2022-04-22 21:18:54

@Ayog 

Load Balancing on these routers doesn't mean that the router is examining your WAN internet bandwidth, it can only detect whether it's online or offline, with a simple ping function. You are the one that has to define the bandwidth for each WAN ports and then the router will distribute the traffic according to your definition. If a WAN port gets slower but still responds to ping, it won't change the load balancing ratio for you, it just can't do it.

Imagine, the router should run speedtest continuously to be able to correspond the actual bandwidth ratio, that's unrealistic.

You missunderstood this feature. It's about the ratio based on the given stable bandwidth difference and not to solve your unstable connection issue.

To be fair, I also had problem when I connected a relatively fast LTE router to a WAN port and another internet service to another WAN and when mobilenet slowed down significantly, the R605 kept sending traffic through it as if it were running fast. Because it wasn't offline in theory but in reality it was practically hardly accessible when too much traffic was forced through it. It was an embarracing disaster. I gave up using mobile internet in that mix, it's unreliable anyway (promising in some time and dissappointing in other), mobile providers use whatever algorithm they want to limit bandwidth rapsodically to deal with higher demand.

About the routing:

It actually works. When I had problem with that WAN port, I had to send all traffic to the other and configure my computer exclusively to get access to the internet via that problematic WAN port, to be able to test it and the router did it correctly.

You have to create an IPgroup with the devices in that IP range first and then a routing policy for that IPgroup to send them to the specific WAN port. Then create another policy the send all lan to the other wan port.

I could even do a policy routing based on the different MAC addresses of my computer's network cards. If I connected via wifi, it sent traffic through a specific WAN port and when I connected via LAN port, it went through the other WAN.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 6031

Replies: 5