TP-Link EAP225-Outdoor Access Point

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-05-12 23:13:17 - last edited 2022-05-13 00:49:41
Model: EAP225-Outdoor  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Greetings I have a ubiquiti outdoor access point that sends wifi from my house way down to my backyard. I was looking to add something like the tp-link eap225 outdoor access point to connect to that wifi and send the signal further down in a different direction. Would this tp-link device work ?

Options
2 Reply
Re:TP-Link EAP225-Outdoor Access Point
2022-05-13 05:11:45

@bishop2001 No it won't work. EAP225-Outdoor is a pure Access Point and cannot work like wireless bridge. It must be connected to your main network via Ethernet cable.

Options
Re:TP-Link EAP225-Outdoor Access Point
2022-05-15 14:48:55 - last edited 2022-05-15 14:50:41

@bishop2001 

Unusually, I completely disagree with the above post.  The EAP225-Outdoor can be used as both a bridge and a repeater, but it requires an Omada SDN controller (you can buy the OC200 when you get the second EAP225) or you can build your own using an old laptop, Raspberry PI, Docker Container, cloud VM...but I think based on your post the OC200 is the simplest.

You will need to configure the OC200 with your LAN subnet but disable the DHCP as you will use that of your existing router, and configure your Wireless SSID at a minimum AND enable Mesh.  Then with the OC200 connected to the same LAN as your first EAP225, reset the EAP225 (either by logging in and factory reset, or by using the reset button beside the ethernet port).  After it reboots you will see it in the Devices section of the Omada SDN controller web interface and you will adopt it and verify that it is configured and broadcasting the correct SSID.  Now plug in your second EAP225 (just power) and after a few minutes, you should see the option to adopt it as well.  Again apply your Default SSID profile.  You should be good to go.

If you need to use them as a bridge, you can plug a switch or device into the POE injector for the remote EAP225.  That device will appear connected to the same switch port as the wired EAP225.

Enjoy.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options