Point to Point Wifi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Point to Point Wifi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Point to Point Wifi
Point to Point Wifi
2021-11-27 21:53:15
Model: CPE220  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I am in the process of building myself a basic Omada home network.

I need to also shoot the internet connection about 70 metres across to a neighboring house.

It looks like 2 off CPE220 would do this, but these are not Omada compatible

The EAP110-Outdoor are, but it seems they are really not exactly designed for a point to point setup.

Any recommendations?

Options
5 Reply
Re:Point to Point Wifi
2021-11-28 10:01:15 - last edited 2021-11-28 10:05:02

@tony.young4650 

Hi and welcome!

You are connect, the CPE are not integrated into Omada but that's by design...  let me explain

The EAP110 as you state is an Access Point, namely, it serves devices in its range, its the last jump (branch) onto your network and not the main Trunk itself.  Yes you can MESH 2x EAP110s together to create a large area and they will communicate OK.. however at 70m its likely the maximum range of this AP so signal will have to be considered

Thats where the CPE comes in, its designed to send data over a long distance from A to B.. serving clients is not its purpose, its the WiFi equivalent of a cable between two points.  As these do KMs of range, 70m is a breeze, once you get to the other end then use something like an EAP110 to send this to the devices. 

You may need to mix both technologies, quick example below..

You will have 2x (or one larger) Omada network on both sites, but the actual link between them is via a CPE solution.    Clients will connect to the EAP on each site, the CPE doesnt need to be part of Omada as its basically just chugging the required data over the link and Omada controller at one of the sites will do the rest.    The Omada will basically act as through the 2x sites are cabled together and therefore you can have the Omada network working as one "large network" with all servers on site A and still accessble Ok from B

You may also find this post helpful

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/511598

Options
2021-11-29 05:16:30 - last edited 2021-11-29 05:17:07

@tony.young4650 

EAP is not made for long-range distance wireless. You consider CPE solution as  CPE is made for such purpose. And, you can set up Omada Controller, etc. to the CPE. If you want to stay in the same network. 

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1222/

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1226/

What Philbert described above is the classic setup. 

Options
2022-03-20 01:09:51

@tony.young4650 

I have a follow on question

I actually would like to connect to two other locations..  the one about 70 metres away and another at about 40 metres. They are both within say a 25 degree field of view.

Can one CPE connect to two other CPE's ?

Options
2022-03-20 08:35:46

@tony.young4650 CPE units can be configured for PTP or PTMP so yes your requirement of 2 or more stations is easily done.  I use a PTMP (Point to Multi Point) in a large area installation & it works well.

Options
2022-03-20 09:59:36
Gaelforce is spot on!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 741

Replies: 5

Related Articles