Unscheduled Automatic Power Save Delivery not working as it should?!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Unscheduled Automatic Power Save Delivery not working as it should?!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
14 Reply
Re:Unscheduled Automatic Power Save Delivery not working as it should?!-Solution
2022-05-24 09:32:31 - last edited 2022-06-01 02:02:42

Dear @Spryde

Sorry for the delayed response. It takes some time to confirm the information with the R&D team.

Spryde wrote

Did a Wireshark on one of my SSIDs where U-APSD is activated (it's activated with all SSIDs) and also Wireshark says, that 'not implemented'.

See screenshot.

So what does it mean? Does U-APSD really doesn't work at all... Is the Controller setting broken, or am I wrong?

Would be nice to get a feedback. 

To confirm whether the U-APSD is enabled on the EAP or not, we can tell by the VALUE of the U-APSD Field in the QoS Info Field of the WMM Information Element in the beacon. As the image below shown, the value of U-APSD is 1, which means the U-APSD is enabled.

The Power Save state on the Omada Controller refers to whether the connected client is in power saving mode, when the client enters the power saving mode, it is enabled, and when the client wakes up from the power saving mode, it is disabled.

Edit: The Power Save state is not static.

During a connection, the client will set the network card to power saving mode multiple times to save power, so the client may repeatedly enter the Power Save state for a short period of time. Besides, the power save state on the controller doesn't reflect the current state of the client since the info is not refreshed for real-time.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Unscheduled Automatic Power Save Delivery not working as it should?!
2022-05-30 09:03:43

@Fae 

I am also facing the other issues in this thread. I have Power save/U-APSD enabled. Clients are able to see that the network is capable of U-APSD. However, after some time, the controller doesn't display power saving any more. The issue presents itself when the uptime is > 3 days. A full power cycle of the EAP and the controller is required to get clients to see Power Save again when clicking on Client statistics.

This is most likely a firmware issue.

Options
2022-05-31 04:20:30

I have just captured some packets with a Broadcom based device in monitor mode.

None of my Wireshark captures have that vendor specific information element nor do they display any sort of WMM/QoS IE. Additionally, all the beacon frames are malformed.

My old solution with a TP-Link Archer A7v5 did display WMM/QoS IE.

Even after a full power cycle, when powersave is re-enabled, I still can not capture any WMM frames either on the 2.4GHz or 5GHz band.

AI roaming is disabled. 2x EAP 660 HDs, OC200 controller. I've also tried an RPi4 controller and that also doesn't fix the problem. Powersave goes away after >3 days.

The issue is still present on firmware 1.1.1 and the latest OC200 controller firmware and software controller 5.3.1.

There is a problem with hostapd or the QCA firmware on these EAP 660V1 devices.

Options
2022-06-01 01:59:57

Dear @PWRLINEFW,

PWRLINEFW wrote

I have just captured some packets with a Broadcom based device in monitor mode.

None of my Wireshark captures have that vendor specific information element nor do they display any sort of WMM/QoS IE. Additionally, all the beacon frames are malformed.

Are you sure that you were checking the beacon frames from EAP660HD?

Perhaps you may check the Source MAC Address to confirm that it's from EAP660HD and double check it.

I've uploaded the detailed captured packets for your reference.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
Related Articles