Votes

Add local DNS server to ER605

Votes

Add local DNS server to ER605

315 Reply
Re:Add local DNS server to ER605
2024-01-13 12:52:08

@jd001 I'm not missing any point, dude keeps calling this an "enterprise" router and it's not. He keeps saying he's going to sell his gear, and go with Ubiquity, nobody cares. I have several "servers" plugged into my network, I have zero expectations of my router being a server of any kind, and I don't expect to be able to manage any servers via SDN. Real networks have real DNS servers and this is the last I'm going to comment on this. Also as a developer you should understand that just because someone thinks they need something doesn't mean they are going to get it. They have already accepted the feature and I believe we will get it at some point, continuing to whine about it isn't getting it done. 

Options
2024-01-13 13:00:25 - last edited 2024-01-13 13:01:36

Haven't you figured out what it is yet? there will be no such option here, and if there is, it will be in the form of a lame crutch. Why do you think they launched the Pro line?

Options
2024-01-15 17:47:24

For comparison, not to be unfounded.... EAP620v1 was released in 2021 with a lot of advertising, as the first point of HD AX. We all bought it hoping for long-term support.... But the same firmware was no longer updated, completely forgotten! At once... And this applies to all TP-Link equipment. As soon as you buy the equipment, within a short time the exact same box comes out, but in a different version, and you are left alone with your box forever. We continue, Ruckus R710 was released in 2015 as a completely finished solution, the latest firmware is October 2023 (you can check) And this R710 tears up the flagship EAP670 in all respects, literally...not a single chance (And the most important thing is cheaper, for example, we have a total of 2.5 - 3 times)... The choice is yours

Options
2024-01-16 22:04:53

@dn828 Well, the last thing I am going to comment on this is that I still think you are not getting it. Don't know what the other guy called it, but TP-Link themselves market Omada as a "small business" solution. The give examples of usage, for instance a hotel. The focus is on having it all managed via SDN, so you can focus in your core business, not on hacking together some weird "solution". I bought Omada as a stable backbone for my home automation system, knowing it is probably oversized a little. But matter of fact, it doesn't fit even for *this* scenario. What is Omada really trying to be? Huge enterprise solution? No. Small business solution? Obviously not capable of that. Bare metal collection for hacking together stuff yourself? Then why the SDN bs.

I expected Omada to be a headache free solution, completely configured in software, so I can swap my hardware in case of defect or when there is more capable hardware without reconfiguring hundreds of client devices in my home everytime I make a change, but also without running and maintaining a huge infrastructure. It is not capable of this, and it is seemingly exactly what comparable ecosystems do.

Options
2024-01-16 23:09:40

@jd001 How is running a DNS server on your small business, enterpise, or home network a "hacked together weird solution"? 

Options
2024-01-16 23:17:20

@dn828 you really don't understand do you? The point is to have the possibility to resolve local hostnames. Every normal router has this feature. I want precisely that my EXTERNAL DNS server knows the hostnames of the local IP addresses.

Options
2024-01-16 23:37:57 - last edited 2024-01-16 23:39:50

@dn828 Doorbell is accessible at doorbell.local, IP assigned via DHCP. Not possible with Omada. You can spin your own DHCP server, local DNS. It breaks down or you upgrade hardware, hassle, nothing works. you have to set it up yourself from scratch. Update it yourself. With SDN, you plug it in, provision, done. Any work needed.

Options
2024-01-17 00:14:15

@jd001 .local should be used for mdns. Does your doorbell use mdns? Adding home assistant to the Profiles->Bojour Services resolves homeassitant.local for me no problem without running anything else like a pi-hole as it uses mdns. Sounds like you might want to read up on mdns and .local as it's not recommened to use .local for things other than mdns any longer. Google RFC 6762, 3 as this forum won't let me post links. 

Options
2024-01-17 00:54:39

@dn828 No, it doesn't.

Options
2024-01-18 11:30:48

@jd001 

jd001 wrote

@dn828 Well, the last thing I am going to comment on this is that I still think you are not getting it. Don't know what the other guy called it, but TP-Link themselves market Omada as a "small business" solution. The give examples of usage, for instance a hotel. The focus is on having it all managed via SDN, so you can focus in your core business, not on hacking together some weird "solution". I bought Omada as a stable backbone for my home automation system, knowing it is probably oversized a little. But matter of fact, it doesn't fit even for *this* scenario. What is Omada really trying to be? Huge enterprise solution? No. Small business solution? Obviously not capable of that. Bare metal collection for hacking together stuff yourself? Then why the SDN bs.

I expected Omada to be a headache free solution, completely configured in software, so I can swap my hardware in case of defect or when there is more capable hardware without reconfiguring hundreds of client devices in my home everytime I make a change, but also without running and maintaining a huge infrastructure. It is not capable of this, and it is seemingly exactly what comparable ecosystems do.

Guess why they don't implement this? Most my users, small business, don't use this because this is small hotel setup. And they need portal and other ap stuff related stuff. Thats the top priority. Portal related stuff was implemented way early in the versions. You don't use it so you think their dev impotent and for all the years they are doing nothing but changes new models. My hotel owners don't need to use this fancy stuff. The mostly use dpi and ips and other which lucky us, we have it.

Omada can do painless migration when you get new models but you need to know how it works. If you don't do 20-30 times adoption or you know nothing about the networkin, you'd get in trouble mostly.

Home iot migration would be easier if you keep the same SSID. I don't know what would be troublesome.

Also guess how it survives the COVID and thrives during the pandemic. They work very well for hotel and hospital scenario. I still get people like hotel owners coming to this solution because it's cheap and b

udget friendly.

So get over with it. Sell them and buy Meraki really a perfect solution for home users. Omada is too cring for people like you. Too outdated. I would recommend people like you to use meraki. That's perfect for them. Don't get in this fight with them. They delays this for over a year.

ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Options

Voters 205

+ 201 Voters