Recommendations pls..?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Recommendations pls..?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Recommendations pls..?
Recommendations pls..?
2021-11-19 23:57:16 - last edited 2021-12-02 07:35:27
Model: AP200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I am looking to set improve my domestic wifi to 2  brick garden office/workshops about 40m from the Sky modem/router but which already have cat 6 ethernet and electricity -- but the house has been rewired and the new surge suppression in the consumers unit means that powerline products don't work well across circuits. Ideally we need a solution which provides seamless roaming between house and and outbuildings, and would allow the full 70Mb or so to be available, also PoE for simplicity and a certain amount of future proofing.

I originally thought that 2 EAP235-Wall  access points connected via ethernet to a  TL-SG1005P switch connected to the Sky router / modem would provide a good solution  but I now realise that these APs are unsuitable for this application, as they are more suited to hotels and dorms.

Which layout/equipment would you recommend?

Thanks for any advice --- we are outside our comfort zone (again).

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Recommendations pls..?-Solution
2021-11-24 12:58:40 - last edited 2021-12-02 07:35:27

@Philbert Thanks again --- - Omada system now up and running very smoothly - the set-up was very easy in the end with a little googling – I take your point and shall be swapping the EAP235Walls (which are still in the Amazon return window) in favour of EAP225 v. 3 all round. (TPLink: sorry about the Amazon returns….it’s been a journey….)

Just to summarise as I wanted a record for myself (... mind you I do believe this is a really common set-up especially in the current times in the UK and the rest of Europe, with a loads of homeworkers and suburban property so it could help others with suggestions of time-saving tips).

LOCATION A small suburban house with 2 garden outbuildings (1 wood + 1 concrete block) less than 50m from house  now used as offices/workshops. ISP is NowTV (owned by Sky uses SkyNR801 modem/router (2.4/5 Ghz, 1Gb ethernet ports) for fibre to the cabinet broadband currently about 73 Mbps max.) Powerline products not viable because the house is recently rewired and UK regulations now require domestic wiring to include surge protection which disrupts.

REQUIREMENT I wanted affordable good networking for wireless and wired devices, file transfers between servers and devices, and seamless Wifi for moving from one area to the next with mobile phones etc.

SOLUTION ADOPTED ISP provided modem/router (NR801) with WIFI switched off connected to 5 port TPLink TL-GG1005P  switch providing PoE to 4 ethernet Cat 6 cables respectively connected to a) an OC200 controller and b) 3x EAP225 v.3 ceiling-mounted access points (TIP most important devices connected from left to right in switch). Wired devices connectivity provided where required by local 3 port (min) switch connecting ethernet , EAP225 and an ethernet socket faceplate.

INSTALLATION

Connect everything together, establish IP address given by router for OC200 and then use browser on laptop to navigate to to it. Adopt ‘disconnected’ EAP devices to the controller, entering their individual ‘network keys’. Add (or duplicate existing) network SSID and password. All done.

Tip 1 - don’t use Firefox for OC200 Omada controller, as it can block opening additional windows without notifying you therefore you won’t be able to set users/passwords for each EAP and won’t know why - I used Chrome.

Tip 2 - ‘Adopting’ the EAPs requires entering their individual device keys into the controller which is located on the back of the devices - so take a photo/note before installing in ceilings.

tip 3 - to set up the ‘site’ SSID/passwords etc. in the controller go into ‘Settings’ cog (bottom left), then submenu on left will provide ‘Wireless networks’ to click on to add/remove SSIDs. Use the ‘edit’ icon on the right of each SSID to edit.

Tip 4 – I found it convenient for easy access to set a static location for the OC Omada controller (this is done in the modem/router). In my my case with Sky NR801, this is under ‘Advanced’ >’LAN IP Setup’ and down the page is ‘Address reservation’ option.

Tip 5 - this done, you can now have an icon on your PC for the URL of the OC200 set to open automatically with the Chrome browser (which is not my laptop default) by adding a new shortcut "C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" https://192.168.0.34/login (replace URL as required)

CONCLUSION – system works flawlessly and is robustly stable with excellent management and security possibilities and future proofing if system requires expansion – internet speeds are at maximum in all locations and as an added bonus cover the garden well, as well as providing excellent clean wifi throughout the house even from within recessed cupboard. NB: I didn’t feel the option of WIFI 6 was useful enough to merit the extra cost at the moment given my limited availability of broadband choices and devices. The EAP2x5Wall units look neater and have wired access sockets included but are not designed for this use and don’t have quite the coverage or mesh capability of the EAP225  but the lack of available wired ethernet connection is easily resolved by adding a small cheap ethernet switch for an additional port where required with a faceplate socket if neatness is an issue. Overall the cost was clearly more than a mesh system such as Deco but worthwhile because of its additional features and robustness.

