Need answer on DR scenario for Omada Controller

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-02-03 18:01:43
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.1.1

Where is the network configuration stored? On the controller? or on the hardware.

Here is my scenario.  Yes, I know about backups.  this has not actually happened. I just want to understand how this works.

All Omada hardware.

Everything configured and working.

Omada controller lost.  No backup.

If I stand up a new controller, will it ready the configuration from the network?  Or do I have to reconfigure from scratch

Options
2 Reply
Re:Need answer on DR scenario for Omada Controller
2022-02-03 20:50:26

@jwaltrip 

Hey

The answer is a bit of both.. 

The main point of config for the network is the controller, this will have all the config and settings for everything it manages..  However each device also has a local configuration from the controller saved for itself, should the controller goes down will self govern using the last configuration it received from the controller

Should the controller totally die, and you have no backup.. then yes you would need to reconfigure the network on the controller from scratch, then reset and re-adopt the APs/Switches as they will be locked to the old controller.

However if you have a backup (even just settings), then the controller can re-adopt and reconfigure the APs/Switches without the need to reset anything.  Generally I take a settings backup after any change to the controller, that way if anything does happen its a quick turn around.

Options
Re:Need answer on DR scenario for Omada Controller
2022-02-03 22:46:32

thanks

that was the info I was looking for.

I have auto backup turned on.

Options