Omada EAP power supply issues

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-10 02:09:34 - last edited 2022-01-10 02:25:34
Model: EAP225  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 5.0.5

This is a long one.... I have 3 locations( totally separate, my home, my business, my weekend getaway) where I have installed TPLink Omada access points along with 0C200 controllers. Two of the three locations are having an identical problem and one location is working correctly. Here is the basic setup of the one location that works correctly… Internet comes in on fiber to supplied ISP wireless router. I do not use this wireless router and simply run a cat 6 from one of the router’s ports straight to a 16 port POE+ switch. From this switch I run to five TP Link EAP indoor and outdoor access points along with one OC200 hardware controller. All of the access points and controller are from the TP Link Omada system. That is the basic setup at the location that works perfect. Now to the problem I am having at the other locations …

These two locations are setup identical to the first location but they have a problem.  The problem is how they are powered. My switch is nowhere close to reaching power limits overall or individual port limits. All cabling is Cat6. Now, for some reason plugging the access points directly to the POE switch some of the access points will not power up but some of them will. Through trial and error I have found a way of getting them to power up by inserting the supplied POE injector between the switch and the access point they will fire up and work normally. And when I say inserting the Poe injector i mean just the injector WITHOUT plugging the injector into power, What the heck? All of my OC200 controllers power up fine when plugged into POe switch.  I am not understanding this at all. I want the access points to run directly off the Poe switch as they should. The hardware controller designed for these access points works perfectly fine straight off the Poe switch so why don't the access points? Why do I need the UNPOWERED poe injectors in line with the other access points to make them work? I want a clean and efficient install and don’t want the extra mess of injectors hanging all over the place on some access points and no injectors on others. Obviously these injectors shouldn’t be needed since the access points are running off the switch and the injectors aren’t even powered. The craziest part is that I have the EXACT same setup at the first location that works perfectly with no injectors. I am using the exact same Poe switches, Hardware controller, and access points. I thought maybe a bad POE switches but swapped out with known good switches and same problem. The length of any one cable doesn’t exceed 150’ but just to confirm that wasn’t the problem I put the entire system together with 10’ long cables and same problem.  Also, all firmware to every device at every location has been updated to the latest. I know this is a long explanation to define such a small problem but it’s the only way I know how to get across what I am trying to say. I’m not educated on this stuff and only know what I have been forced to learn working on my own stuff. I just don’t understand. 

Options
14 Reply
Re:Omada EAP power supply issues
2022-01-10 09:34:55

Dear @JasonHogan ,

May I know what is the model number of your switches?

If you don't mind, you can take an EAP that is not being powered up properly at this location to another location where it is in full working order.

Then replace the EAP that is working properly on this side and replace it with the abnormal one to see if it works properly on the same network cable with the same network port.

This comparison experiment may be more intuitive.

And you can also test the switch as the same way.

Best Regards!

Options
2022-01-10 22:16:19

@Hank21 

Yes Sir thank you for your quick reply. This is the switch that I use at all locations. It is POE af/at. I can do the switch experiment for you tomorrow, I am not at the location today.

Options
2022-01-12 21:34:40
Ok I did the experiment. I swapped a working outdoor EAP from location 1 with a non-working outdoor EAP at location 2 and it failed to power up just as before. But, if I put the UNPOWERED POE injector in line it will power up normally. Why does adding the POE injector allow them to power up? Just to be absolutely clear, I am not plugging power into the injectors. I am only adding them between the switch and the EAP and I am NOT supplying power to the injectors.
Options
2022-01-13 09:01:31

Dear @JasonHogan ,

Based on the comparison test you did, it seems that there are two possibilities for this cause.

One is that there may be compatibility problems with this switch and EAP, but you have mentioned that some EAPs on the same switch are powered normally and some have problems, so based on the fact that each port performs differently, compatibility problems are unlikely.

The second is the switch itself performance problems, you can contact the switch support to do some troubleshooting or query some information.

