Omada Controller_V5.1.7_Linux, when?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-03-05 06:54:09

According to changelogs, v5.1.7 says few issues with dhcp are fixed, but there is still no linux version, I kinda do not understand why there is always just release for one OS in this case windows instead releasing for all OS's?

With latest omada and er605 firmware dhcp is broken for wireless devices, there is no error/info or any other log, clients for some reason suddenly get another IP address assigned, fully ignoring dhcp reservation. Also in dhcp range, router's ip is not excluded which can lead to several issues, range should exclude router's ip.

I have this issue in all networks with latest omada, in general it screws all ipcam's which are connected over wireless as they were set with IP's because er605 does not offer dns. Here I do not understand why there is no local dns and if there is no and one has to rely on dhcp reservation which does not work, ... grrr, that's not "business" stable, it all sounds more as experimental, especially as one can not rely on it and is forced to use own dhcp/dns servers. Please fix those basic issues with omada and release please linux version too, I have no clue how many in percentage use windows as their controller OS, but I would imagine most run linux, if not, is it possible to publish how many linux users run omada in percentage?

Options
6 Reply
Re:Omada Controller_V5.1.7_Linux, when?
2022-03-06 11:23:13 - last edited 2022-03-06 11:24:22

additionally, if you offer additionally advanced dhcp settings, why is there only 3 options? I miss possibility to define other dhcp settings, but basic would be 3 and 6 (if possible 42 and 51). In main lan configuration dns server does not offer tertiary+ dns servers and advanced does have only 3 and no possibility to define custom.

Why not adding 2 fields and one add button, where one can write own options, as example?:

Options
2022-03-07 13:39:15 - last edited 2022-03-07 13:46:25

@btx 

Unfortunately this is nothing new and I have been posting about reserved IP addresses not working for quite sometime : 

Here is my latest post. 

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/533800

And here are some others : 

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/248874

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/268096

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/277444

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/503688

Sadly, they just seem to fall on deaf ears.

OmadaLinux v5.13.10 R605 V1:1.3.0 - Build 20230511 R.51317 SG2008P V1:V1.0.8 Build 20230602 R.73473 SG2008P V3:V3.0.5 Build 20230602 R.73473 3 x EAP245 V3:V5.1.0-Build 20230104 R.79433
Options
2022-03-08 08:10:52 - last edited 2022-03-08 09:35:06

@TandS thanks for the links, I think I even read one of them. I can only confirm your issue and could write several tests which I did and I do agree with you that TP-Link seems not to care about it, which is not only my impression, but today the household using 8 TP-Link cameras, er605, managed switch just ringed on my door and gave me all the hardware, in another bag he had 8 new cam's, a router, switch and access points from Mikrotik.

On one side thanks to TP-Link for receiving now free hardware, but I believe this customer will never again come back to TP-Link. Really, there is no need for it, that customer requested also firmware upgrade for ability to set static ip's of cams but no, tp-link neither releases a software for cam which could fix it, nor firmware for omada/router.. which would fix it, I saw it today for the first time in my life that somebody got up and got rid of whole network. However, this person explained also that he is often not home and his insurance requires surveillance where if no surveillance runs, insurance will pay nothing out in case of rubbery. With that argumentation I understand him as this issue for him is unresolved for months and instead of simply using another DHCP server he said he can not trust the hardware which is incapable of basic functions as well as he can trust even less that TP-Link will care.

So far, my problem has been resolved. I connected his cam's to my omada test network with only one AP and ER605, well, same issue, one has to restart the cam or click reconnect to get new address which then in unregular time sequence changes the ip, killing all the NVR and there are no records.

I do recommend in some cases Omada, luckily I was not the one who recommended tp-link to the customer above, I would feel ashamed.

THE ONLY SOLUTION: Disable DHCP server in Omada and use your old, any old router with openwrt can be easily configured as switch and run dns/dhcp on it, where Omada has no dns at all and its DHCP is broken, dont forget to add dhcp option with omada controller IP. This should resolve your issue, now my issue too as well as it would have resolved the issue for the person who ditched tp-link forever.

Options
2022-03-08 18:09:42 - last edited 2022-03-08 18:10:38

This is what I run now on a testnetwork, in mind that one does not want to disable dhcp on omada, I will write example with openwrt:

1. Set static IP, same on controller and second dhcp server (openwrt)

1.1 Set dhcp reservation on omada under settings->services-dhcp reservation

1.2 Set same static ip in Openwrt

2. Configure Omada's lan Interface

2.1 Go to settings->wired networks->lan and click on edit your lan interface

2.2 Under Legal DHCP Servers, check "Enable", as first set your omada dhcp which should be the same as IP of gateway (assuming you are using omada router). As second IP, set IP address of your second non authoritive and non dynamic dhcp on openwrt.

3. Configure second dhcp server (Example with openwrt):

3.1 Set non dynamic and unforced. Edit your LAN Interface and go to advanced settings to disable dynamic DHCP and make sure force is not enabled.

3.2 Set DHCP non authoritative under Network->DHCP

3.3 set your additional dhcp settings, like option 138 which is omada controller, as on omada one can not set more than 2 dns, I added only 2.

That's it, it runs since several hours currently with that config and no clients get wrong address. If you want to enforce that openwrt is used with devices having static ip, then make sure you disabled dynamic dhcp for the reason to serve only those IP's which are defined as static and no other as well as you can set enforce and to be autoritative, for current test I just want to see how combination of two dhcp servers work, as it seems to be on very low priority for tp-link.

Options
2022-03-08 18:18:10

For those who run their controller on linux (or other os with dhcp server), then you can run dhcp server on omada controller which in many cases is some SoC board like raspberry pi. Openwrt uses dnsmasq which you can install on raspberry pi and configure dns/dhcp with dnsmasq, I guess when somebody tries it a guide will be written, just follow installation instructions as example of dnsmasq for ubuntu and configure according to your needs.

Options
2022-03-08 21:22:29 - last edited 2022-03-08 21:23:35

After several hours, again new ip address is assigned, the only way to get around it seems to set static ip on a device itself, dhcp in omada is broken.

The only way it works with openwrt is if I enforce openwrt, but then I can disable omada's dhcp, leading to where one was before buying into omada.

Those who rely on dhcp (which is 99,99%) should refrain from buying omada router, current fw version of tested device is er605 v1.2.0. Would need to test this in standalone, but yeah, never though I will have to test dhcp in 2022 as dhcp is not working.

Options