ER605 VPN connection errors

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-12-06 19:17:17
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.1

Good evening.
I purchased an ER605 V.1 router, respective Access Points and Switches compatible with Omada OC200 Hardware controllers from a dealer.
Given that I had no difficulties until a few days ago when after updating the controller to version 4.4.6 and the router to version 1.1.1, I am experiencing persistent problems with the VPN Servers configurable from the dashboard.
Basically I encounter the following connection error on all clients from which I try to connect: "The L2TP connection attempt failed because the security layer encountered a processing error during initial negotiations with the remote computer."
I have clearly followed all the solutions on your site (https://www.tp-link.com/it/support/faq/1029/) and the various Microsoft FAQs but without success, thinking therefore that the problem is the server VPN.
I made sure that the modem (provided by the internet line manager) is correctly forwarding the ports, correctly reaching all the open ports "manually" on the router from the public IP having configured a DMZ on the router IP.
Also from the dashboard I manually reconfigured VPN users and servers several times, also changing the connection type to IPSEC, OpenVPN or PPTP without success.
I have also seen from the change-logs published on the site that changes have been made in the management of the VPNs in the latest version of the router and I therefore do not want there to be any bugs in the firmware.
I would like to know if there is any advice you can give me about it before returning the product to the supplier.
Thanking you in advance, I remain available to provide further clarifications.

Greetings

Leonardo 

Options
5 Reply
Re:ER605 VPN connection errors
2021-12-07 07:53:56

@Leonardo180 

In my experience, the VPN Pool of this tplink router requires to be set to a different network segment than the local DHCP Pool, you can check it.
After you set it up, does it show success in the tunnel?(Insight----VPN status----VPN Tunnel)

If you don't mind, it would be better to provide a screenshot of your entire network topology and the VPN settings you have made, so that it can confirm the problem more easily.

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/3050/

Did you follow this link to set?

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2021-12-07 17:20:02

@Virgo 

Hi, you will forgive me if I am using the translator to answer you and if the attachments are in Italian.

I confirm that you have followed the guide mentioned and that you have correctly set up a VPN pool other than the local one but in the status of the VPN (Insight ---- VPN status ---- VPN Tunnel) I have no evidence of active connections.
I leave attached the screenshots I made.

Thank you for being so quick in responding and I remain available for further clarifications.

Thanks, Leonardo

File:
ER605.zipDownload
Options
2021-12-08 05:59:11

@Leonardo180 

If the tunnel is not displayed, there may be many reasons for this, are you setting up advanced features like port forwarding, DMZ, policy routing, static route etc. on the controller? There may be a priority issue involved.

Another thing to note is, did you enter the pre-shared KEY on the client side?

And of course, just for confirm have you successfully set up VPNs on these devices before?

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2021-12-08 12:48:24

@Virgo 

Good morning.
as I told you in a few posts back, only a dmz is configured from the main modem of the internet line manager to the tplink router.
As per the screenshot that I leave you attached, only three ports are configured on the controller that all go to my QNAP with hosted web service.
As you can see for yourself nothing else has been configured or changed after the update.

Clearly I have correctly configured the VPNs on all clients, including pre-shared key.
I remind you that until recently, with the same configuration, everything was working regularly.

However, I leave you new screenshots attached.

Thank you for your availability and I remain tuned for further clarifications.
Leonardo

File:
ER605.zipDownload
Options
2021-12-09 06:04:45

Dear @Leonardo180,

Leonardo180 wrote

Given that I had no difficulties until a few days ago when after updating the controller to version 4.4.6 and the router to version 1.1.1, I am experiencing persistent problems with the VPN Servers configurable from the dashboard.
Basically I encounter the following connection error on all clients from which I try to connect: "The L2TP connection attempt failed because the security layer encountered a processing error during initial negotiations with the remote computer."
I have clearly followed all the solutions on your site (https://www.tp-link.com/it/support/faq/1029/) and the various Microsoft FAQs but without success, thinking therefore that the problem is the server VPN.

The issue you are experiencing sounds unusual, I'd like to escalate your case to the TP-Link support team for further investigation.

They will reach you via your registered email address shortly, please pay attention to your email box later.

Once the issue is addressed or resolved, I'd encourage you to share it with the community.

Thank you so much for your cooperation and support!

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options