WI-FI Traffic Distribution POOR

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-12 11:48:56 - last edited 2022-08-19 12:18:24
Model: Adapter  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version:

Hi there,

seems like something is wrong.... 

I tried already to switch channels, reboots and i updated omada controler to v5 and my eaps to 5.0.3  - still poor 2.4 ghz wlan. 

any tipps to figure out, which device is the bad guy ? 

i use 4 WLAN 

WLAN 1  2.4 & 5 ghz (main)

WLAN 2   2.4 & 5 ghz (guest)

WLAN 3 2.4 only (iot)

WLAN 4 2.4 only (iot)

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:WI-FI Traffic Distribution POOR-Solution
2022-01-12 18:55:24 - last edited 2022-01-12 20:36:29

@magu569 

Hey and welcome

This is a common question and short answer is, there is no fault here its a limitation of the 2.4ghz spectrum

Without going into too much detail here, in today's world the 2.4ghz range is saturated and 17 devices is really a lot for it IMHO.    The spectrum of 2.4ghz has 13 channels and of those only 3 don't interfere with each other, namely 1  6  and 11.  

That however is based on 20mhz widths, if you are going for 20/40mhz widths set your channels as 1 and 11 (as far apart as possible really) as 40mhz clients will flood channels 1-8 when connected.   The 2.4ghz spectrum was out years ago now and was never designed for large volumes of devices, it therefore saturates easy and this reads as POOR on the controller.

Poor simply means all available Airspace is being utilised, here are a few things you can try

1. Set the channel width for 20mhz instead of 20/40..  This will reduce speed, but increase capacity.

2. Enable Roaming, make sure the devices can roam APs if possible.  Enabling AI Roaming also helps

3. Enable Airtime Fairness on the 2.4ghz.  I have this on and it does help with IOT stuff.   When enabled this stops one device hogging the airspace by allocating each device an equal time to send / receive traffic.   It therefore reduces the load on the airspace as a result.

4. Move anything you can to 5ghz, however if these are IOT it may not be possible

Hope that helps, sadly not a lot you can do about this but don't get hung up on it.   POOR airspace in 2.4 is a common issue with no easy fix!  See this all the time! 

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:WI-FI Traffic Distribution POOR-Solution
2022-01-12 18:55:24 - last edited 2022-01-12 20:36:29

@magu569 

Hey and welcome

This is a common question and short answer is, there is no fault here its a limitation of the 2.4ghz spectrum

Without going into too much detail here, in today's world the 2.4ghz range is saturated and 17 devices is really a lot for it IMHO.    The spectrum of 2.4ghz has 13 channels and of those only 3 don't interfere with each other, namely 1  6  and 11.  

That however is based on 20mhz widths, if you are going for 20/40mhz widths set your channels as 1 and 11 (as far apart as possible really) as 40mhz clients will flood channels 1-8 when connected.   The 2.4ghz spectrum was out years ago now and was never designed for large volumes of devices, it therefore saturates easy and this reads as POOR on the controller.

Poor simply means all available Airspace is being utilised, here are a few things you can try

1. Set the channel width for 20mhz instead of 20/40..  This will reduce speed, but increase capacity.

2. Enable Roaming, make sure the devices can roam APs if possible.  Enabling AI Roaming also helps

3. Enable Airtime Fairness on the 2.4ghz.  I have this on and it does help with IOT stuff.   When enabled this stops one device hogging the airspace by allocating each device an equal time to send / receive traffic.   It therefore reduces the load on the airspace as a result.

4. Move anything you can to 5ghz, however if these are IOT it may not be possible

Hope that helps, sadly not a lot you can do about this but don't get hung up on it.   POOR airspace in 2.4 is a common issue with no easy fix!  See this all the time! 

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:WI-FI Traffic Distribution POOR
2022-01-12 20:36:00

@Philbert 

Thank you for this awesome answer. 

I understood now and will try you hints tomorrow. 

Sad i have a couple of tasmota device in my WLAN to controll rgb lights. 

Options
2022-01-12 20:53:30 - last edited 2022-01-12 20:54:25

@magu569 

Yeah IOT devices are known to flood airspace pretty quickly, not uncommon 

Stick on AirTime Fairness and that should help keep it responsive.   The good thing is they don't appear to be throwing a lot of data through the air, so its likely just small updates / status reports / checking in etc ... more quantity than volume..  AirTime Fairness is designed for that specific scenario.

You do get used to the Amber and Red after a while lol..

Options
2022-01-12 21:07:11
Haha, yea seems like. atleast im on "FAIR" now :-) i will use 5ghz for new devices if its possible. i thought always i have to use 2.4 because its slower and higher range. i didnt thought theres a limit. i thought the limit is the AEAP245 with 60 clients or something like that.... anyway thanks :-)
Options
2022-01-12 21:27:11

@magu569 

You would be correct in that the limit on the AP is ~60 devices, but that would likely be the majority on 5ghz as it has a much higher airspace capacity.    It is true that 2.4 does have a slightly better range / penetration but its massively slower and saturates quickly when compared to 5..

As you say try and get newer devices onto the 5ghz as it will offer you much better performance overall with less congestion, its pretty standard now for most devices! 

Have you enabled Band Steering on the controller?  That might be a good option for you also

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1758

Replies: 5

Related Articles