TP-Link switch doesn't display any wired clients on Omada

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-05-19 10:40:46
Model: TL-SG2008  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 4.0.1 Build 20210806 Rel.55686

Just bought myself the above switch in order to monitor my wired connections as well as wireless.  The wireless EAPs are working fine.

Connected the switch to the network and the Omada sees it straight away and adopted.  But the switch is not showing any wired devices even though it has 2 devices connected to it and working fine.  I bought this switch mainly to monitor those devices but it's not showing up in Omada.

No idea why it says no Internet here but all devices do.

I have not configured anything in Omada apart from SSIDs.  I just plugged and play.  Do I need to configure it in some way?  Is that why it's saying Internet disconnected, because it's not set up correctly?  Why does the Switch not show any wired devices?

Here is the route from Internet to devices:

5G Router (as in SIM card router) > Normal WAN Router > TL-SG2008 Switch.  This switch then distributes the connection , 2 wired connection to laptops, 1 wired connection to another basic TP-Link POE switch which is connected to 3 x EAPs around the house.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Options
9 Reply
Re:TP-Link switch doesn't display any wired clients on Omada
2022-05-19 22:50:17

@Arshad007 

You switch is only showing 3 ports as active, 1,2,8 and none of them as uplink.  It also looks like your controller (software?) is connected to the 2008 as well.

If I do the math, two laptops, the Controller and another downstream switch, where's the connection to the router?  In the map view of your Controller, there is blue box that says 'Show Labels' or something like that, can you click that and repost the topology image?

You don't see any 'Internet' because you don't have an Omada supported router in place.  This solution doesn't work nearly as well as it could, unless you have all the pieces, like router, switch and controller all supported and working together, I know this because I started with APs+OC200 to mesh, then added the router, but then needed the switch to isolate my SSIDs.  Ka-ching.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2022-05-20 09:31:24

d0ugmac1 wrote

@Arshad007 

You switch is only showing 3 ports as active, 1,2,8 and none of them as uplink.  It also looks like your controller (software?) is connected to the 2008 as well.

If I do the math, two laptops, the Controller and another downstream switch, where's the connection to the router?  In the map view of your Controller, there is blue box that says 'Show Labels' or something like that, can you click that and repost the topology image?

You don't see any 'Internet' because you don't have an Omada supported router in place.  This solution doesn't work nearly as well as it could, unless you have all the pieces, like router, switch and controller all supported and working together, I know this because I started with APs+OC200 to mesh, then added the router, but then needed the switch to isolate my SSIDs.  Ka-ching.

@d0ugmac1 

It also looks like your controller (software?) is connected to the 2008 as well.

Should it not be?  Can't I put the controller anywhere on the network?

The switch is connected to a normal gigabit router.  This is the path:

5G Router (as in SIM card router) > Normal WAN Router > TL-SG2008 Switch.  This switch then distributes the connection , 2 wired connection to laptops, 1 wired connection to another basic TP-Link POE switch which is connected to 3 x EAPs and the OC200 around the house.

Fast forward to a few days,I bought an OMADA router the ER605.  In what order should I connect the devices to get the whole TL ecosystem right?  Or to get the best performance out of it.

Options
2022-05-20 12:27:03 - last edited 2022-05-20 12:29:37

@Arshad007 

Connect your router to your ER605 then connect everthing else (including ER605) to your SG2008 (suggesting port1 for omada controller, port2 for EAP1, port3 for EAP2, port4 for EAP3, port 8 for ER605 and PORTS 5-7 for any wired devices).

OmadaLinux v5.13.10 R605 V1:1.3.0 - Build 20230511 R.51317 SG2008P V1:V1.0.8 Build 20230602 R.73473 SG2008P V3:V3.0.5 Build 20230602 R.73473 3 x EAP245 V3:V5.1.0-Build 20230104 R.79433
Options
2022-05-20 14:58:19

As above, but noting the nuance in your design which was:

5G LTE-> Router-> Omada Switch->generic TPlink switch->APs

I would recommend the following, which includes removing the generic Router and replacing it with the ER605 and generic Switch (then moving the Omada switch to this location) from the design:

5G LTE->ER605->Omada Switch->Omada APs

You can use the ER605 as 1-WAN, 4-LAN device and so plug your laptops directly into it and then also the cable that runs to the switch feeding the APs.  You can put the controller on either the 4th Router LAN port, or the Omada Switch (if POE makes sense)--if you aren't powering it with POE connect it to a Router LAN port.  If the 5G router has a public IP then try to put it into Passthrough mode...if it's NAT'd, then don't worry about it.

This will give you the full functionality of the Omada solution and you'll get the full benefit of the controller and all the reporting.

Options
2022-08-04 16:18:27

@Arshad007 

Has there been any resolution to this problem?

I've encountered the same issue within the Cloud-based Controller. All wired devices are working, but not listed on the dashboard. As a result, I cannot set reservations for some devices.

My config consists of:

• ER7206 v1.0
  • TL-SG2210MP v3.0
  • 3 x EAP650(US) v1.0[Custom]

Thanks.

Options
2022-08-04 16:40:42

@SYNDESO 

So all 5 of your devices were successfully adopted by your Cloud Controller, but now don't report via the Dashboard?  I assume you mean here:

What does your Topology look like from the Controller?  If everything is set up correctly, you should see something like the following (Map, enable Labels)

Options
2022-08-05 12:26:26

@d0ugmac1 

The TP-Link Cloud Controller isn't displaying a topology either. All devices were directly adopted to cloud and there's no physical cloud controller.

I have two more OMADA routers (ER605) that I'm planning to deploy on separate sites, similar to the 15+ sites the I manage in my Ubiquiti cloud controller.

Options
2022-08-05 14:52:30

@Arshad007 

So I have an OC200 and a software controller...not a Cloud instance as yet, however, I do have 2 sites on my OC200.  I know when I adopt a device, it doesn't necessarily go to the right 'site', instead I have to adopt it into the site I want it to belong to, and I assume the cloud controller behaves a little like this too.  You did create a site to work with right?

Maybe we can start with a screen shot of your 'Devices' tab?  I have a site called Alex...and it's a single EAP225 hanging off a FTTH modem to provide outdoor coverage at that location.  It's the closest thing I have to your setup...ie the public IP of that FTTH modem is across the internet from the public IP that connects to my controller (ports opened, just like Cloud would). 

Here's what my device  map looks like (the internet is dicsonnected because the router isn't managed by Omada):

and here's what my Devices tab looks like...and yours should be similar with your list of hardware

Options
2022-08-14 13:59:14

@SYNDESO I have this exact same issue. ER605 + TL-SG2008P v3.0 + EAP610. All 3 of the devices and all of my wireless clients show up in management things, but absolutely nothing shows up on the topology screen or for wired clients. The switch itself shows all this traffic... but no clients. It's insane.

I'm connecting to my ISP through ethernet DHCP only. Verizon FIOS uses some kind of media converter to convert their fiber to ethernet in my basement, and then that is run directly to the ER605's WAN port.

All kinds of fucky things happen too if I try adjusting the switch to and from static IP configurations. It's like the management component just isn't communicating correctly.

I did update my vlan1 from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.1.1 and am only using that vlan. The setup is as simple as possible.

I'm not using internally hosted controllers - no OC200 or even a software one. I'm using their cloud one which should be bulletproof. Though i'm only using a trial license. If I don't see wired clients i'm just going to go without cloud management because paying for features that don't work is dumb. Already regret going to this kind of setup, because metrics is the only real benefit to me. I could just throw up some WAPs from any brand and be golden with my old gear.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2190

Replies: 10