How does Threshold Control actually work?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-04-01 13:17:27 - last edited 2022-04-01 14:34:11
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.14.3 20220112 rel 64116

I would like to understand EXACTLY how the highlighted value below interact to enable Transmission->Bandwidth Control policies.

Specifically, is it by exceeding a percentage of EITHER the UL or DL, Both added together, ???

Since I am mostly constrained by UL, how would I configure it to only engage when the UL exceeds a percentage (ie set DL value very high?)

What kind of hysteresis is built into the control algorithm, ie Control is triggered, but the policies take the BW below the trigger point, how do we avoid flapping?

I've noticed that the traffic shaping control algorithm allows overshoot (underdamped), ie if the limit is set to 5M, the client can often shoot up to 10M before levelling back off around 5M long term.  Since I'm trying to avoid packet loss, can I assume that 2x is a typical overshoot and thus design my control limits accordingly?

I have 3 SSID/VLANs, let's call them Public/Internal/Security.  I am thinking I would like to stagger the policies such that Limit_Public kicks in at say 70%, Limit_Internal at 90% and Limit_Security at 95%.  Currently it's an all or nothing solution.  Alternatively, could I have tables for each limit rule and set limits from 0-50%, 50-70%, 70-90% and 90%+ based on usage (again back to the either, both or something else question above)?

Appreciate any insight that can be offered!

for completeness here's what the User Guide says...rather ambiguous :)

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
3 Reply
Re:How does Threshold Control actually work?
2022-04-04 05:36:49

@d0ugmac1 

I think the user guide is more straightforward about how it works: https://static.tp-link.com/2021/202102/20210208/1910012985_ER605&ER7206(UN)_UG.pdf

It's on page 56.

Options
2022-04-04 13:44:33

@John1234 

Thanks, that does provide a little more insight, including the concept of 'direction' as a parameter.  So it would appear that Standalone mode will allow a policy to be applied on a percentage of a bitrate in  a given direction.  However it is still not clear if Up/Down/or Both are all valid options or how the Omada Controller maps the input to one or more rules.  I guess I will have to reverse engineer its operation after hours sometime.  

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2022-04-05 04:48:11

@d0ugmac1 

I read your description again and I think that you can use this.

So, basically, the bandwidth control gives you some control over the network you have. You can define a network using like 20% of your total WAN bandwidth. You can define the upload and download speed used by the network you selected. 

UL/DL are valid and effective when you are creating a rule. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 423

Replies: 3