What ip should I use?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

What ip should I use?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
What ip should I use?
What ip should I use?
2022-05-20 02:42:35 - last edited 2022-05-20 03:21:35

I am switching over to the Omada system for my network because I love the way it works. I love the user interface, and from what I have seen, the reliability.

I will have multiple EAPs, 4 different Omada Poe+ switches, OC200, and ER605 router.

Anyway, I know that the Omada router and hardware controller, along with all other devices like the 192.168.0.1 etc. address, and it is the default.  I know I can use anything with it, but is it better to use the .0 because it is default? 

Why I'm asking is that I have many cameras, and devices that are static to a 192.168.1. address, and I would have to change them all.  Just some words of wisdom from the wise would be welcome.

Thanks.

Options
42 Reply
Re:What ip should I use?
2022-05-20 05:15:57

@ingeborgdot 

My simple advice is to keep 192.168.0.x/24 VLAN1 as your 'management' network, at least for the Router and attached switch.  The reason is if you ever have to default your router it will come back up as manageable by the Controller, and the Controller will be able to reach the internet (assuming you have a DHCP WAN).  I fought with trying to make my default LAN a different subnet and eventually gave in...smooth sailing since then.  You can create more LAN subnets, including specifically the one for 192.168.1.0/24 so you don't have to re-IP all your cameras.  You can then also map SSID(s) to whatever LAN makes sense and/or map switch ports to belong natively (untagged) to different subnets, ie SSID=Camera could belong to VLAN2 and SSID=SuperUser could belong to VLAN1.

For instance, the ER605 (192.168.0.1 by default) could connect to Port5 on say a SG2008P switch (so we don't waste POE ports).  The OC200 could plug into Port1 and be powered by the switch.  Keeping the 'All' profile on the switch ports means they natively belong to the 192.168.0.1/VLAN1 subnet.  For wired clients, simply change the Port profile so that it's native for say VLAN2 which belongs to 192.168.1.0/24 subnet.  All devices attached to ports with this profile will then get IP addresses in the same space (assuming you've left the DHCP server enabled).  You can then setup rules to prevent VLAN2 from talking to the VLAN1 IPs

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2022-05-20 13:54:17

@d0ugmac1 Okay, so for it looks like I will be staying with the .0x/24 VLAN, but I'm not real good at setting up VLANs so I will need to do some research before I get going with this project.

If I do go with a different VLAN for different things, will I be able to communicate with all of them easily with them on a different VLAN? Here is why I'm asking.

I have a CasaTunes server which runs all of my whole house audio. I have a Blue Iris server which runs my cameras.  I have all of my cameras that have their static ip addresses. I have a Media PC that has some videos and things I will need to get into. I also have a Plex server which is what I run my Plex with that I use to watch much of my TV at home and on the road.  Plus I have numerous devices that use the internet and network. My Roku, Nvidia Shield, and Bluray players, along with my TV's.

My main PC needs to be able to communicate with all of these things over a browser, remotely etc.  I know things about networking, but an expert I am not. I'm pretty good at picking things up quickly, but was not born with the knowledge. I do have a natural ability with computers and networking, but I just need to read up on the VLAN part more since I have never attempted to try it.

So, would it be wise to just take the extra 30 minutes and change all of my cameras to the 0.x ip and mess with different VLANs later after I have become proficient enough?

Like I said before, words of wisdom are always welcome. smiley

Options
2022-05-20 14:12:29

@ingeborgdot you may also want to watch this youtube video to help you better understand vlans and how to set them up on the Omada.  Its not that hard and you could easily set it up to have your camera system on 192.168.1/24 subnet so you dont have to change them.  And...still keep vlan1 as your management vlan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBtPme0RQ2U&t=11s

Options
2022-05-20 14:21:55

@Fleegle61 I will watch this along with others today. 

It won't take long to switch my camera addresses or any of my static addresses. I'll see what I think after I get done watching some videos today.

Options
2022-05-20 14:57:21 - last edited 2022-05-20 14:58:38

I had to get switches that were quiet because of the environment they are in. I tried the larger 2428 switch but the fan was way to loud for where it had to be placed. Anyway, I am planning to use the SFP slots to connect 2 switches together, and and in another area to connect the router to a switch. Will I be able to get full control through the SFP port like I would on the other ports, other than Poe? Thanks.

Options
2022-05-20 15:03:05 - last edited 2022-05-20 15:04:10

@ingeborgdot 

by default, all your LAN subnets can talk to each other.  You need to add profiles and configure ACLs on your switch to actually prevent them from doing so.  This is a fantastic and easy to follow/understand FAQ provided by TPLINK

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/3091/ 

It shows in detail exactly what needs to be done and why.

and yes, SFP ports are no different in functionality that a standard gigabit copper ethernet port.

Options
2022-05-20 15:07:51

@ingeborgdot 

If you are going to re-IP your cameras...then I suggest you just leave them as DHCP and create a Fixed IP mapping in the Omada controller.  Same effect, but makes changing your network topology in the future so much easier!  Just note the last few octets of the camera MAC address (usually on the label on the back of it) and then you can find that in the Clients list, and edit the client to a fixed IP.  After a power cycle or when the current lease expires, the camera will now have its new fixed IP.

Options
2022-05-20 15:26:38 - last edited 2022-05-20 16:29:34

@Fleegle61 the guy in this video changes the 0.1 to his own ip, as he says from habit.

Options
2022-05-20 15:30:02

@d0ugmac1 and these are used for departments in business.  I am not a business, just a home with a lot of devices blush. I wonder if I'm trying to get too complicated right now, although it could help for security measures I guess.

Thanks for your help.

Options
2022-05-20 15:32:57

@d0ugmac1 I have to go in and change them to DHCP because they are already static, so I guess why not just change them to the 0.x static while I'm there.  Maybe I'm misunderstanding which I do quite often frown.

Thanks.

Options