Is it not possible to use port 80 externally with the Omada Controller?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-03-29 23:47:17 - last edited 2022-03-31 01:52:18
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.14.3 Build 20220112 Rel.64116

My domain name has a DNS A record pointing at my public IP which is connected to the WAN on my router.  Other sites that are port forwarded work externally when accessed with my domain name as long as the port is not 80 or 443.  If I connect to my domain name internally with no port specified, I get the ER605 page saying it's managed by the Omada Controller.  If I connect externally, my page does not load and it hangs forever.  Omada Controller does not have an option to change the router's management page ports that I could find. According to TP-Link, this can only be done if the router is in standalone mode. Standalone mode is not a viable solution since I want to keep using Omada Coltroller to manage all my appliances.  Am I going crazy here?  Is there something I'm missing?  How can a business branded router and controller not allow you to change port 80 or 443?  I just want to type domain address in a browser without a port and get to my page.  Please help.  Thanks!

Options
8 Reply
Re:Is it not possible to use port 80 externally with the Omada Controller?
2022-03-30 13:11:35
Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2022-03-31 01:46:17 - last edited 2022-03-31 01:54:11

Sorry that didn't help, but I appreciate your answer.  I edited my question to make it a little clearer. I'm currently using the Omada Controller. I was just stating that the option to change the ports is only available in standalone which I do not want to use.

Options
2022-03-31 10:31:09

@N3rdR4ge 

If I didn't misunderstand your question, you mean that there is a Server on the LAN internal network that also uses port numbers 80/443 and you want to access it from the WAN side, but it always goes directly to the router's management interface, right?

Have you set up the open port rule at the router?
For example, give your Server an open port and note that the IP should be filled in with the Server's IP and not the router's IP.

Options
2022-04-01 03:12:25

@Virgo 

That's correct.

I think you're referring to Transmission>NAT>Port Forward.  If so, I've tried adding port 80 with the server IP.  It still goes to the router page.  I have other servers with different ports that work fine this way.  Is that what you meant?

Options
2022-04-01 04:55:31

@N3rdR4ge 

Yes, that is what I'm talking about.

But what about changing the server's port number to others besides 80/443?

Options
2022-04-01 04:58:45 - last edited 2022-04-01 05:38:42

@Virgo 

The three servers I've tested have worked when I change them to other ports.

Options
2022-04-01 05:41:15

@Virgo 

You might have seen my other post about resolving it.  I actually didn't.  I realized I was connected to WiFi.  Sorry for the confusion.  Still same issue.

What I did find is that when I set the port 80 on an application on one of my other servers I hadn't tested on yet, I am able to internally connect.  The issue still stands when trying to connect externally. 

Options
2022-04-01 06:43:52

@Virgo 

I think I got the answer. I highly suspected my ISP was blocking port 80 since it worked internally.  I found that they explicitly say I don't have access to enable that port on one of their pages in my account. Guess I'll call them tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1306

Replies: 9

Related Articles