RECOMMENDATION – The EAP225’s are designed to look good in public spaces, offices and boardrooms etc. but for me a bit glamorous for an intimate domestic environment – a more discreet box (such as the Wall products?) whether wall or ceiling mounted would be a worthwhile idea in my opinion. Just a thought - how about replaceable covers?

Anyway, thanks again for all your help and useful tips from TP-Link Community and FAQs!

Recommended Solution
Options
8 Reply
Re:Recommendations pls..?
2021-11-20 08:43:30 - last edited 2021-11-22 01:02:33
I think my choice is between : 1. two EAP225 APs connected individually by ethernet to the PoE switch which is connected to the Sky fibre broadband router/modem in house. Disadvantage: not aware if this can be configured for mesh like seamless roaming. 2. 3 M5 Deco units: Sky router/modem connected to 1 M5 in main house connected to the 2 ethernet cables to an M5 in each of the outbuildings. Disadvange: not PoE so power adapters and cables required. Also would 1 M5 in house (75m2, one floor but solid walls, Sky router works fine) be powerful enough for Wifi there?
Options
2021-11-21 17:52:45 - last edited 2021-11-22 01:02:33

@FredWG 

The EAP225s are arguably your best options for signal penetration.   When you move from the home range to the Omada Business range its just a better system all round

In answer to your question, yes 2x EAP225s connected via POE injectors (or a cheap POE Switch) would work well for you and if you had an OC200 controller (or software) you can enable seamless roaming.

The sky router would not work seamless however so I would recommend disabling the SSID on that

Options
2021-11-22 10:50:36 - last edited 2021-11-22 11:29:58

@Philbert Thank you very much! Can I ask a follow-up question?

Based on your advice, I plan to hold on to the 2 EAP235 Walls I have (I need the wired ports and from what I've read so far the difference is that they're 1GB ports in these, as I'm contemplating adding a NAS or other devices in due course so future proofing)  I will add another EAP for the house and switch off the Sky router's SSID --- but what should  I get EAP225  or 225Wall or 235Wall or ....? I shouldn't need ethernet ports (I have the switch anyway ) but signal strength is relatively important (concrete walls.... ). I am therefore inclining to EAP225 but I'm happy to be told to get something else!

The EAP235Walls are working very well indeed (I tried to set them up originally with the phone app which was a mistake and couldn't see how to change the SSID before using the clould app on the pc, but I've ordered an OC200 for simplicity) but as you foretold the Sky router can't do the seamless roaming!

Cheers

Fred

Options
2021-11-23 20:11:00

@FredWG 

Hey Again

Just to clarify that the WALL editions of the EAPs don't support roaming (except the new 610 wall), basically, they are designed for dorms / hotel rooms where roaming isn't needed as its "one room".    Therefore I personally would go the Ceiling EAP 225 for your next purchase or a 245 if you want more strength, or if the budget stretches one of the EAP 6xx range to get WiFi 6

You will tend to find the ceiling mounted APs have the best signal, just from experience..   The wall ones are grand for one room but don't really penetrate outside that..   They have

Yeah seamless roaming is very much a business grade thing, not come across any ISP routers that support it out of the box. 

When you get the OC200 set it up first as you need, then adopt the Wall APs, they will wipe / reconfigure and rebroadcast the SSID you set on the OC200.. any hassle just holler

Options
Re:Recommendations pls..?-Solution
2021-11-24 12:58:40 - last edited 2021-12-02 07:35:27

@Philbert Thanks again --- - Omada system now up and running very smoothly - the set-up was very easy in the end with a little googling – I take your point and shall be swapping the EAP235Walls (which are still in the Amazon return window) in favour of EAP225 v. 3 all round. (TPLink: sorry about the Amazon returns….it’s been a journey….)

Just to summarise as I wanted a record for myself (... mind you I do believe this is a really common set-up especially in the current times in the UK and the rest of Europe, with a loads of homeworkers and suburban property so it could help others with suggestions of time-saving tips).

LOCATION A small suburban house with 2 garden outbuildings (1 wood + 1 concrete block) less than 50m from house  now used as offices/workshops. ISP is NowTV (owned by Sky uses SkyNR801 modem/router (2.4/5 Ghz, 1Gb ethernet ports) for fibre to the cabinet broadband currently about 73 Mbps max.) Powerline products not viable because the house is recently rewired and UK regulations now require domestic wiring to include surge protection which disrupts.

REQUIREMENT I wanted affordable good networking for wireless and wired devices, file transfers between servers and devices, and seamless Wifi for moving from one area to the next with mobile phones etc.

SOLUTION ADOPTED ISP provided modem/router (NR801) with WIFI switched off connected to 5 port TPLink TL-GG1005P  switch providing PoE to 4 ethernet Cat 6 cables respectively connected to a) an OC200 controller and b) 3x EAP225 v.3 ceiling-mounted access points (TIP most important devices connected from left to right in switch). Wired devices connectivity provided where required by local 3 port (min) switch connecting ethernet , EAP225 and an ethernet socket faceplate.

