Any way to have a bandwidth throttle based on data volume per hour/day/week/etc

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-12-21 23:21:53
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi

Just wondering if there is a way to have a volume based throttle, both at client level and network level? Basically, my network operates in a bandwidth-limited environment at a hostel and some users are taking the mick - quite why you would ever torrent or file-share on something thats 1Mbit/200Kbit I dont know... Anyway, its groups that visit the hostel  so I wanted to have an  ~2GB/day limit across the group, once the group hits that limit the entire network degrades to 64Kbit/s up/down until the current time period is over. That way, if I am up-front about the limit maybe peer group pressure from the group aimed at the torrent/file sharers will force them to mod their usage ?! Prob wishful thinking!

I already try my best to block the bandwidth hogging sites/protocols, but its just a DNS filter. I've blocked alt DNS via routing, but they just run DNS over HTTPS on 443 or DNS over TLS on 993 (ports that have normal, legitimate uses), or they simply connect a VPN over 443, or they use an IPV6 DNS to bypass my efforts(!) 

I guess I need full SPI to be able to control this fully.

My backup plan is to just allocate 512Kbit/sec to the hostel and just accept that it will be @100% 24/7 and everyone will have a rubbish experience!!

Like I said, remote location no sign of FTTC or FTTP so stuck with ~10Mbits/800Kbits shared between me, family, B&B guests and hostel guests all of whom seem to go on holiday and binge watch netflix full of compression artifacts while failing to talk to one-another - rather ammuses me!

Karen

Options
2 Reply
Re:Any way to have a bandwidth throttle based on data volume per hour/day/week/etc
2021-12-22 11:42:22

@KarenW 

Oh, me again. what about the Portal function on the controller, maybe it can meet your needs.

Like the Voucher as below image, you can set the traffic limit.

KarenW wrote

once the group hits that limit the entire network degrades to 64Kbit/s up/down until the current time period is over.

But as for this needs, as I know it may not support. Because once the clients have used all traffic, then it will be not allowed to access internet.

Actually you can check the User Guide 4.9, there are all details you can have a look.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
Re:Any way to have a bandwidth throttle based on data volume per hour/day/week/etc
2021-12-22 13:58:39
Hi, Thanks for responding. Yes, I will play with this setting. I could always use it in conjunction with a 64K/64K rate-limited WLAN so folks had an option when they had gone through all their data. Karen
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 541

Replies: 2

Related Articles