doubts about which system best meets my needs

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-12-09 07:18:45 - last edited 2021-12-10 07:50:57

I made the same request in the consumer area [1], but they advised me to ask in this section, here is the question:
What system allows me to achieve this?

- configure or manage everything via web-UI without the app?
- possible to have 3 different ssid?
- manage different vlan per ssid?
- possible to have wpa3 encryption?

I can run omada controller on my own server and I was inclined to take two of these [2]; I need two APs to cover all the office; but one of them I can not connect via Ethernet; i think to use a POE injection without data and then connect to the other AP via mesh wifi... is that possible?

For my needs, what options do I have? Any suggestions? thx

[1] https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/513182

[2] https://www.tp-link.com/it/business-networking/omada-sdn-access-point/eap615-wall/

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:doubts about which system best meets my needs-Solution
2021-12-10 00:30:01 - last edited 2021-12-10 07:50:57

@doubt_wifi 

Hey

Hopefully can answer these for you!   Here goes!

If you go Omada you can setup a controller (software or hardware) and this will give you a web based UI to setup and manage the network.

Yes indeed.   You can create multiple SSIDs via the controller and they will be broadcast via the adopted APs.  I personally have 4x SSIDs on Omada Controller

Yes.. Again when setting up the SSIDs, just apply a VLAN

Yes this is possible but will require the APs to be WiFi 6 (802.11AX) grade devices as this is a hardware restriction on the APs you choose to use.   The EAP6xx range should be what you are looking for.   The older WiFi5 devices only support WPA2. 

I can run omada controller on my own server and I was inclined to take two of these [2]; I need two APs to cover all the office; but one of them I can not connect via Ethernet; i think to use a POE injection without data and then connect to the other AP via mesh wifi... is that possible?

You only need one controller and it needs to be online 24/7.  If you have a server then this is perfect, if not then look at the OC200.

Mesh connection is indeed possible as long as the ROOT AP is connected via cable.  Power on the 2nd AP and allow it to boot (default configuration) and it will appear as MESH on the controller and allow you to adopt it.  The EAP660s would be a good choice for this, MESH was recently added in a firmware update.

If you are going to create VLANs it may be best to consider an Omada Switch and Router.  Something like the ER605 Router and SG2008 Switch would be a good choice if you don't already have a VLAN capable switch.

Wall Units are OK.. however they are not as powerful and lack some features available in the full ceiling mounted APs.   For what you are trying to achieve the ceiling APs are better choices.

[2] https://www.tp-link.com/it/business-networking/omada-sdn-access-point/eap615-wall/

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:doubts about which system best meets my needs-Solution
2021-12-10 00:30:01 - last edited 2021-12-10 07:50:57

@doubt_wifi 

Hey

Hopefully can answer these for you!   Here goes!

If you go Omada you can setup a controller (software or hardware) and this will give you a web based UI to setup and manage the network.

Yes indeed.   You can create multiple SSIDs via the controller and they will be broadcast via the adopted APs.  I personally have 4x SSIDs on Omada Controller

Yes.. Again when setting up the SSIDs, just apply a VLAN

Yes this is possible but will require the APs to be WiFi 6 (802.11AX) grade devices as this is a hardware restriction on the APs you choose to use.   The EAP6xx range should be what you are looking for.   The older WiFi5 devices only support WPA2. 

You only need one controller and it needs to be online 24/7.  If you have a server then this is perfect, if not then look at the OC200.

Mesh connection is indeed possible as long as the ROOT AP is connected via cable.  Power on the 2nd AP and allow it to boot (default configuration) and it will appear as MESH on the controller and allow you to adopt it.  The EAP660s would be a good choice for this, MESH was recently added in a firmware update.

If you are going to create VLANs it may be best to consider an Omada Switch and Router.  Something like the ER605 Router and SG2008 Switch would be a good choice if you don't already have a VLAN capable switch.

Wall Units are OK.. however they are not as powerful and lack some features available in the full ceiling mounted APs.   For what you are trying to achieve the ceiling APs are better choices.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:doubts about which system best meets my needs
2021-12-10 12:10:44

thx for the answers, i think i'll go with 2 EAP615-Wall

>> Wall Units are OK.. however they are not as powerful and lack some features available in the full ceiling mounted APs.  

what kind of features is missing in the wall version?, i can not installed the ceiling verision i if need to increase the cover of the signal i buy another wall version AP.

i try the omada software sdn v5 and i like it, but is there an official docker image for v5? thx

Options
Re:doubts about which system best meets my needs
2021-12-10 21:44:10

@doubt_wifi 

Evening

The 615-Wall is designed for use a single room (Dorm, Hotel etc) and has a rather different beam pattern as a result.    They are sectorised antenna, my engineers call them 'claymores' as the signal is blasted in one direction at a 120degree angle out from the faceplate.  Signal is virtually non existant in other rooms, behind or beside it..

Its also a smaller form factor, this will reduce the capability and capacity of the device in terms of performance, the smaller size means it isn't as well cooled therefore will be of a lower chipset vs the ceiling mounted.

Lastly it doesnt support MESH which you had mentioned, basically cause it has no need to do so as its designed to be cabled in.

Hopefully that helps?! 

In terms of SDN v5, its literally just out!   The only release of v5 is on Windows installer, the OC200 / Software controllers haven't been released yet (they are still on 4.4.6).   I would expect this to be soon however

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 586

Replies: 3