INSTALLATION

Connect everything together, establish IP address given by router for OC200 and then use browser on laptop to navigate to to it. Adopt ‘disconnected’ EAP devices to the controller, entering their individual ‘network keys’. Add (or duplicate existing) network SSID and password. All done.

Tip 1 - don’t use Firefox for OC200 Omada controller, as it can block opening additional windows without notifying you therefore you won’t be able to set users/passwords for each EAP and won’t know why - I used Chrome.

Tip 2 - ‘Adopting’ the EAPs requires entering their individual device keys into the controller which is located on the back of the devices - so take a photo/note before installing in ceilings.

tip 3 - to set up the ‘site’ SSID/passwords etc. in the controller go into ‘Settings’ cog (bottom left), then submenu on left will provide ‘Wireless networks’ to click on to add/remove SSIDs. Use the ‘edit’ icon on the right of each SSID to edit.

Tip 4 – I found it convenient for easy access to set a static location for the OC Omada controller (this is done in the modem/router). In my my case with Sky NR801, this is under ‘Advanced’ >’LAN IP Setup’ and down the page is ‘Address reservation’ option.

Tip 5 - this done, you can now have an icon on your PC for the URL of the OC200 set to open automatically with the Chrome browser (which is not my laptop default) by adding a new shortcut "C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" https://192.168.0.34/login (replace URL as required)

CONCLUSION – system works flawlessly and is robustly stable with excellent management and security possibilities and future proofing if system requires expansion – internet speeds are at maximum in all locations and as an added bonus cover the garden well, as well as providing excellent clean wifi throughout the house even from within recessed cupboard. NB: I didn’t feel the option of WIFI 6 was useful enough to merit the extra cost at the moment given my limited availability of broadband choices and devices. The EAP2x5Wall units look neater and have wired access sockets included but are not designed for this use and don’t have quite the coverage or mesh capability of the EAP225  but the lack of available wired ethernet connection is easily resolved by adding a small cheap ethernet switch for an additional port where required with a faceplate socket if neatness is an issue. Overall the cost was clearly more than a mesh system such as Deco but worthwhile because of its additional features and robustness.

RECOMMENDATION – The EAP225’s are designed to look good in public spaces, offices and boardrooms etc. but for me a bit glamorous for an intimate domestic environment – a more discreet box (such as the Wall products?) whether wall or ceiling mounted would be a worthwhile idea in my opinion. Just a thought - how about replaceable covers?

Anyway, thanks again for all your help and useful tips from TP-Link Community and FAQs!

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-11-27 17:27:40

@FredWG 

Hey

Sorry for the slow reply, busy few days! 

Yeah that sounds pretty much like most setups I have seen, should work perfectly and quite reasonably priced all in.   I live in Ireland so know exactly the scoop in our small islands :)

Just in relation to Tip 2.   You shouldn't need to have any details to adopt these out of the box.  Its only if you have logged into them or done some config on them that it needs this "new password" .  Out of the box they should just adopt without any hassle using default credentials.     Once adopted it will reset, wipe and change to a key / password given by the OC200.    When I set these up, its usually just plug them in straight from box.. adopt all in one click and firmware update in one click

The cost is marginly more than a Deco install, agreed however the Omada range is Business Grade and overall the performance is night and day... I have installed dozens of Deco setups for homes, while good, they don't match Omada in any way in terms of range of performance, but are a gift to setup and need no cables ran.

In terms of size and look, the 225 v3 is quite neat IMHO.. yeah the wall socket APs are neater but suffer massively as they can only broadcast in a 90 degree angle (my engineers call them claymores due to the signal pattern, makes sense), therefore the signal is grand for one room but really limited : heat then also becomes and issue due to sizing and lack of ventilation, therefore less powerful antenna and chipsets.   The worst ones are the EAP 6xx range, they are HUGE!   Literally like hanging fruit bowl from your ceiling.

Think you made the right choice overall :)

Options
2021-12-02 21:02:07 - last edited 2021-12-03 20:17:15

@Philbert Good points --- yes the EAP225's had initially been set up as standalones so required intervention to allow adoption --- therefore I didn't realise that a new unused device on the network would be adopted automatically -- so I'd amend my solution to suggest ---for simplicity--- just mechanically resetting the EAP225 with a pin if they're being reused from another type of installation.

My earlier aesthetic concerns re. appearance have proven to be unfounded as my partner concurs with you and has given the seal of approval to an EAP225  on the house ceiling ("looks snazzy...") --- de gustibus non est disputandum... Signal is great anyway though.

Thanks again,

Fred

Options
2021-12-03 17:15:19

@FredWG 

Ah happy days!  Its always a good (and less stressful) when the partner accepts the change, I know first hand  lol

Glad it all worked out for you however and any queries, don't be afraid to ask

Enjoy

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 957

Replies: 8