Replacing my poor M3W

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Replacing my poor M3W

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Replacing my poor M3W
Replacing my poor M3W
2022-02-03 14:04:14 - last edited 2022-02-03 14:58:42
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.6.0

Hello,

For the moment I have 3 Deco m5 and 1 m3W:
The M3W is behind the front door (level 0) for a future connected doorbell, wifi signal doesn't leave the house.
On level 1, I have the main deco M5 and another m5 at the opposite, using Ethernet backhaul. I did it as walls are bigger and even if wifi signal is acceptable, it is not excellent.
And on level 2 I have the third and last Deco M5, which is OK as walls are different and signal is better, it is placed at the center of the level and is connected to main deco using wifi.

I plan to replace my M3W, which cost me 50€ but makes me lost a lot of useful features as disabling mesh for specific devices.

In the bandwidth point of view, could it really make sense to buy a M9+ and replace the main deco to use the dedicated wifi backhaul and use the M5 in place of the M3W or the change won't be perceptible with another M5 in place?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Replacing my poor M3W-Solution
2022-02-03 14:34:37 - last edited 2022-02-03 14:58:42

@Nardol 

It does not make sense to buy single M9 Plus. You will need two ​​​​​​​​ M9 units to be able to utilize dedicated backhaul WiFi channel, and it will be only between these two. 

Also, with M5 only mesh as soon as TP Link releases firmware 1.6, for which beta is already available, you'll be able to use all new features from that firmware. With M9 Plus in the mix you'll have to wait till same firmware released for M9.

Get yourself another M5, remove M3W from your mesh and enjoy all features that come with latest M5 firmware. 

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Replacing my poor M3W-Solution
2022-02-03 14:34:37 - last edited 2022-02-03 14:58:42

@Nardol 

It does not make sense to buy single M9 Plus. You will need two ​​​​​​​​ M9 units to be able to utilize dedicated backhaul WiFi channel, and it will be only between these two. 

Also, with M5 only mesh as soon as TP Link releases firmware 1.6, for which beta is already available, you'll be able to use all new features from that firmware. With M9 Plus in the mix you'll have to wait till same firmware released for M9.

Get yourself another M5, remove M3W from your mesh and enjoy all features that come with latest M5 firmware. 

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Replacing my poor M3W
2022-02-03 14:54:08

@Alexandre. Thanks a lot, I miss-understood and believed M5 would use the dedicated wifi if the M3W was the main Deco. Now I know my mistake and know what to do, thanks again :)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 461

Replies: 2

Related Articles