Omada SDN nearly bricked my router

2022-04-11 13:55:55 - last edited 2022-04-14 12:26:51
Model: TL-ER6020
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.20

Hi there, i have my ER605 router all configured appropriately for my location using the built-in UI. When i went to my server where i had the Omada SDN installed, and went to Adopt the router, it kept switching between Adopting to Configuring, and it kept going back and forth. It got to a point where i couldn't access the router at all from my configured settings, and after watching it switch back and forth for 20mins, with my Internet being down the entire time, i had to do a factory reset of the router and reload my config file back in. I haven't tried to do the Omada setup again, because i would like to keep my pre-configured settings. Did i do something wrong, or does the Omada setup wipe all settings out of the router by default? Thanks

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Omada SDN nearly bricked my router-Solution
2022-04-13 22:45:27 - last edited 2022-04-14 12:26:51

@mknabster 

No sadly there is not

Generally there the controller is much easier to configure than the router GUI.   You should be able to open the 2 windows side by side and copy / compare the changes / passwords etc across.. done that before!

Once configured on controller, just adopt her and should be good

Recommended Solution
Options
7 Reply
Re:Omada SDN nearly bricked my router
2022-04-11 19:49:08

@mknabster 

Adopting the router will wipe/remove any locally configured settings and apply the settings you have supplied via the controller.   Others have experienced issues adopting a router that was heavily configured, its better to adopt the router when its factory reset / untouched.

On your controller, under settings > wired networks > internet    configure your router ISP setting there.   Then factory reset the router and adopt it via the controller, it will then configure the setting you have supplied to the controller.

Options
2022-04-12 07:50:08

Hi  @mknabster 

To assist you efficiently, I've forwarded your case to the TP-Link support team who will contact you with your registered email address later.

Please pay attention to the email box for follow-up. Thank you so much for your cooperation and patience.

If this was helpful click the Triangles button below. If this solved your issue, please mark it "Recommended Solution" to help others.
Options
2022-04-12 13:21:41
Oh good to know on the router, i needed to pre-configure it for my network, because i was doing a live deploy of it but wasn't expecting the network to be down like this. Now what if i'm using the Omada Software Controller?
Options
2022-04-12 21:42:36

@mknabster 

If you are using a controller (hardware or software, they are the same) configure your Internet settings in admin / wired networks / internet then adopt the controller (ideally with no config on it)

Options
2022-04-13 19:19:30 - last edited 2022-04-14 12:26:58
Thanks, I'll mess around with the controller a bit then. I'm guessing there's no easy way to move the config from the router to the controller?
Options
Re:Omada SDN nearly bricked my router-Solution
2022-04-13 22:45:27 - last edited 2022-04-14 12:26:51

@mknabster 

No sadly there is not

Generally there the controller is much easier to configure than the router GUI.   You should be able to open the 2 windows side by side and copy / compare the changes / passwords etc across.. done that before!

Once configured on controller, just adopt her and should be good

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-04-14 12:26:32
Thanks for all your help Phillbert, it has been really helpful! I'll need to try this again when i have a day that nobody needs to access the network. Thanks again
Options
Related Articles