Internet cuts out several times a day

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-18 19:37:13
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.1

So I got the ER605 and also the ER7206 for my home network with a domain controller, exchange, and some vsphere lab work. Everything with the local network is working well however every few hours, sometimes just a few mins, the Omada Controller software on my laptop will show a red error in the log with messages like:

[SFP WAN] of ER7206 is down or [WAN] of ER605 is down (depending on which router I try).

I used my ISP's SFP module and inserted it into the ER7206's SFP port. When I tried the ER605 I used the MC220L SFP converter and plugged it into the WAN port but it doesn't matter which one of these I use it's the same problem every day. The internet still cuts out for a minute then it's fine again for a bit.

Ping -t 8.8.8.8 confirms the issue when it goes down otherwise no dropped packets and the performance is as expected until then. So it's not the Bell modem/router and not the ethernet cable. The only common denomitor is I'm using these two TPLink routers (I first got the ER7206 then in case it was faulty I got the ER605).

I thought maybe it's my ISP modem (Bell Home Hub 3000) so I put that back in the network and the internet is working without issues. I'm using internet vlan 35 just like many others that bypass their Bell HH3000 and they have no no such issues.

I've tried all I can think of including cloning the modem's MAC address although that shouldn't be required. Also tried different public DNS servers and experimented with MTU's.

Anything else I can try before I return these TPLink routers and get something else? I'm running out of time if I want a refund.

Options
17 Reply
Re:Internet cuts out several times a day
2022-01-18 19:51:35

@yorkman 

On ver 5.0.29 there are a lott of bugs, on of them shut down WAN interface when renaming a client. ther is mybe more settings that do that .. do you do som configuration when this happend ?

Options
2022-01-18 22:31:42 - last edited 2022-01-18 22:46:51

@shberge Thank you for that. Yes I noticed that it seems to happen when I rename clients (from MAC address to user friendly name) but I wasn't sure since there's a small delay by the time it's logged. However, since I started being suspicious of this I stopped making changes and waited to see if it would happen again. Sometimes not for hours but it does still happen.

Should I downgrade to v4 then? I need it to be rock solid stable if I'm going to keep one of these routers because if it is a bug then I can't have this problem and wait for who knows how long before it's fixed. That would affect too many clients for too long.

Options
2022-01-19 03:26:35

Dear @yorkman,

yorkman wrote

So I got the ER605 and also the ER7206 for my home network with a domain controller, exchange, and some vsphere lab work. Everything with the local network is working well however every few hours, sometimes just a few mins, the Omada Controller software on my laptop will show a red error in the log with messages like:

[SFP WAN] of ER7206 is down or [WAN] of ER605 is down (depending on which router I try).

I used my ISP's SFP module and inserted it into the ER7206's SFP port. When I tried the ER605 I used the MC220L SFP converter and plugged it into the WAN port but it doesn't matter which one of these I use it's the same problem every day. The internet still cuts out for a minute then it's fine again for a bit.

Ping -t 8.8.8.8 confirms the issue when it goes down otherwise no dropped packets and the performance is as expected until then. 

Did you access the Omada Controller via localhost or via omada cloud website (https://omada.tplinkcloud.com/)?

When you see the red error "WAN is down" in the log, did the Internet connections drop out on all the devices actually?

Would the Internet always drop out for 1 minute, and then recover automatically itself?

Should I downgrade to v4 then? I need it to be rock solid stable if I'm going to keep one of these routers because if it is a bug then I can't have this problem and wait for who knows how long before it's fixed. That would affect too many clients for too long.

Are you using the Omada Controller v5.0.29? Kind note that the Config file from higher controller version may be incompatible with lower controller version. If you downgrade the controller from v5 to v4, you may need to reconfigure the network for use.

I'm not sure if the issue has anything to do with the controller yet, further investigation will be needed. If you decide to downgrade the controller for a try, I'd suggest you save a copy of the current Log file and Backup config file before you do that. The R&D team may be able to address the issue with the information.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2022-01-19 03:44:27 - last edited 2022-01-19 03:48:53

@Fae Yes I'm using the latest v5.0.29 controller software. Correct, I lose internet on all my devices for about a minute then it automatically reconnects. I changed the setting for the default reconnect interval value from 10 to 2 seconds assuming it would reconnect more quickly but I don't think this has any effect. I believe it took the same amount of time even when it was 10 seconds.

