Starlink Noob question about Starlink ethernet adapter and Access Point

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-05-09 10:54:10
Model: EAP245  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

I have a Starlink Gen 2 dish with an optional Starlink ethernet adapter. Starlink works as expected through it's router. I ran a cat 6 ethernet cable from Starlink's ethernet adapter to an outbuilding 200 ft away. The cable is good because i tested it. In the outbuilding, I connected a TP-Link AC1750 Wireless MU-MIMO Gigabit Ceiling Mount Access Point to the ethernet cable. The unit has a long green light then dark for a second or two and then long green again and repeat. I cannot get any internet from  the access point. I tried the Omada app but it is way over my head. Am I missing any hardware between the Starlink ethernet adapter and the TP-Link AC1750 Wireless MU-MIMO Gigabit Ceiling Mount Access Point?

Options
7 Reply
Re:Starlink Noob question about Starlink ethernet adapter and Access Point
2022-05-09 15:33:32

@decee 

And how are you powering this remote AP and what model is it?  You need a POE and possibly POE+ injector at one end of your 200' cable to make that AP light up.

If you'd had a v1 Starlink system, I would have suggested you unplug the Starlink router from the power box and plug your AP into it directly and use the POE that normally feeds your router to confirm AP boot up.  However the v2 system is integrated and you can't do that anymore

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2022-05-09 19:11:52

@d0ugmac1 

I used the POE injector that came with the TP-Link AC1750 Wireless MU-MIMO Gigabit Ceiling Mount Access Point, Supports 802.3af PoE and Passive PoE, Injector Included (EAP245 V3)

Options
2022-05-09 20:59:04

@decee 

Ok, a couple of things.

How did you test the cable?  Passing data isn't enough, that only tests 4 of the 8 wires potentially.  If even 1 of your connections isn't solid on the POE wires, you will likely not be able to pass sufficient power through 200' of cable...and the blinking sequence you are experiencing would tend to indicate that the AP is receiving some power, but for some reason, not enough to remain up and stable.

Can you test the AP locally, using just the AP, the POE injector and a short patch cable from the POE port to the AP.  Verify that the AP comes up and the light remains on and stable for several minutes.  If it cannot do this across your 200' cable I think you have your answer.  If you don't have a cable tester, then I'd suggest reconnectoring both ends again.

Verify that the POE injector you received is in fact the 48V version and NOT the 24V version (which looks damn near identical).  This AP requires 48V, whether passive or active POE, the supplied injector should be a passive 48V model.

Options
2022-05-09 21:38:39
I tested the 200 ft cable with one of these and all lights blinked correctly. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08JQ6J6XZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 The POE was attached to the TP Link Access point with a 3 ft patch cable and the POE injector that came with it. I did not run the power through the 200 ft cable. The whole setup is 100 miles from my home and I will have to test it again when I go back there in 2 weeks
Options
2022-05-09 22:15:32

@decee LOL....I have one of those testers too :)

Ok, sounds like you should have everything you need.  I would definitely make sure the AP works (I hope it's with you and not 100mi away) before heading back.

I had the v1 round Starlink, but I assume that with the v2, the ethernet adapter allows you to get a dynamic IP via DHCP from the Starlink router's LAN side?  You can test this by jacking your laptop into the ethernet port of the Starlink and verifying you get a valid IP and can surf the web.  When you connect the AP it should get an IP the same way, and you should test this with two patch cables, one from Starlink ethernet adapter to POE injector LAN, and the second from the 245v3 to the POE injector POE port.

At this point, since you are controller-less, you'll need to figure out the IP assigned to the AP (look in the Clients list on the Starlink router).  Connect your laptop wirelessly to the Starlink Wifi and then point your browser at the IP assigned to the 245v3.  Login with the default user/passwd (see the Quickstart sheet in the box).  Proceed to configure the AP as a standalone device,ie set up your radios and SSIDs.  You should be able to test now.

If your AP doesn't get an IP address from Starlink, try factory resetting it via the little button and retrying the above.

Options
2022-05-10 06:08:03

@decee You may try test the EAP with short Ethernet cables first. It seems like a power supply issue.

For you reference under my test, the EAP can have stable green LED even when it is not connected to the router.

Options
2022-05-10 10:52:11

@Somnus 

Thank you for all your help. I will try your suggestions and report back in 2 weeks or so

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1523

Replies: 7