EAP6XX US series DFS capability pre-purchase verification

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-02-15 09:20:26 - last edited 2022-02-17 21:25:34
Model: EAP610  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.3

Hi TP-Link support team, this question pertains to all EAP-6XX series APs (EAP660HD, EAP620HD, EAP615-Wall, EAP610, EAP610-Outdoor)

I'm looking to buy access points from either TP-Link or Unifi, but due to the physical locations where they will be installed there will be 5ghz overlap on more than 3 APs (I'm not downgrading to a 40mhz channel otherwise there is no point in WiFi6).

So US DFS channels are a must for the purchase.  In this post (https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/502928?page=1) Fae states

"FYI, the EAP610 US version supports DFS channels at present, more Omada EAPs with the US version such as EAP660HD (US) and EAP620HD(US) will support DFS channels in the future firmware releases."

As of Feb 2022, when DFS is said to be "supported", what specifics does this mean?  Is it supported for mesh backhaul and limited to special tp-link SSIDs, or is this open to general WLAN configuration and SSID setup?  Is the DFS supported on all US legal channels (U-NII-1, U-NII-2A, U-NII-2C, U-NII-3) or a subset of these channels?  I have found other posts about DFS for the EAP3XX and EAP2XX series but no specifics about the 6XX series.  Further the datasheets do not give any specifics nor the release notes to the firmwares, and the online emulator for the EAP610US does not have DFS channels in the channel list.  Could you please explain what DFS capability and/or limitations each of the models have.  Or at least the EAP615-Wall, EAP610, EAP610-Outdoor.

I am currently running an ER7206 and TL-SG3428MP, i like the equipment and would like to stay within the Omada ecosystem.

Joe

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:EAP6XX US series DFS capability pre-purchase verification-Solution
2022-02-17 10:37:13 - last edited 2022-02-17 21:25:34

Dear @JoeSea,

JoeSea wrote

So US DFS channels are a must for the purchase.  In this post (https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/502928?page=1) Fae states

"FYI, the EAP610 US version supports DFS channels at present, more Omada EAPs with the US version such as EAP660HD (US) and EAP620HD(US) will support DFS channels in the future firmware releases."

Thank you for posting the question on the TP-Link Community.

I'd like to correct my previous statement. The EAP610 US version doesn't support DFS channels.

So far, all the current released EAP6XX US series doesn't support DFS channels. From the recent information I have, for your reference, the new EAP650 (US) and EAP670 (US) will support DFS channels, while other EAP6xx US series have no plan for the time being.

Kind Note: The information is for your reference only. Please refer to the final product/firmware release for confirmation.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
7 Reply
Re:EAP6XX US series DFS capability pre-purchase verification
2022-02-16 17:40:12

Wow, that would be amazing if it's true.  I've been asking for DFS support on USA models for years now with little or no acknowledgement.  Certain Fae knows her stuff so I'm not questioning her statement.  WHEN it actually comes to fruition, however, is another matter.  And whether it applies to the existing Hardware version(s) or requires a new hardware version is another matter entirely.

Just to say, not sure what your environment is (business, hotel, school, home, etc.) but if the STA count per AP is fairly low, overlapping the AP broadcast channels is usually not a big deal.  

If it's an enterprise system with 30+ STA's per AP all streaming video content or files, that's another matter.  But in smaller, lightly used environment it's really not a big deal in most cases.  Still faster to use 80MHz with overlap, than 40MHz without.

Options
2022-02-17 02:08:42

@JSchnee21 Thanks for the info on your experience about light loaded overlap, that helps.

I've interpreted @Fae 's other responses to DFS on the EAP2XX and EAP3XX as that they won't re-certify with the FCC to allow US DFS, and Fae has mentioned that Omada Mesh uses DFS.  But to be non-responsive in general about their brand new product's capabilities (that their consumer grade equipment can do) is not boding well.

Options
Re:EAP6XX US series DFS capability pre-purchase verification-Solution
2022-02-17 10:37:13 - last edited 2022-02-17 21:25:34

Dear @JoeSea,

JoeSea wrote

Thank you for posting the question on the TP-Link Community.

I'd like to correct my previous statement. The EAP610 US version doesn't support DFS channels.

So far, all the current released EAP6XX US series doesn't support DFS channels. From the recent information I have, for your reference, the new EAP650 (US) and EAP670 (US) will support DFS channels, while other EAP6xx US series have no plan for the time being.

Kind Note: The information is for your reference only. Please refer to the final product/firmware release for confirmation.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
2022-02-17 13:26:51 - last edited 2022-02-17 16:42:24

I run mostly EAP225-Outdoors but I do have one EAP610 (Indoor version) in my network.

I am in the USA btw.

I just logged
into my EAP610 to take a peak at what is available. It is set up for 40 MHz btw. 

Available channels are 36,40,44,48,149,153,157,161

No Unii2 channels show up in the option list

As far as the EAP610-Outdoor goes, after 14 months of hunting for one since it was first press-released (1/21) it appears to still be just vaporware so I can not comment on it.

I was hoping to be able to upgrade my outdoor EAP225's to EAP610-Outdoors for this season specifically because they can handle overlapping signals better (at least I think they are supposed to be able to - WiFI 6 is supposed to be able to deal with that).  In the mean time, unless I want to switch over to Unifi, I am stuck with 40 MHz channels.

FWIW, I do use Ubiquity 5 GHz products (dishes) for PtP links where the EAP's are too far away to run a cable or even for mesh. I use the UNII2 channels for the PtP links as the Ubiquity products don't seem to have a channel restriction. Because they are high gain dishes, I am getting solid 1/4 mile plus connections with only a milliwatt or so transmitter setting.

Options
2022-02-17 21:21:57

@Fae Thank you for the response, and thank you for the update to your proir post.  Is there a public release time frame for the EAP650-670 (year/quarter)?

Options
2022-02-17 21:25:14

@rickk1000 Thank you for checking your devices, that helps.  Yeah, I see the 610 outdoor showing on EU TPlink, but not in the US.  So at an extra $50 per AP I'll be going with UniFi

Options
2022-02-17 23:36:39

So Google can find the pages for the EAP650 & 670 on the US TPLink site.  The EAP650 looks to be available, if there is an early adopters program, I would love to buy that one it looks great.  Full 160mhz channels, and smaller 6 inch diameter.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1535

Replies: 7