EAP235 Wall Android phone bug

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-12-13 13:08:56
Model: Adapter  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 3.1.0 build 20210721

I have the following setup 

OC200

R605

2x EAP225

1x EAP225 outdoor

1x EAP235 Wall. 

I have 380Mb broadband, everything connected via Gigabit ethernet, 2.4GHz set to 20MHz wide channels and set 1, 5, 9, 13, the 5 GHz channels set 36, 40, 44, 48 (everything  set medium power.  

This all works a treat, wandering around the house I get full 380Mb until I connect to the 235 Wall and then the speed drops considerably ie from 380Mb to around 40Mb.

On investigation this speed drop only seems to happen with Android phones, using a Google pixel 5 and a pixel 3 both speed test very slow. If I use an Ipad sat in the exact same location connected to the 235 Wall I get the full speed ie 380Mb.

I have a spare 225 and when replacing the 235 wall with this and setting it up the same I get full speed again on all devices.  

Is anyone else seeing this ? or can make any suggestions as have tried lots and tearing my hair out, pretty sure its a hardware / firmware bug with the 235. 

Do the TP link techs read these ?  

Options
5 Reply
Re:EAP235 Wall Android phone bug
2021-12-14 10:04:18

Dear @thebandit ,

thebandit wrote

This all works a treat, wandering around the house I get full 380Mb until I connect to the 235 Wall and then the speed drops considerably ie from 380Mb to around 40Mb.

On investigation this speed drop only seems to happen with Android phones, using a Google pixel 5 and a pixel 3 both speed test very slow. If I use an Ipad sat in the exact same location connected to the 235 Wall I get the full speed ie 380Mb.

I have a spare 225 and when replacing the 235 wall with this and setting it up the same I get full speed again on all devices.  

Thank you very much for your feedback.

First of all, the EAP235-Wall does not support fast roaming.
Secondly, the wall plate AP only covers the wireless in the room, so the coverage range should be relatively smaller than that of the ceiling mount and outdoor AP, and the wall penetration is also relatively weak.

Best Regards!

Options
2021-12-14 10:21:09

@thebandit 

I understand the wall plate doesn't support fast roaming, whilst that is an slight inconvenience its not the issue, I can see what is connected via the app, when only my phone is connected and sitting very close, with no other interference, the Android phone is slow. Under the exact same scenario with the Ipad the speeds (and my laptop ) are fast, consistently. 

Since posting this I have read another forum member having a similar issue using a Oneplus (Android) device. He also reported that using his laptop there is no issue, using his Oneplus the wifi speed is very slow. He said he had limited success restoring the full speed on the Oneplus by turning wifi off and on until it worked , Note again , he was monitoring what was connected to what via the app.

I did a little more experimentation last night, using all the same settings but simply removing the EAP235 from the group and using it in stand alone AP mode the speeds are consistently good. 

I can't see this being resolved any time soon and I have already spent too long trying to figure it out so I have applied for a return and refund from my retailer .... lifes too short. 

Options
2021-12-29 02:16:35

@thebandit so I am experiencing a similar issue, however I think this may be an error on my end. I am using the business Omada platform at home due to 60+ iot devices all over the house caused some issues with basically every part of using any internet connected device. These wall access points looked wayyyy nicer than anything else available on the market, and Omada marketing was all about mesh networks. Come to find out that the wall adapters do not support mesh at all and marketing is a little bit misleading... not pleased about this -_- I love the asthetics and the fact that I can pass-through poe to the LED light strips that are piggybacking on the EAP235-wall's that I have around the house. I don't love the fact that when connected to this ap, I cannot have the same SSID as the mesh network, or speed everywhere is 50mbps.. also if i change the ssid of just the EAP235-wall access points to something else (having 15 different wifi ssid's is a sad joke that i wish i hadn't explored btw), the mesh network will not allow you to access the controller. I'm ditching all of my wall access points and replacing them all with EAP225-outdoor that i am putting in the ceiling (almost zero signal loss in a home btw)... UGHHHHH!

Options
2021-12-29 13:59:56

@Olipoppin 

Thanks for your reply, mine went back, currently using a spare 225, which, with exactly the same settings as I tried the wall ap with works a treat, it's just not very neat ( I have to use a switch and have the Poe PSU all out, whereas the wall ap was everything I needed in one). Just as an FYI, there is a new wall ap on the way the eap615 a wifi 6 version that does support roaming and hopefully would work as per the 225, I might give it a go once my refunds for the 235s come in ( and I can drum up the enthusiasm)

Options
2022-01-04 10:58:28

@thebandit 

I have 4 EAP-235 Wall APs, an OC200, and an ER605 router. My android phones work fine at full speeds, (tested up to 700Mb) but they are all Samsung devices not Google. It could be an incapability with the wifi adapter used in the Google phones. I know at work we had a similar issue with our Cisco wireless and older Dell laptops. Our fix there was to replace the older Dell laptop wifi cards with newer updated cards. ($12 a card) That isn't really an option on a phone though. My guess is TP-Link or Google will have an update at some point that fixes the issue.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 681

Replies: 5