Issues with IP addressing with EAP245

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-05-10 13:55:40
Model: EAP245  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 5.0.3 Build 20210604 Rel. 51934(5553)

I am trying to do a site upgrade from our old EAP220 to new EAP245. Our site has 14 EAP220 APs and everything works really well. We are upgrading beceause some of the EAP220 APs are starting to fail after 5 years which is to be expected. We are running into an issue with IP addressing that has us puzzled.

Here is what is occurring:

We have multiple VLANs

Each SSID is tied to a specific VLAN

Client connects to SSID and gets proper IP address according to the VLAN of the SSID

About 2 or 3 minutes later the client gets a private IP in the 169.x.x.x range

This issue does not occur with our EAP220 network that is controlled by TP-Link EAP Controller version 2.5.4.

We have also tried stand alone mode with a couple of the EAP245 APs and they see the exact same behavior.

Our DHCP server for 1 of the VLANs is our Windows Server 2019 domain controller

The DHCP server for the other VLANs is a set of Untangle routers.

Again, everything works perfectly with the EAP220 APs, we are only seeing this issue with the EAP245 APs.

Options
8 Reply
Re:Issues with IP addressing with EAP245
2022-05-10 14:44:17 - last edited 2022-05-10 14:44:50

@rlcorlew 

Increasingly common issue out there!  You can't use v5 AP firmware on v2 Controllers.  You either need to downgrade your AP to (below 4.4 I think) or update the controller and all your AP's to v5.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2022-05-10 15:03:40

@d0ugmac1 I have two separate controller environments setup while trying to get everything configured correctly.

• The EAP220 environment uses Controller version 2.5.4.
  • The EAP245 environment (with only 2 test APs) is using Omada Controller 4.5 A36.

Even without the controller and trying to use an AP in standalone mode with a single SSID will still see the IP addressing issues where a client gets the correct IP but about 2 minutes later the client reverts to a private IP of 169.x.x.x.

Options
2022-05-10 15:19:09

@rlcorlew 

I'm assuming your clients are laptops.  I also assume that the reason the laptops are flipping back to the autoconfiguration IP because they lose connectivity to at least the DHCP server and I suspect probably everything. 

Are both your old and new environments in the same IP domain (ie are the controllers and APs both new and old in the same VLAN/segment)

Have you created new test SSIDs on their own VLANs, and created those VLANs on the DHCP servers? 

Is all the underlying IP networking in place, ie are there valid routes for the DHCP server back through the new APs for the client subnets?

If you statically configure the IP of one of your laptops testing the 245-based wifi to a suitable IP in a valid range for that SSID, can you ping the gateway, can your traceroute google.com or similar, does your connection stay up?

Options
2022-05-10 17:28:59

@d0ugmac1 We have been testing various scenarios and think that the issue is related to VLAN tagging and how the TRUNKS are setup. We are going to have to go on site and do some more testing,

So far we have one EAP245 in stand-alone mode that has a single SSID with VLAN disabled. With this configuration the clients receive the correct IP addresses and are able to maintain those addresses. We will defintely have to do some more testing but we believe we are on the correct track.

For the record, the clients used for these tests are 8 laptops in our lab and are the same models that most of the on-site clients are using. We are working to integrate the new APs into the existing networks so they are on the same VLANs and hooked into the same switches and everything.

I will update this thread with what I figure out.

Options
2022-05-10 17:49:39

@rlcorlew 

Ok, but out of curiousity, why are you building all this on 4.5 A36...I mean, it's not even an official download from TPlink as far as I can see (was it beta?), plus it has all the vulnerabilities that have only recently been patched, even in the latest v5.x codebases.  You might be tilting at unnecessary windmills when a new controller version might just 'fix' the problem.  I can personally vouch for 5.0.30 and 5.1.7 versions for multi-SSID/VLAN configs.

Options
2022-05-10 17:59:07
Looks like I had the Omada Controller version wrong. What we have deployed is 5.1.7 for the new environment we are building.
Options
2022-05-11 07:03:00

@rlcorlew Old EAP has a special default VLAN setting, it will create a "big VLAN" according to your first SSID VID and transfer Internet data to all wireless clients. But tplink fixed it many years ago.

Tplink still have this "bug" on their SoHo products and there is a FAQ about how to use it.

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/418/

Options
2022-05-11 22:01:58

@Somnus we are using Cisco switches and much newer WAPs than what this article is talking about.

For people who find this thread later, it looks like we have received one bad WAP and one good WAP since only one is now exhibiting this odd behavior. I am going to try and update the firmware on both EAP245 WAPs and see if that helps any.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 356

Replies: 8