limit Icloud uploads

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

limit Icloud uploads

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
limit Icloud uploads
limit Icloud uploads
2022-01-13 06:44:26

Hi All

We run a network in a country which still has metered internet access at a costly rate for both Up and Down. We offer fast connections for customers for free but we often find our Quotas being Exceeded. upon investigation, the culprit is ALWAYS the same: Apple Icloud. Often icloud uploads take up 70/80% of all bandwidth in a day and the customers are not even aware its happening.This causes issues for the majority of people getting online for work.

With this in mind we would like to limit the Icloud service, or just restrict it's speed and network usage at the network level.

are their some QOS options or websites/ports settings we could change to acheive this?

As you can imagine when Apple also pushes an update, its havoc as hundreds of devices start updating on the same day 

Options
1 Reply
Re:limit Icloud uploads
2022-01-13 21:41:01 - last edited 2022-01-13 21:42:42

@malcoski 

Hey

Dynamically restricting the bandwidth on specifically icloud would require a Proxy or IDS type setup, which sadly Omada does not have.. however it may be possible to block the URLs of the cloud servers

On the controller you could create a web block for the icloud URLs, that would certainly help a lot!

I would just list the URLs you know / can find and that would stop the traffic dead..  Leave open the web portals like   login.appleid.com   and    itunes.apple.com     concentrate on anything that looks like a server or upload portal (not something a user would log into).

Example below from some URLs i seen on my network, you might need to do some digging here youself.

Hope that helps!

Blocking ports is not a great option here, most of the Apple stuff uses port 443 and blocking that would cause havoc for you! 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 422

Replies: 1

Related Articles