Omada mesh for home - hardware / software requirements

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-05-11 20:14:35

Greetings,

I'm planning a wifi mesh network for a rural property which includes a small house (~800 sq/ft), and a metal shop building about 200 feet away. I'd like to cover the indoor areas, *and* the outdoor spaces surrounding and between the two buildings with wifi that would support fast roaming between APs for wifi calling. Because the Deco line has no outdoor mesh products, I'm looking at the Omada line, and specifically the EAP610-outdoor. I'm thinking to mount one on a mast on each building, where there's a decent line-of-sight between them (some, but not much foliage). If that alone doesn't cover the area, I'd augment with an indoor AP.

My first question is what additional hardware would be required for this? Would I need a hardware controller? I could run the controller software on a laptop, but the laptop leaves the prem frequently.

I've seen this:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2283/

which implies that of the features I most want, only fast roaming would fail without the controller. Does this seem correct?

Secondly, the location is currently serviced by an ATT hotspot (a Netgear Nighthawk M6 Pro with an external panel antenna). I'd connect it to an ethernet switch, in turn connected to the local EAP610-outdoor. Would this serve adequately as a router for the meshed APs?

Any thoughts or suggestions on this are welcome.

Thanks

Options
3 Reply
Re:Omada mesh for home - hardware / software requirements
2022-05-12 04:21:34

@wrathskellar 

1. If your don't have a controller, it will be hard to monitor the network if any issue happens(like power issue of EAP etc.)

It's suggested to keep Controller Online all the time, so OC200 is recommended;

2. Yes EAP can work with any Router.

Options
2022-05-12 15:11:44

@Somnus Thanks for the info.

Now if only the EAP610-outdoor weren't made from solid unobtanium.

Options
2022-05-12 19:34:58

@wrathskellar 

A pair of EAP225 outdoors and an OC200 should do you.  Plug the wired 225 and the OC200 controller into ports on your existing router at the house.  Just power up the remote 225 at the far end.  Login into your controller and pretty soon your should see not just the wired AP, but the remote AP looking to get adopted.  Go ahead and adopt and then tweak the SSID to suit.   At 200' you are unlikely to benefit from the higher modulation rates offered by the 610, and it's double the price if/when you can find it.  The 225 supports mesh and fast handoff (seamless roaming).  Easy peezy.

I basically do this with a 150' and 300' shot from my base building to two remote 225's.  On one building I added a 235-wall unit for greater indoor coverage plugged into my outdoor 225.

You don't need to put them up on pipes, I actually had more success tucking them under the eaves high up on the wall.  Less issues with precipitation, wind and unfriendly lightning.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 299

Replies: 3

Related Articles