Website Blocking Firewall

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-05-19 13:04:00 - last edited 2022-05-19 20:42:59
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

With the Omada OC200 + ER605 can I block access to websites based on keywords for certain users?

For example, users who access sites with the text "free movies, netflix, torrent" are blocked from access. But that's only for certain users (if possible).

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Website Blocking Firewall-Solution
2022-05-19 19:12:55 - last edited 2022-05-19 20:42:59

@ElTom 

Hey

Yes you can indeed block certain websites via the firewall, its easy to do!

On the controller under SETTINGS go to NETWORK SECURITY then URL FILTERING

Create a new filter and call it what you want..  set the policy for DENY.. apply it to NETWORK then choose LAN (or whatever vlans you have) and add the URLs.. you can add more than one per policy

example below

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Website Blocking Firewall
2022-05-19 13:38:54

@ElTom 

Hey

Unfortunately this functionality is not available on Omada.   What you are looking is not really in the scope of a firewall, this would be more the task for a proxy server.

There are free Raspberry Pi proxy servers (Privoxy for example) that might be of interest to you

Options
2022-05-19 17:57:26
And is it possible to block a site, eg facebook.com, on the OC200 or even on the ER605? Because in this post https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/552248 there is an ACL Rule procedure, but only in EAP.
Options
Re:Website Blocking Firewall-Solution
2022-05-19 19:12:55 - last edited 2022-05-19 20:42:59

@ElTom 

Hey

Yes you can indeed block certain websites via the firewall, its easy to do!

On the controller under SETTINGS go to NETWORK SECURITY then URL FILTERING

Create a new filter and call it what you want..  set the policy for DENY.. apply it to NETWORK then choose LAN (or whatever vlans you have) and add the URLs.. you can add more than one per policy

example below

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-05-19 19:48:19
Thanks, Does it only work if you perform a reboot on the equipment? I tried to create the rules but the blocking did not occur.
Options
2022-05-19 20:12:03

@ElTom 

Ill be honest and say its not a feature I use, but if memory serves me right it did take some time / reboot when I tested it last..  

Also include the non www. addresses..

eg.    www.google.com   and   google.com

you can also add wildcards for the sub domains    www.google.*   for example will block all google.ANYTHING addresses

This article below might help

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/3229/

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 681

Replies: 5