Vlans tag IPTV on lan port

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-05-01 19:08:16 - last edited 2022-05-06 10:07:11
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.0.0 Build 20220106

Im not a network expert, but was trying some experiments with the ER605 to try replace my ISP router.

My ONT delivers 3 services encapsulated in vlans, Internet on vlan 11, VOIP on vlan 12 and IPTV on vlan 13.

Trough the IPTV section of the router i got it to work (only havent tested VOIP).

The problem is that im forced to assign each service to a different port on the router, and i wanted to be able to pass this services though a single port on the lan and mark the vlans as tagged.

This is a diagram of what i have now.

And this is how i would like it to be.

Anyone has any idea of how to achive it?
I also noticed even tho the internet service is tagged on vlan 11 on the wan, i access it on the vlan 1(default vlan) of the lan, so maybe would be something similar to that?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Vlans tag IPTV on lan port-Solution
2022-05-05 05:12:50 - last edited 2022-05-06 10:07:11

@Poke96 

Your latest reply reminds me of a very similar previous post that may help you understand the issue better.

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/542172

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Vlans tag IPTV on lan port
2022-05-03 07:53:12

@Poke96 

You use this router in standalone or managed by a controller?

If it is controller managed and there is only one router, it may be difficult to achieve what you have mentioned as there appears to be no way to set the ports profile on the router and a switch may have to be added.

Hope this is helpful: https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/788/

Options
2022-05-03 16:42:23

@Virgo 

I was using the router in standalone mode, but i installed the Omada SDN now to see if there was something there that could help.

But in the controller things get even more confused, i activated it on IPTV secion under Services like in standalone mode. Went to the ports profile to see if i could create a new profile, but when i went there only found the LAN there, at least on standalone i see all the vlans.

As you mencioned doesnt seem to be a way to asign vlans to the router ports on the controller, only asigning port profiles on the switches ports, managed by the controller.

The problem is that also doesnt seem to be a way to create a profile using the vlans selected on the IPTV section, so im assuming the only way to use those services is connect the devices directly to the port of the router selected on that section.

This is the section in Omada

This is the section in standalone mode

Thanks for your advice, as i said previously im doing experiments to try see if i could replace my ISP router, so i could have more contol over my home network and a better and more flexible router, but this is a drawback because the TV-BOX would have always to be connected directly to the router.

Options
Re:Vlans tag IPTV on lan port-Solution
2022-05-05 05:12:50 - last edited 2022-05-06 10:07:11

@Poke96 

Your latest reply reminds me of a very similar previous post that may help you understand the issue better.

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-05-05 21:52:56

Virgo wrote

@Poke96 

@Virgo 

Thanks, yea was exactly that what i was looking for! if i had found that post before would not have opened this one haha.

Thats a nice work around to make it work, atuaclly recently i found something similar in other context, where people were using switches with isolated vlans to "bundle" connections where in normal circumcatanes would need to route 2 separate ethernet cables, but with that they only need 1.

Is great to know that there is a way to make it work, although unfortantly for me i was thinking to have the router and switch in diferent places because would be more convienient in my situation. I think i need to consider well the pros and cons of this situation.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 781

Replies: 4

Related Articles