Slow Speeds

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Slow Speeds

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Slow Speeds
Slow Speeds
2021-12-10 01:08:56

I am assisting on an Omada system install and we are having problems with slow download speeds from the EAPs. The wired connections are fine for speed.

The install situation is a property management company providing internet to the 4 tenets from the Comcast Business line.

Current Equipment

Comcast Business Modem (1GB)

TP LINK ER605

TP LINK TL-SG2008P

TP LINK OC200 (POE from switch)

EAP 660HD (powered)

2 x EAP 245 (Powered with included POE power cable)

EAP225  (Powered with included POE power cable)

The Techs original play was to replace the 4 residential wireless router with 4 EAPs in standalone mode. So we started to do that and were getting good download speeds, but I realized that was putting everyone in the sam subnet. So we put a pause on it and ordered the router, controller and managed switch. 

Once we got that we began installing it setting up the 4 vlans and SSIDs for the tenets. Then did the ACL rules and got the EAPs going. The initial rollout had all 4 SSIDs going to all the EAPs. When testing that we struggled to get 100mb down and 20 up from any of the EAPs or SSIDs. Today we switched it to 1 SSID per EAP and got an improvement on the upload speed. Now we have the full upload for our internet package, but download got worse.

Wired Speed tests get 700-900mbps

Firmware up to date (except for the newest 660 release)

Any ideas were the EAP slowdown is coming from?

Options
11 Reply
Re:Slow Speeds
2021-12-10 06:22:14
Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2021-12-11 15:29:34

@WigTech 

How are you testing these speeds and what connection are the devices registering?    Also any channel info you have is helpful

I would start by forcing the APs onto a clear air channel in the 5ghz range and set it for 80/160mhz wide channels to get the maximum transfer rates.

Any more info would be helpful

Options
2021-12-15 21:18:43

@Virgo 

Tried the EAP optimization, adjusting the channels and channel widths and no change.

Will test link speed when onsite today.

Options
2021-12-15 21:29:01

@Philbert 

The main testing was  using speedtest.net app on an iPhone Xs while standing on top of the EAP. Making sure to disconnect wifi then reconnect while at the AP so that I am on that AP. Also tested with a Win 10 laptop.

Using channels 1, 6 and 11 for the 2.4. Don't remeber what the 5ghz is at but we tried multiple options. Also tried adjusting the channel widths.

The airwaves seemed farley clear at the site. There is only one outdsitde network wireless router within range of the building.

Options
2021-12-15 21:35:59

Could the EAP 225 be slowing down the rest of the Wifi network?
It was only getting 100 down and 40 up while in standealone mode.

Now that it is added to the Omada setup, could that be causing the slow speeds on the EAP 245 and EAP 660?

It could also maybe be the Cat5e run to the EAP 225.  We have a crew replacing the runs to the EAPs today then will test tonight.

Options
2021-12-20 09:06:51
How is the testing?
Options
2021-12-20 09:26:13

@WigTech 

Yeah any update you had would be good

Its highly unlike that the EAP225 is slowing the other APs, they don't really work like that as they are technically separate APs and not reliant on each other.   However you do mention the CAT5 cable so taht sounds like where I would start to look.

What speed is your LAN connection on the APs?

Options
2021-12-22 02:08:56

After posting my last updates. I got a call from the project manager saying that the client has postponed any work till the new year.

So no update for now. 

Options
2022-01-28 04:57:10

Finally made it back to the work site.

The project lead decided to replace some of the lines with fiber. That has helped some.

For one of the 4 WiFi networks/clients we had to break it into separate 2.4 and 5 ghz WiFi networks because there smart light bulbs were having problems connecting.

Possibly going to that for the other 3.

We also decided to give up on sending all 4 WiFI networks to each AP.

Looking more at the wireless traffic in the area with a different tool, it does look more congested. So we are going to have to adjust signal strength, WiFi channels, and turn off the Comcast business WiFi on the modem.

Would it help to adjust the network layout and break out the network switches to separate ports on the router? Currently we have a managed switch as the main switch then a secondary switch connected to the main.

Then would it also help to add a second WAN connection from the router to the modem, then assign 2 vlans to WAN1 and the other 2 vlans to WAN2?

Options
2022-02-13 04:45:27

@WigTech 

I did some more testing onsite and offsite. It looks like a big part of the speed reduction is coming from combining the 2.4 and 5ghz with the same SSID.

After separating them and connecting to the 5ghz, I can get 3 times the download speed I was when they were combined.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1704

Replies: 11

Related Articles