Guide to Installing Omada Software Controller on Raspberry Pi OS - V5

Guide to Installing Omada Software Controller on Raspberry Pi OS - V5

106 Reply
Re:Guide to Installing Omada Software Controller on Raspberry Pi OS - V5
2024-02-17 06:43:55

I am using the "legacy 64 bit OS" in the other OS tab for the pi 3b

Do I need to use a different one, please tell me which one specifically if so.

Options
2024-02-17 15:26:55 - last edited 2024-02-17 15:28:12

@CarterKraft Definitely need the LATEST Raspberry Pi OS Lite (64bit) - some of the packages to be installed wont run on the legacy version.  The current download is at the link below, but may change as they release updates

https://downloads.raspberrypi.com/raspios_lite_arm64/images/raspios_lite_arm64-2023-12-11/2023-12-11-raspios-bookworm-arm64-lite.img.xz

Also, after new install of the OS and before you start installing Omada Controller you need to do

sudo apt update

and 

sudo apt upgrade

Options
2024-02-17 17:37:58

@kilovar 

Thank you, I will give it a shot with the newest 64bit and report back.

Options
2024-02-17 19:15:32

@kilovar 

All went well on the newest OS, it got to the same part where the OmadaC was loading stuck at 60% for 15 minutes. I closed the ssh connection and power cycled the Pi.
I logged back in to SSH and tried to start OmadaC but it says it is already running.

:~ $ sudo /usr/bin/tpeap start
Omada Controller is already running. You can visit http://localhost:8088 on this host to manage the wireless network.

I can't seem to access it though via the localhost, I have used the IP address in the "local host" is that all I need to do?

I pinged the IP in the windows CMD and it was 100%.

What do I need to do?

Options
2024-02-17 19:30:59

I tried to cycle the Omadac vai SSH and it appeared to work?

@omadacloud:~ $ sudo  /usr/bin/tpeap status
Omada Controller is running. You can visit http://localhost:8088 on this host to manage the wireless network.
@omadacloud:~ $ sudo  /usr/bin/tpeap version
Omada Controller v5.12.7 for Linux (X64)
@omadacloud:~ $ sudo  /usr/bin/tpeap stop
Stopping Omada Controller
Stop successfully.
@omadacloud:~ $ sudo  /usr/bin/tpeap start
check omada
Starting Omada Controller. Please wait................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Started successfully.
You can visit http://localhost:8088 on this host to manage the wireless network.

Options
2024-02-18 02:22:29

@CarterKraft   This screen indicates that it is working correctly. 

Now point you web browser to http://<IP_address_of_raspberry_pi>:8088 and you should be in business

Options
2024-02-19 14:16:58

@kilovar 

I can stop/start it via ssh but when I try to connect via browser I have had limited success.

One time it loaded a setup wizard with 6 steps, I filled out each field but when I tried to "finish" it didn't seem to complete the icon just say and spun.

I tried a different pi3B I have with a fan case and nothing changed there either.

Options
2024-02-19 15:36:09

@CarterKraft Perhaps time to try a more modern Pi.  I have 2 active installations, one on a Pi4B and One on a Pi5, both with 4GB RAM.  Both run perfectly. 

In the past I ran on a Pi3B+ as well, but that was in the days of OpenJDK8.

Inf you want to try to install OpenJDK8 and see how that runs on the Pi3B+ it may be worth trying, otherwise may be time for a hardware upgrade

Options
2024-02-19 16:34:35
If I could get the jdk8 I will try it. I have a Odroid N2+ that I can use but I understand it's different from the intention of this guide. I found places to download the jdk8 but I don't know how to do that in the terminal, I could download it on my Windows PC and use USB to get it on the pi but I don't know how to retrieve it from the USB.
Options
2024-02-19 18:35:08

I am going to retry with the lite 64 bit OS

Options