Best Regards!

Options
2022-01-16 23:14:16

@Hank21  Thanks for the suggestion but I have tried many brands of POE af/at switches and still have the same problem with the access points. I have tried POE switches from Yuanley, Mockerlink, TP Link, and Netgear all with the same result. I knew the switch would be blamed but the problem is definitely NOT the switch. 

Options
2022-01-17 07:18:09

Dear @JasonHogan ,

Thank you for your feedback, just to confirm with you, is this an issue with all EAPs?
If not, how many EAPs have this problem and what are the models, firmware and hardware version?
Can all these EAPs with this problem be restored to work by adding a POE adapter in the middle?

JasonHogan wrote

@Hank21  Thanks for the suggestion but I have tried many brands of POE af/at switches and still have the same problem with the access points. I have tried POE switches from Yuanley, Mockerlink, TP Link, and Netgear all with the same result. I knew the switch would be blamed but the problem is definitely NOT the switch. 

You mentioned a TP-Link switch, can I have the model number, hardware and firmware version of this switch?

Best Regards!

Options
2022-01-18 14:38:40

@JasonHogan 

Well, do you test the switches with a PoE detector/tester? (even I don't think your switches fail to perform at the same time, likely it's an AP issue, gotta ask to make sure) If the switch works okay and you test the PoE adapter from the package too, that would be a faulty part in the PoE system inside the EAP. I can't think of anything else. 

EAP225 takes passive and standard PoE. So, the standard PoE is faulty. Passive is working. Could be a solder issue?

Any relocation of these APs? Or fall from somewhere? Very small chance that could happen to multiple APs. You should check the S/N if this happens to multiple APs. If they're consecutive SN, I suspect it's a manufacturing issue. 

ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Options
2022-01-18 14:47:16

@Hank21 Yes Sir, all EAPs can be made to work by adding the supplied POE injector between the POE switch and EAP, although I do not have to power the injector. I simply put the injector in line and they begin supplying power without having to plug them into an electrical receptacle. To be clear, no other power supply is involved, ONLY the switch and unpowered injector. So, the EAPs are actually getting power from the switch but for some reason the power must pass through the injector first. Even though the injector is not plugged into power at all. I can get you the model numbers of all the switches I have tried but will likely be tomorrow as I am working very late today.

Options
2022-03-03 07:47:53

JasonHogan wrote

@Hank21 Yes Sir, all EAPs can be made to work by adding the supplied POE injector between the POE switch and EAP, although I do not have to power the injector. I simply put the injector in line and they begin supplying power without having to plug them into an electrical receptacle. To be clear, no other power supply is involved, ONLY the switch and unpowered injector. So, the EAPs are actually getting power from the switch but for some reason the power must pass through the injector first. Even though the injector is not plugged into power at all. I can get you the model numbers of all the switches I have tried but will likely be tomorrow as I am working very late today.

Hi  @JasonHogan ,

It has been long days. I just got some suggestion about your case.

1. If possible, try an Ethernet cable with only 4 core;

2. If you have any of the EAP245V3/EAP225-Wall V2/EAP230-Wall V1/EAP235-Wall V1, try if they can work with your switch;

3. EAP225-Outdoor v1 and EAP225 may can't work with your switch. 

Here is an article you may refer to:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2594/

Options
2022-03-03 15:46:48 - last edited 2022-03-03 15:47:24

@JasonHogan I used 18 port PoE+ gigabit switch of same vendor/brand on two locations, from pic above it is fast ethernet and not gigabit switch. Not sure if there is difference in those two, but I added omada controller and eap's on two locations where those switches are. I have not experienced any problems which you describe with this switch, used devices on that location are eap225-outdoor v1, eap245 v3 and few eap235-wall. All of them operate without any issues, all poe+ ports on that switch are used.

Better you buy for $20 any poe+ gigabit switch for wired devices which support gigabit.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 2285

Replies: 14

Related Articles