EAP110v3 Outdoor: mdns / multicast crosses VLANs

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-08 18:24:09
Model: EAP110-Outdoor  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 5.0.2

EAP110v3 has different SSIDs and one tagged vlan. Tagged VLAN SSID is not routed to main network. However when doing an mdns request via

`dig -p 5353  @224.0.0.251 example.local` from main wired network and listening in SSID which is connected to VLAN you will see the mdns request.

That should never happen. Using a device flashed OpenWRT with OpenWRT there is no such thing. Also when being connected via ethernet cable to VLAN, the mdns request won't show up there. That's how it should be.

TP-Link was informed by that bug, but no development over more than 3 months now.

For additional problems with very frequent connection drops, see also https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/275296?page=1

I really can't recommend this product. It seems that problem is all software made, but TP-Link didn't manage so far to solve. I'm now switchting to WR802n devices. They are even more energy efficient and run with OpenWRT up to 4 SSIDs.

Options
3 Reply
Re:EAP110v3 Outdoor: mdns / multicast crosses VLANs
2022-01-11 12:05:42

@Connectionloss 

As far as I know, the EAP110vc3 OD does not seem to support MDNS.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2022-01-11 12:12:54

It is not about resolving its own name via mdns. It is forwarding mdns requests across VLAN boundaries. I think this is a misconfigured multicast listener.

I have also the problem that initiating connection to devices get very slow after a few days. I love TP-Link products, however this device has so many problems that I really can't recommend anyone using it.

Options
2022-01-11 22:04:21

@Connectionloss 

Is mdns a feature on AP? Forget my limited knowledge. mdns is applied to the AP too? Or it is a feature on the router? surprise

ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 646

Replies: 3