I access the Omada controller software via localhost as per the default installation on my Win'11 laptop.

I don't really want to downgrade just for the hell of it but if TPLink believes there's bugs that may be causing this issue in the current version then I will try it. Just as I don't want to return the product as, other than some of the bugs/issues, I really like it.

Let me know what should be my next course of action. If you'd like me to grab the logs I have now let me know where they are or what you want me to zip up and where to upload.

A couple of hrs ago I removed my Bell modem/router and put the ER605 back with the SFP module from the Bell router into the MC220L converter and then to the WAN port. Like before, so far so good but we'll see how many connection drops in the next 24 hrs...although this time I'm not touching a single setting in the Omada controller unless I really have to. And I'm going to leave it at v5.0.29 for the time being.

Keeping my fingers crossed that it's a bug in the Omada software as I believe TPLink can fix that in a reasonable amount of time. Perhaps a quick fix before fixing any other bugs because losing internet intermittently is a critical issue. We should not lose internet connectivity when changing settings in Omada that should have no effect on the connection.

Options
2022-01-19 06:17:48

Dear @yorkman,

yorkman wrote

Let me know what should be my next course of action. If you'd like me to grab the logs I have now let me know where they are or what you want me to zip up and where to upload.

Thank you for confirming the information!

To figure out the issue, I'd like to escalate your case to the TP-Link support team who could help you more efficiently.
They will reach you via your registered email address shortly, please pay attention to your email box later.

Once the issue is addressed or resolved, I'd encourage you to share it with the community.
Thank you so much for your cooperation and support!

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2022-01-19 17:06:10

@Fae Thank you. Btw, so far after about 12 hrs no internet drops since I started using the ER605 again with the same setup. Only difference now is I'm not changing anything in the Omada controller software. I just check in on it once in a while and just see the usual errors from time to time:

ER605 detected Large Ping attack and dropped 28 packets.

Jan 19, 2022 09:17:19  am

ER605 detected Large Ping attack and dropped 17 packets.

Jan 19, 2022 09:07:11  am

ER605 detected Large Ping attack and dropped 2 packets.

Jan 18, 2022 07:48:34  pm

ER605 detected Large Ping attack and dropped 4 packets.

Jan 18, 2022 07:33:50  pm

Options
2022-01-20 10:55:19

Dear @yorkman,

yorkman wrote

@Fae Thank you. Btw, so far after about 12 hrs no internet drops since I started using the ER605 again with the same setup. Only difference now is I'm not changing anything in the Omada controller software. I just check in on it once in a while and just see the usual errors from time to time:

ER605 detected Large Ping attack and dropped 28 packets.

Jan 19, 2022 09:17:19  am

ER605 detected Large Ping attack and dropped 17 packets.

Jan 19, 2022 09:07:11  am

ER605 detected Large Ping attack and dropped 2 packets.

Jan 18, 2022 07:48:34  pm

ER605 detected Large Ping attack and dropped 4 packets.

Jan 18, 2022 07:33:50  pm

Thank you for your valued feedback.

Sounds like to be good now. But if there is anything new came up, please feel free to reply to the support email for further assistance.

Kind note: I've already escalated your case to the support team, if somehow you haven't received the support email yet, please don't hesitate to let me know. Thank you for your attention!

Options
2022-01-21 18:57:18

@Fae For the most part it's good. However, there's definitely a bug in the controller software v5.0.29 because when I rename a device to a more friendly name I get the WAN port is down message and my internet disconnects for a moment.

Also, if a device has a hostname (and most of mine do) it should automatically use that as the device name instead of the MAC address. For most of my devices it won't do that hence why I keep having to rename them causing the internet to go down.

Options
2022-01-21 19:06:37

@yorkman 

There is a new update on controller where some of the bug is fixed

new version is 5.0.30

Options
2022-01-21 19:27:15

@shberge Thanks. I just upgraded as per the instructions. Right away the first entry logged was [WAN] of ER605 is down :-( and I didn't even change anything yet.

Will try to give it some more time to see if this will continue to be a problem but it's not looking good so far.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2777

Replies: 17