Band Steering

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Band Steering

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Band Steering
Band Steering
2021-11-22 04:11:45 - last edited 2021-11-22 04:17:17
Model: EAP225  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 5.0.5

Can someone explain the default why Band Steering is limited to 40 connections and will only steer a difference of up to 8 devices? This seems low when you have multiple APs that can handle allot more clients.

Does the 40 connection limit include all APs and SSIDs Omada will steer to 5GHz or just SSIDs that have both 2.4GHz/5GHz enabled?

I had hoped that there was a way to steer all devices to use 5GHz that way i would not need to create a separate 5GHz SSID, I don't want it to balance the devices between 2.4GHz and 5Ghz.  

Will setting the Maximum Failures value to 0 (zero) effectively just allow all devices to connect to 5GHz?

What I'm seeing is that some devices are connecting to 2.4GHz but not steering to 5GHz even though the APs are under the 40 connection limit. 

My Settings:

Connection Threshold: 40

Difference Threshold:8

Maximum Failures: 0

Options
3 Reply
Re:Band Steering
2021-11-24 03:10:00

@johnsnow88 

Maybe you have devices that only work on 2.4G and that's why they won't connect to 5G.

If you want, you can just turn off 2.4G so that all SSIDs are only for 5G, but this is generally not recommended.

The 40 restriction should refer to the SSIDs that I think. (1 SSID--40; 4 SSIDs---160 lol.)

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2021-11-25 11:36:37
That's great! The more I read the forum, the more I learn. What other restrictions are there? I am planning to install Omada in one small hotel for 150 people this summer.
Options
2021-11-26 01:42:26

@Virgo 

These devices are dual band, i can force a reconnect and they will switch to 5GHz. The AP should be smart enough to move devices to 5GHz, there shouldn't be such a low limit when there are multiple APs in question. Moving a difference of 8 makes no sense when you have multiple APs that don't go above 40 client connected on a single AP, all dual band devices should move to 5GHz in this scenario i.e. 2 APs with 20 clients each.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 729

Replies: 3

Related Articles