New EAP added to mesh but OC200 controller will not show channel or clients

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-02 23:21:52
Model: EAP225-Outdoor  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.20.0 Build 20200422 Rel. 70543

I am using an OC200 controller, v. 3.2.12, Firmware 1.2.3 Build 20200430, Rel 52621

In the mesh I have 7 EAP225 outdoor, Firmware 1.7.0 Build 20200113 Rel. 35383. They have been working just fine.

One got broken possibly by a bird strike or something, so I replaced is with the EAP listed in the subject, above.

It installed OK, was able to adopt it, and looking at it from Omada cloud or from the app on my android phone shows all 8 EAPs installed. I was able to set up the new EAP to fit into the mesh but in the overview, the channel is not shown nor are any clients.

Tried rebooting, but no joy.

Options
27 Reply
Re:New EAP added to mesh but OC200 controller will not show channel or clients
2022-01-03 18:13:50 - last edited 2022-01-03 18:16:05

@Byteguy 

Hey

This sound like a firmware compatibility issue.

If I read you correctly, the new AP is running firmware 1.2 which is designed for the SDN v4.15 or higher.   You appear to be running SDN v3.xxx

If so you have 2x choices.  

1.  Take the AP offline (forget it) and connect to it manually (standalone mode), then downgrade the firmware from 1.2 to 1.7 (yes I know that makes no sense, screenie below) which is the firmware for the older SDN v3 controller.  Re-Adopt the AP

2.  Upgrade the Controller to SDN v4.15 or the newer v5.0.29 and also then upgrade the other 6 APs to the newer firmware (that supports the v4/v5 controller)

Its up to you really  Yellow is your current firmware, as you can see its v4.15 or higher.    Green is the newer 1.7 firmware for the older v3 controller..

Its your call how you want to do this, the v4 controller is much improved over the v3 (totally new interface and almost a rewrite) so it could be a worthwhile exercise...  Also the v3 controller is now end of life so going to v4 would be the clearer option imho

if you just want it working then downgrade the new AP to the older firmware..

Options
2022-01-04 17:41:06

@Philbert figured that was the problem. I thought the easiest thing was to downgrade the AP, but then was unable to find a way to do that.

I agree that while the downgrade appears to be the easiest, it is probably not the best, given that we may need another AP in the future whether as a network expansion or as in this case, replacement of an existing AP.

Figure this will need an onsite visit, as if I am upgrading the controller, it is best done with no one using the network at the time.

Using the cloud interface, doesn't seem to be an upgrade available for the existing APs. They all say the latest firmware is installed. Possibly I am getting this message because of the older firmware on the controller. If so, when the controller is upgraded, I will be able to upgrade the firmware on the other APs.

I'll check out the references you supplied and go from there.

Thanks

Options
2022-01-07 16:43:11

@Byteguy 

Hey, Sorry slow reply

Yeah this will need you to go to site, not something that you should attempt remotely and therefore its not even available

If you do to for upgrading the controller to v4/v5   you may need to manually update the APs also to the correct firmware.   The controller has 2x channels for update of the firmware, v3 and v4+    It will look at the existing version you have, and select that channel.   As you APs will be on a v3 firmware, it wont offer you the auto-update to v4 firmware and therefore you need to manually flash.  

Not a big job, just notable.  

If you need any advice just holler :)

Options
2022-01-07 17:07:25

@Philbert Thanks. Just what I thought would be necessary.  I might need advice, but the marina manager is out in quarantine right now. I think he will be back next week so for now I'll just take the new AP offline since it's not doing anything for the network.

Options
2022-01-07 17:09:53
Sounds quite familiar at the moment, a lot of quarantine issues here too! No hassle just shout if you need any advice
Options
2022-01-12 21:48:57

@Philbert How long will it take to update the firmware on the controller? I'll just have to take it out of the network so there is no interference while doing the updating.

Options
2022-01-12 23:10:23

@Byteguy 

From experience i would say around 7-10 mins to apply update, reboot and startup

Its usually not a big job! 

Options
2022-01-13 00:25:09

@Philbert Thanks

Options
2022-01-13 17:13:52

@Philbert Once I do the update, the controller should have no problem seeing and managing the new AP.

The 7 old APs should work as well, but I'm thinking it would be best to update their firmware.

At the present time, when I tell the older APs to check for firmware updates, it responds with the firmware is current and there are no updates.

Can I assume that new updates will suddenly be seen once I update the controller? Or will I have to push an update to them individually outside of the controller interface?

Options
2022-01-13 21:24:00

@Byteguy 

Hey

Yeah when you do a check for updates, it looks at the latest version of firmware available for the channel you are on... that will either be v3 or v4/v5 firmwares, so you are likely on the last (latest) for v3.    To be honest I'm not sure the check that is based on the controller, or the AP itself

You may find that when you update to v4/v5 controller it still reads as no newer firmware, in that case its taking the channel info from the AP so you would need to manually update the APs to a V4 firmware to get it on the correct channel.   I did update my controller from v3 to v4 myself, however that's the one thing I can't remember.. sorry! 

The new AP may prompt you for a firmware update, the latest on v4+ channel is 5.0.7

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2054

Replies: 27

Related Articles