Loss of segment

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Loss of segment

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Loss of segment
Loss of segment
2022-05-03 05:15:37 - last edited 2022-05-20 00:53:55
Model: EAP225-Outdoor  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0

Hi all

I have an issue with part of my network dropping and not recovering if power is lost to my TL-SG2008P Switch.

My main network runs all OK, but I have an extended network which branches off using two EAP225 Outdoor antennas facing each other as a link. At the far side of my link I have a TL-SG2008P Switch, which powers up my EAP225 outdoor antenna and a EAP620 HD for coverage in that area. Both antennas are powered via the PoE+ ports on the switch.

If power is lost to the switch, the two antennas also power off, but when power is restored, the link between the two EAP225 Outdoor antennas don't restore, even though the RSL of the antennas are very good, at around -48.

Both my antennas have a static IP assigned to them.

Is there something I am not doing correctly like a configuration issue for this to happen, or is this always to be?

I would appreciate any assistance on my issue.

Many thanks.

Colin

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Loss of segment-Solution
2022-05-20 00:53:42 - last edited 2022-05-20 00:53:55

@xmtr34 

I see there is a new firmware available for the EAP225- Outdoor which has fixed my issue. It enables me now to select the preferred access point to the EAP225-Outdoor at the remote end, so when my switch fails and everything reboots, it picks up the RF link not the switch as the network.

I don't know wether this was your input into this, but it has worked.

I can now keep my SG2008P managed and my remote EAP225 powered from the PoE of the switch.

Thanks 👍

Recommended Solution
Options
14 Reply
Re:Loss of segment
2022-05-03 15:13:53

@xmtr34 

I do exactly the same thing and haven't had this issue.  I am using an OC200 (5.0.30 and now 5.1.7) as the Omada controller for meshing, what are you using?

Also, please make sure the following Site->Services settings are enabled:

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2022-05-03 15:31:01

@d0ugmac1 

Thanks for the reply.

I am also using an OC200 v 5.1.7.

I am using a custom IP in my connectivity detection field, 192.168.0.1 which is my VPN router address. All my devices are in the same IP range from 1 to 253, however, I've just checked the Auto tab to see if this changes things. I'll give it a reset when there are no users on it and let you know if this fixes my issue. 

Do you physically point your AP's to a destination IP address and have them static, or do you have them set to DHCP?

Thanks again.

Options
2022-05-03 15:41:16

@xmtr34 

I always use DHCP to assign IPs for all my devices, but with Reserved IP's configured for my switches/APs so I can easily find them...so yes, my router is also 192.168.0.1, the switch .2 the APs begin in the .10's etc. :)  This allows all the magic auto-discovery/auto-provisioning bits of the Omada solution to do their thing.  I have tested and I can factory default a remote 225-outdoor and it will get auto discovered, and auto-reprovisioned back to it's proper config and IP once it boots back up.

Options
2022-05-03 15:44:29

@d0ugmac1 

Yes me too. Great minds think alike. I'll see if the small change works by setting it to auto.

Thanks for your help. 👍

Options
2022-05-03 15:48:41

@xmtr34 IP Map attached

File:
IP Mapping.jpgDownload
Options
2022-05-03 16:00:32

@xmtr34 I think these settings for each AP are more important, and I keep the fallback IPs in the same subnet for what it's worth.

Options
2022-05-05 16:54:44

@d0ugmac1 

I've tried all the configuration suggestions you made but for some reason, my segment for some reason still drops off and won't restore 

I don't know why this is happening. Any further suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks for all your advise so far.

Colin.

Options
2022-05-05 17:33:14

@xmtr34 

Ok so I re-read the thread and the one logical difference I see is that your remote SG2008P is managed as part of the Omada SDN solution.  In my case I have an old unmanaged Netgear POE switch powering the 225 and 235-Wall AP that is subtending it.  I also fixed the channel that my wired Mesh node is operating at (this shouldn't make a difference).  However, for an apples-to-apples comparison here, can I ask that you 'Forget' and default the 2008 at the remote site assuming you don't have VLANs configured between those 2 AP.  If that makes a difference, maybe you can connect them via some port isolation (ie link POE ports 3&4,untagged and plug your remote APs into those ports)

In my case, the Meshed 225 remote end shows up as wirelessly linked and the 235 shows up as a wired connection on the same switch port as my wired 225.

Options
2022-05-05 18:40:29

@d0ugmac1 

That makes sense. I have a managed 2008P like you said and both my EAP's say they are wired. I forgot my 2008P and failed it when it was unmanaged and like you said, it worked when the power was lost. However, I do need it to be managed for my vlan's to work properly. 

Aagggghhhhh! 

Looks like I'll just have to make do and hope I don't loose power to the 2008P very often. 

Thank you for your help and good advise on this. 

Colin.

Options
2022-05-05 19:00:46

@xmtr34 

What else are you doing with that remote 2008???  Why do you need VLANs configured on it, it should just be a glorified POE injector, think two POE injectors with a cross-over cable between their LAN ports, which will work too, and it preserves the VLANs of users on different SSIDs from either the outdoor or indoor AP.  

Even if you have local client devices plugged into the switch (I do, I have a VOIP adapter plugged into the remote non-Omada switch and it gets a management LAN IP, for now, my next iteration will have it plugged into a VLAN enabled port on the EAP235-wall, but that's another thread to come).

In short make sure you aren't tagging packets between the remote APs and it should work as intended (my mVLAN isn't tagged...if yours is, I may have to think more!)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 748

Replies: 14

Related Articles