Client unable to connect

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Client unable to connect

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Client unable to connect
Client unable to connect
2021-10-19 10:51:12
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.7.4 Build 20210118 Rel.72627

Hi,

I am using OC200 with 1xEAP660 and 3xEAP620.

For security and policy compliance purpose we are using MAC whitelisting at SSID level for all users, and for guests and mobile deices we are authorising at portal with simple password technique for a different SSID.

Recently to distinguish two mobile devices of same name, i changed the name of one device in controller.

after doing so, the client was unable to connect the network depsite good signal recpetion.

i did checked the logs and blocked clients logs but there was no any clue.

finally i tried to foget the client from Insight menu and then if client is trying to connect there appears an SSID with 'Network access denied' and if press to connect is says "Denied access to network. Connection failed"

please advise.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Client unable to connect
2021-10-20 11:18:23

Dear @Cellcom,

Cellcom wrote

finally i tried to foget the client from Insight menu and then if client is trying to connect there appears an SSID with 'Network access denied' and if press to connect is says "Denied access to network. Connection failed"

Did you forget the client by clicking the following trash icon from Insight -> Known Clients?

Please navigate to Insight -> Known Clients -> Blocked to double-check if there are any clients blocked.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2021-10-20 11:56:06

@Fae 

Yes, I had thoroughly checked that again and again, and there is no client blocked.

I just remebered there appreaed an option of forget, and i did that, thinking it will probably re-authorise the client, but now i dont have any clue to revert that or re-authorise the client, even though I am trying to connect it with non Portal based SSID as well.

Options
2021-10-20 11:56:36

@Cellcom 

Options
2021-10-21 02:08:31 - last edited 2021-10-21 02:08:48

Dear @Cellcom,

Cellcom wrote

Yes, I had thoroughly checked that again and again, and there is no client blocked.

I just remebered there appreaed an option of forget, and i did that, thinking it will probably re-authorise the client, but now i dont have any clue to revert that or re-authorise the client, even though I am trying to connect it with non Portal based SSID as well.

Considering that you have configured MAC Filtering with whitelist, it's suggested to check the MAC address of your client and see if the MAC is changed. I guess that your client is using a randomized MAC address to join a new network, since you forget the client, it may use a new MAC address to join in.

More details about the randomized MAC address: 

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211227

https://source.android.com/devices/tech/connect/wifi-mac-randomization

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/how-to-use-random-hardware-addresses-in-windows-ac58de34-35fc-31ff-c650-823fc48eb1bc

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2021-10-21 08:10:24

@Fae 

Thanks Fae for your consistent support.

As long as MAC filtering is considered, for mobile devices we are using different SSID with portal authentication whereas MAC filtering is not applied on that SSID.

However the issue is figured out, and it was RSSI threshold on all APs. Due to that the device was unable to connect, however the logs were asking for access control, that led confusion.

But removing RSSI threshold is causing trouble now, as clients connect with AP farther than the nearer one, and causing packet losses.

This is very strange that despite reconnecting, it associates with lower signal AP despite the strong signals are available with nearer AP.

Options