TL-R605 Openvpn configure username and password?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-03-01 02:12:08 - last edited 2022-03-02 04:32:49
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

is it possible to create username and password for Openvpn users when the TL-R605 is in Standalone mode?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:TL-R605 Openvpn configure username and password?-Solution
2022-03-01 17:35:45 - last edited 2022-03-02 04:32:49

@RopKoob 

NO...Currently TPLink has OpenVPN only for Business site to site configuration. In other words it won't work for VPN Service Providers that require Login Information.

Like other router manufacturers they don't want to support this feature. Try ASUS Routers for this feature OR load OpenWRT, DD-WRT, FreshTomato on a different router.

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:TL-R605 Openvpn configure username and password?-Solution
2022-03-01 17:35:45 - last edited 2022-03-02 04:32:49

@RopKoob 

NO...Currently TPLink has OpenVPN only for Business site to site configuration. In other words it won't work for VPN Service Providers that require Login Information.

Like other router manufacturers they don't want to support this feature. Try ASUS Routers for this feature OR load OpenWRT, DD-WRT, FreshTomato on a different router.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:TL-R605 Openvpn configure username and password?
2022-03-01 17:59:11

@RacerX 

username and password for Openvpn users (not username and password for vpn providers)

Basically the R605 can be setup as an Openvpn server so that users can remote into the local LAN using the Openvpn client and importing the .ovpn file that the R605 generates.  However, anyone who has this .ovpn file can remote into the local LAN with no means of authentication ( no username or password) This is a security risk and not acceptable from a business perspective.  Say an employee no longer works for the company, how do you prevent Openvpn remote access for this employee when the .ovpn generated by the R605 is the same for everybody else?

Options
2022-05-29 09:09:07

@RopKoob I have this setup for a single user needing access to his offices which are also using these routers in a site to site vpn configuration so this is okish for now but I can't use this for basically any of my other clients who have multiple users because of this issue. Hopefully this gets addressed in an update sometime soon.

Options
2022-06-03 08:48:16

@RopKoob 

i think guys need to push this harder. just write feeback emails to the mailto:support.smb@tp-link.com . this request i've seen too many on the forum or request section. just tell the team, write mails. tons of mails to inform the severity of having this function added. 

ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 751

Replies: 4

Related Articles