331 Reply
Re:Add local DNS server to ER605
2023-06-13 10:59:41

@Fae ??

Options
Re:Add local DNS server to ER605-Solution
2023-06-15 03:01:39 - last edited 2023-06-15 03:01:42

Hello @ChrisEvans, @jd001 and other community members,

Thank you for your feedback and inquiry. I understand that you are eager to know more about the feature request of the local DNS server mentioned in this thread. At this time, we do not have specific information on when the feature will be released or which router model will add the feature of local DNS server finally. 

But please rest assured that our development team is working diligently to provide the best possible updates for our customers. Every feature request is taken into consideration, and we appreciate your patience as we work to prioritize and implement them.

This post will be updated as soon as the feature becomes available. In the meantime, if you require to support the local DNS server feature urgently, we recommend exploring alternative solutions that may meet your needs.

Once again, we appreciate your support and feedback on our product, and we will continue to strive towards meeting our customers' expectations.

*Please kindly note that the information provided here is based on the current information we have, it is provided for informational purposes only, not a guarantee or a promise. Any plans are subject to change, the final firmware releases shall prevail.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
2023-06-15 04:42:45

@Fae So you basically tell your customers to f off. I spent several hundreds for hardware that cannot do what 50 EUR hardware can. Unacceptable.

Options
2023-06-15 05:01:46

@Fae 

I contest that you are merely providing an attempt to show that TP-Link actually cares.

I'm sure by now TP-Link has noticed this monumental stuff up and is actually doing absolutely nothing about it and I doubt they will, because they just dont care about consumers feedback. Whats concerning to me, is that users of these products and the 118 comments on this one forum post about the product are the very people who punt and use your products on the ground level, network admins, technicians, engineers etc.

I have over 25 years of experience in the networking field, having worked on old Coaxial networks up to the most recent technologies and I can tell you that leaving out such a basic function on a device that targets this segment of the market has to be one of the most pointless things ever done by a development team.

Options
2023-06-15 07:25:19 - last edited 2023-06-15 07:26:17

Fae wrote

Hello @ChrisEvans, @jd001 and other community members,

Thank you for your feedback and inquiry. I understand that you are eager to know more about the feature request of the local DNS server mentioned in this thread. At this time, we do not have specific information on when the feature will be released or which router model will add the feature of local DNS server finally. 

But please rest assured that our development team is working diligently to provide the best possible updates for our customers. Every feature request is taken into consideration, and we appreciate your patience as we work to prioritize and implement them.

This post will be updated as soon as the feature becomes available. In the meantime, if you require to support the local DNS server feature urgently, we recommend exploring alternative solutions that may meet your needs.

Once again, we appreciate your support and feedback on our product, and we will continue to strive towards meeting our customers' expectations.

*Please kindly note that the information provided here is based on the current information we have, it is provided for informational purposes only, not a guarantee or a promise. Any plans are subject to change, the final firmware releases shall prevail.

@Fae thank you for the update and it's appreciated that the TP-Link engineering team is looking into it.

Many people are eagerly waiting for this feature because there is really no good alternative. I can setup my own external DNS server but it won't be able to resolve local host names that are given out via DHCP by the TP-Link router. Now I could also setup a DHCP server, for each VLAN, etc. and things becomes quiet a bit complicated. 

My current solution is to not use a TP-Link router but instead an OPNsense firewall which has all these features built in. This is a good working solution but the big drawback is I can't use Omada to manage my network end-to-end and I don't get the reporting capabilities and visibility.

This missing local DNS server in the TP-Link routers is not only impacting the routers itself but your wider Omada SDN initiative. 

Options
2023-06-15 08:05:34 - last edited 2023-06-15 08:05:57

@Fae @aschmid

Frankly speaking the unavailability of this feature is a huge flaw in the whole Omada system. I cannot find the words for this level of ignorance, @Fae can you finally please put some pressure on someone who's technically capable of understanding that missing this feature literally renders Omada unusable. If you can't, then please talk to someone from the sales team so I can send you all my hardware back and get a full refund.Omada without this is like buying a car without tires, except that for the car you actually have the option to buy alternatives. With Omada, there isn't.

Options
Re:Add local DNS server to ER605 - Urgent Call for DNS Resolver Implementation in ER605 Routers
2023-06-15 09:28:44 - last edited 2023-06-15 09:31:49

Dear TP-Link Team,

I am writing to you on behalf of a multitude of TP-Link users who have expressed their concerns and desires regarding the addition of a local DNS server to the ER605 router firmware. The collective voices of your customers have filled numerous threads in your community forums with a clear and insistent request: Please add a local DNS server to the ER605​.

The lack of this fundamental feature is not just surprising but also disappointing for a product that is marketed as a business solution. It is perplexing to see that even a $20 router includes a built-in local resolver, while the ER605, an enterprise-level solution priced at $60, does not​.

We understand that you have acknowledged our concerns and our request has been forwarded to your developer team​. However, we are yet to see this feature implemented. The delay has resulted in users having to resort to unsatisfactory workarounds, such as running dnsmasq on their servers, which is not a practical solution for everyone​.

It is crucial to highlight here that the lack of this feature is not just an inconvenience, but it is also impacting the perceived value of your product in the eyes of your customers. Many have voiced their dissatisfaction, stating that this oversight makes the ER605 router appear less capable than expected​.

We appreciate TP-Link's efforts towards providing quality products to its users, but this omission is a blemish on your otherwise stellar reputation. It is essential to rectify this situation promptly, as it could lead to a significant shift in customer preference towards alternative solutions, such as the OpenWrt project.

Notably, there is ongoing development within the OpenWrt community to add support for ER605 routers. The initiative is currently in its final stages, and once completed, it could potentially offer an alternative solution to the shortcomings of the current firmware. The evolving nature of open source projects like OpenWrt and their proactive development community pose a real alternative that users might pivot towards, if their needs continue to be unaddressed​.

https://forum.openwrt.org/t/looking-for-info-and-possibility-of-future-support-of-tp-link-omada-er605-router/91868

We hope that you take these concerns seriously and expedite the implementation of the DNS resolver function in the ER605 routers. The credibility and reputation of TP-Link as a reliable provider of networking solutions is at stake, and addressing these concerns promptly will go a long way in maintaining the trust of your customer base.

Looking forward to a prompt and positive response.

Greetings

Options
2023-06-15 09:37:40

@Fae 

I have now waited months for this option, now it's over. I throw away the junk from tp-link now. 

Options
2023-06-15 10:48:43

@Fae Sorry but the corporate tone of your reply is just not acceptable at this stage.

This sentence in particular is just absurd: "At this time, we do not have specific information on when the feature will be released or which router model will add the feature of local DNS server finally." This means you are not even guaranteeing that the ER605 will get the feature...

Huge mistake to choose TP Link... You lost a customer for future products.

Options
2023-06-15 20:31:22 - last edited 2023-06-15 20:38:20

Hi,

I have built a coredns plugin which can help this. It uses the Omada api to get a list of DHCP clients periodically to build up the DNS zone.

This still needs to be hosted as an external DNS server to the Omada gateway, but the goal was to extend the Omada SDN rather than replacing it (which also means if/when TP-Link do implement a native local DNS server, it will be super easy to switch back to it).

https://github.com/dougbw/coredns_omada if you are interested.

Options

Voters 222

+ 218 Voters