Adopting ER605 leads to failure and switch not adopting

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-12-13 18:37:25 - last edited 2022-01-19 11:25:07
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.11

Hi there,

I was running my local (albeit Home/ office) network using the TL-SG2008P as switch, hooked to my ISP provided modem, this was hooked to the NT of my fibre 1GBit connection. Room and WiFi connection provided by EAP-615(wall) AP's and using the hardware controller 0C200. It was running ok, but, so I decided, it should be better using the ER605 as gateway, it supports IGMP V2, VLAN and as such could replace my ISP provided modem, which really is a router, since the Fiber NT is actually a Modem (KPN Netherlands) Do I decided to hookup the ER605 to the Fiber NT, the TL-SG2008P switch in turn to the ER605. 

Then trouble started, first neither router nor switch would adopt. So logged into router, made new password, could login, used this PW in the OC200 (btw, already had internet connectivity) and it adopted without real effort, however the switch would not....not with default nor new password. Remember it did function since it powered the OC200, it in turn had cloud connection. When I pulled the router out, no probs, just forgot the router and whole network (AP's, switch and controller) runs like it should. Anyone any ideas? Only option I see is resetting all hardware and running it in the new setup as if out of the box, which would force me to redo the entire config or, and I don't much like that option either, return the ER605 and keep the current setup, limited as it is. Tips and pointers welcome!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Adopting ER605 leads to failure and switch not adopting-Solution
2022-01-16 14:24:13 - last edited 2022-01-19 11:25:07

Wow, that was easy to find, even TP-Link did not mention this.....

The answer to the whole thing (welllll.....it's a workaroud to be honest) can be found in this topic "How to add a gateway (TR605) to existing network"

Thanks..... (grumbles)

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Adopting ER605 leads to failure and switch not adopting
2021-12-14 08:47:53

Dear @Basellan ,

Basellan wrote

Then trouble started, first neither router nor switch would adopt. So logged into router, made new password, could login, used this PW in the OC200 (btw, already had internet connectivity) and it adopted without real effort, however the switch would not....not with default nor new password. Remember it did function since it powered the OC200, it in turn had cloud connection. When I pulled the router out, no probs, just forgot the router and whole network (AP's, switch and controller) runs like it should. Anyone any ideas? Only option I see is resetting all hardware and running it in the new setup as if out of the box, which would force me to redo the entire config or, and I don't much like that option either, return the ER605 and keep the current setup, limited as it is. Tips and pointers welcome!

Is the Router/Switch IP address shown on the OC200 correct after you have swapped the ER605 in?

You can provide a screenshot to show the problem if you don't mind.
You can try rebooting the Router/Switch and make sure that the OC200, Switch and AP's IP Address are updated.

You can also use this PC to ping the switch's IP address to test.

Best Regards!

Options
2021-12-14 22:12:01

Thanks @Hank21,

I litterally threw the book at the whole setup, even did the reset thing, throwing away my whole custo.

As I said, the AP's, switch and CC were running as a whole without a hitch, behind the ISP router. Adding the ER605 instead op the ISP Router jinxed the whole setup and caused a cascade of failures. 

Right now the setup is as follows GPON - FTU (TK01) - NTU (Nokia Media converter) - ER605 - TL-SG200P - EAP615-Wall and it's working after a whole system reset, then hooking it all up, not touching the ER605 or TL-SG2008P, hooking the OC to independant DC power, then finding it's IP and run the maiden setup routine, adopting the ER605 (FIRST!!!!) and then the TL-SG2008P. If the order is wrong, no joy, begin again. I'm still not sure if it is due to the fiber setup (FTU/NTU) or what, but it seems a fact, all other permutations led to at least one core component not being adoptable (however they did perform their out the box duties. 

After this all was done, I hooked up the EAP's and only had to hard reset one of them, but it is perfect now.

Thanks for taking the time, hope this will be of help to somebody else further down the track.

Bas

Options
2021-12-14 22:43:37

Just as a quick add, just found an article on reddit where it was said the ER605 being problematic when it's joined to an existing network.

Also because during adoption it experiences a factory reset, thus reverting to factory IP setting for instance. This may lead to trouble and seems to fit with what I noticed (namely the ER605 keep its own IP.

So seems, this must be something TP have known for a while, might be good if it is added to the KB.

*out

Options
Re:Adopting ER605 leads to failure and switch not adopting-Solution
2022-01-16 14:24:13 - last edited 2022-01-19 11:25:07

Wow, that was easy to find, even TP-Link did not mention this.....

The answer to the whole thing (welllll.....it's a workaroud to be honest) can be found in this topic "How to add a gateway (TR605) to existing network"

Thanks..... (grumbles)

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1438

Replies: 4