Votes

Add local DNS server to ER605

Votes

Add local DNS server to ER605

353 Reply
Re:Add local DNS server to ER605
2024-01-04 09:38:55 - last edited 2024-01-04 09:42:15

@Clive_A I'm a software developer myself and I know that implementing this feature is not the big bad wolf you make it to be. Any 20$ domestic router supports this out of the box. Are you meaning to tell me that a 70$ enterprise grade router does not have the necessary hardware for this? That's just absurd. Don't try to blindside us. Sorry to say this, but this is pure incompetence.

Options
2024-01-04 09:54:47

Hi @tokenize

tokenize wrote

@Clive_A I'm a software developer myself and I know that implementing this feature is not the big bad wolf you make it to be. Any 20$ domestic router supports this out of the box. Are you meaning to tell me that a 70$ enterprise grade router does not have the necessary hardware for this? That's just absurd. Don't try to blindside us. Sorry to say this, but this is pure incompetence.

You can also send an email to the support team and check if I am telling the truth. I know what the forum and customers like and dislike yet I am telling the truth. It's beyond my pay grade to decide whether a product is EOL or discontinued with new features.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2024-01-05 03:14:24

@Clive_A Hi,

I admit, I'm a "tad" frustrated by this delay as well, but I'm not here to rant. Rather, trying (again cheeky) to propose a couple workarounds, to provide some relief until the final solution can be released. Or at least, some thoughts.

1) I have build OpenWrt for several routers, so I don't mind recompiling dnsmasq => install as a package, if ssh access is provided?

2) Or, perhaps you could provide the package?

Also, a question - the version of OpenWrt on the router is quite old (something like 7-8 years I think?). Will this be updated also, bring in many new security fixes?

Thanks!

Options
2024-01-05 04:24:47 - last edited 2024-01-05 04:31:05

Hi @arrmo 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

arrmo wrote

@Clive_A Hi,

I admit, I'm a "tad" frustrated by this delay as well, but I'm not here to rant. Rather, trying (again cheeky) to propose a couple workarounds, to provide some relief until the final solution can be released. Or at least, some thoughts.

1) I have build OpenWrt for several routers, so I don't mind recompiling dnsmasq => install as a package, if ssh access is provided?

2) Or, perhaps you could provide the package?

Also, a question - the version of OpenWrt on the router is quite old (something like 7-8 years I think?). Will this be updated also, bring in many new security fixes?

Thanks!

No. Two options you offered are not gonna be a feasible solution from me.

First, if you play around with the openwrt, you should know sometimes it needs the chipset to support it. It is not that easy to flash it if you have a package ready to go.

Moreover, you need to dismantle the device to enter the boot and flash it sometimes. Even if there is a guide internally that I am not aware of, and I have access to it somehow, I cannot share it. You think too much on this. And I will not answer anything naive like this. I signed the NDA and I have rules to bind, why would I risk losing my job for such a silly thing? Not to mention I cannot send anything unauthorized to you. Please stop asking this kind of question.

I am doing my best to offer you the information and records that you asked for to the dev. Sometimes, it is not something I can do for you. Unfortunately, sometimes, it is the truth.

I also need to remind you if there is an OpenWrt or any wrt that can flash on the ER605 V1, or any Omada router based on your own will, please note we don't offer any help after you flash the system to a different one. Warranty also voids at the moment you dismantle or flash a third-party system.

Other models and V2 probably will have this local DNS feature, for the V1, read what I wrote earlier. It is not my decision. For other models, V5.15 will be the ETA version to have this feature.

About the kernel update, I cannot give you the answer and this is up to the dev. Still, read what was written previously. This model is EOL, kernal update would be a huge work and I think it is a small chance.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2024-01-05 12:30:29

@Clive_A Hi,

Sorry, I think you misunderstood my point. I wasn't trying to find a way to make V1 work - I understand your EOL comment, no issue here. I was just trying to find a workaround / temporary solution for "yet to be supported" HW. Meaning - a band-aid, that may be a short term solution, while development is working on this. Packages can be installed without a re-flash, that's why I was asking ... provide this so that DNS is at least walking for now, before we try to run.

Thanks.

Options
RE:Add local DNS server to ER605
2024-01-05 23:55:03
This would be amazing!
Options
2024-01-06 12:32:19

I am really new to this omada thing. Got my router, oc-200 like a week ago. I was checking stuffs like VLANs, provisioning, DHCP etc. I was kinda happy with the capabilities provided with the controller. It makes your life easier.

However, i never checked DNS side of things, never had to. Because, this is you know basic stuff. Today, first time i opened Site Setting > Services and no DNS server option.

While googling around, i found this page. And i am kinda shocked. surprise

Omada still have room for improvement, but seriously, please put basic stuffs when releasing a product.

Options
2024-01-06 12:33:11
Basic stuff, needs to be implemented asap.
Options
2024-01-07 07:42:31

Was just doing a last bit of research before upgrading my network. I'm both glad and bummed I came across this, but not nearly as bummed as if I'd found out after I spent all my this money. This is wild, not something I want to have to worry about.  

Options
2024-01-09 22:07:14
I bought a complete Omada System. It is absolutely not reproducable why there is no DNS - server inplemeted. Thinking about returning the whole stuff, if there won't be a upgrade for this. Please follow the customers input.Thanks
Options

Voters 237

+ 233 Voters