Upgrade problems OC200 firmware 1.15.2 controller 5.1.7

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-04-16 11:06:06 - last edited 2022-04-16 23:23:33
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.15.2

I'm in Australia - received the red dot prompt on my app to upgrade firmware Friday even though 1.15.2 not showing on TP-Link Aust website. I guess a clue there ....but really they have my country in Omada cloud so surely they can direct the software not to prompt me in app or on cloud Omada.  I upgraded via the phone App. 

Upgrade worked and but wouldn't come back online. I work 3000 klms away from home. Internet lost to complete home network. With 3 x EAP245 plus

equipment ER605 v1 v1.2.0 + Oc200 v1.14.3 + Cisco unmanaged switch.  Love the Omada system especially the hardware controller ease and App is excellent.  

For reasons unknown the controller upgrade caused the WAN ISP offline approx. 30+ log messages no response from server.  I recall getting 700 similar messages back in feb when upgraded to 1.14.3 and in frenzy of fixing can't recall how fixed. I think I had to hard reset and re adopt all devices as I missed updating the random device account password. 

I have NBN FTTC modem and my son plugged into the modem on both occasions- full internet - so I now strongly suspect after two upgrades that there must be some code issue with the controller software in how it tells the ER605 the WAN settings on upgrade/reboot ??? I have my OC200 powered through Poe to the Cisco switch so it never lost power during the upgrade and my son was able to log into it locally without any problems. The only common thread so far is I have done both upgrades via the App rather than in person via the local controller updates/.bin file manual updates....so next time will wait till I'm there in person and maybe do a manual "Check for updates" option via local controller login and see if anything different ?

After 2 hours of power cycling to no avail with others in household, I was able to get my IT knowledgeable son involved. He was able to login to the Controller fine. When he looked at the WAN settings on the ER605 it said non existed so he tried force provisioning/adopting from the controller but he said he chose that option and it took like 1 second and said Ok ? we thought it would maybe take longer...maybe 3-5 seconds ?. He said that didn't work and my biggest regret is he didn't get any screen shots for logging a support call. In desperation I reverted back to 1.14.3 as a .bin firmware manual update.  The instant the controller down graded, the ER605 instantly connected to my ISP (dynamic IP setting) and I could see it on Omada Cloud where I work 3000 klms away. 

However due to no config back up ( will fix tomorrow with a usb) and my own lack of device account password recording, I now have to perform hard resets on all devices as they all now say "Managed by Others" and readopt unless any other solutions.  Up until 2022 I previously ran a Ubiquiti Edge Router ERL3 in the mix and remotely updated software and it never missed a beat connecting to standard dynamic ip isp provider. However I wanted the full functionality of the controller - visibility of the network, so I swapped out to the ER605 V1 during early Feb 22.

Will be interested to hear if others have similar problems or just my own fault pressing update to global version not yet showing on Aust. TP-Link

Options
6 Reply
Re:Upgrade problems OC200 firmware 1.15.2 controller 5.1.7
2022-04-17 21:07:42 - last edited 2022-04-18 00:37:51

Yesterday I re-adopted all the devices in relation to my earlier post reverting back to Controller 1.14.3 firmware and 5.0.3 controller. I am wondering if anyone has come across this problem before and has any advice as just doesn't seem normal.

It did this virtual same thing back in March when upgraded to 1.14.3. Did ring ISP at the time (in March) initially thinking that ISP had an issue as was around exact time as major storms in the area. They said everything was normal and laptop was fine when plugged directly into NBN FTTC modem and again never had reason to fault ISP and previously with Ubiquiti ERL3 ran without error for 10 months until swap out to controller managed ER605 during Feb 2022

Yesterday Timeline:

Adopted 3 x EAP245 v3

Adopted 1 x ER605 v1 fw1.2.0

Powered off NBN FTTC Modem

Powered off Router

Controller Setup - Internet Settings - Dynamic IP - Only additions were custom DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 after seeing a range of TP community comments that these might help?

then powered down the complete cabinet Rack 4.45pm local time

Checked locally Controller 1 hour later 5.45 pm - 101 error logs "[Failed] ER605 Failed to obtain the IP address for WAN because no response from the server"

Did Force Provisioning from ER605 settings to re-adopt the settings from the Controller 5.45pm - said "Succeeded'

System finally came up 6.23 pm - 140 error logs

System went off again 6.55 pm

System came back on 7.14 pm - 167 error logs

System went off again 7.39 pm

System came online again 7.49pm 

Then has stayed on since then - now 178 logs and stable 12 hours later...

thanks

Options
2022-04-18 10:18:11

Dear @BigRev,

BigRev wrote

Yesterday I re-adopted all the devices in relation to my earlier post reverting back to Controller 1.14.3 firmware and 5.0.3 controller. I am wondering if anyone has come across this problem before and has any advice as just doesn't seem normal.

It did this virtual same thing back in March when upgraded to 1.14.3. Did ring ISP at the time (in March) initially thinking that ISP had an issue as was around exact time as major storms in the area. They said everything was normal and laptop was fine when plugged directly into NBN FTTC modem and again never had reason to fault ISP and previously with Ubiquiti ERL3 ran without error for 10 months until swap out to controller managed ER605 during Feb 2022

Sorry to hear that you have some trouble with the OC200 firmware upgrade.

I tried upgrading the OC200 firmware 1.15.2 in the lab, but didn't reproduce the problem you described.

The issue you are experiencing sounds unusual, I'd like to escalate your case to the TP-Link support team for further investigation.
They will reach you via your registered email address shortly, please pay attention to your email box later.

Thank you so much for your cooperation and patience!

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2022-06-08 04:12:40

@Fae 

I am also getting same error, thinking that the issues is hardware related. Bought new Omada oc200 worked at first since i didnt upgrade yet to newer version 5.1.7 but after the upgrade I got an error of Failed to get IP then it never went online again. Please assist as I am just managing this remotely 

Options
2022-06-08 09:48:52

Dear @justAce,

justAce wrote

Bought new Omada oc200 worked at first since i didnt upgrade yet to newer version 5.1.7 but after the upgrade I got an error of Failed to get IP then it never went online again. Please assist as I am just managing this remotely 

Do you have a screenshot to show us the error page?

Do you mean that the OC200 is showing offline from the Omada Cloud Portal (https://omada.tplinkcloud.com) at present?

If it's the case, I'm afraid that it would be necessary to check whether the OC200 is working well in the local network.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2022-06-09 16:50:06

@justAce 

I just did an upgrade on an OC200 fresh outta the box and it came back up for me.

Dear @Fae - we need an omada smart-plug that we can both control and has a pre-set to cycle itself when it can't see the tp-link cloud.

Options
2022-08-02 02:54:20

@BigRev to close this post out - I just upgraded today to the new firmware 1.17.7 to take the controller from 5.1.7 to 5.3.2 and the latest firmware and bug fixes fixed my upgrade problems initial logged on this forum some months ago :)  It took all of 6 minutes to upgrade and the WAN connection came straight back. A small amount of logs on startup (17) versus 200 to 300 experienced in the past which I am very pleased with !.

Thanks TP-LINK for fixing this. I can interesting see a new "Block ping from WAN" exception checkbox option in the Network Security- Attack Defense and wondering if that was the fix. Anyways great to upgrade so easily again!  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 943

Replies: 6