CPE-210 in AP Client Router mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-05-20 21:27:03
Model: Adapter  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: ?

I am connecting my home to my guest house ~3km away. I have ordered 2 CPE-210 units. I plan to set unit in my home to AP mode. The unit in the guest house I planned to set in AP Client Router mode. This should provide a separate subnet [different SSID] in the guest house. All I want is to connect laptops & phones wirelessly to my home internet connection. The documentation seems to indicate the the CPE-210 in AP Client Router mode will provide wireless router type of access to devices in the guest house. Is this true? I would rather not buy any additional equipment or complicate the wiring in the guest house. I have no need of a wired connection there.

Options
2 Reply
Re:CPE-210 in AP Client Router mode
2022-05-24 08:50:45

@Radagast

It seems to me that theoretically, it can work by selecting the connection method as Dynamic IP and then configuring it normally according to this FAQ.
But CPE is directional antenna, which means the signal is mainly concentrated on its front panel, can you guarantee that all your clients are within the antenna angle of CPE?
Generally speaking, the side and back of the CPE signal is very weak, you set up this way maybe the performance will be affected.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
Re:CPE-210 in AP Client Router mode
2022-05-24 17:55:15

@Virgo 

Yes, that is the FAQ that I was referring to, along with https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2090/ [I don't know how to imbed link like you did; is it by using html?], which shows the CPE-210 receiving from the WISP [which would be my AP CPE at main house] from one direction, and transmitting to the local devices in the other direction, as well as a wired device. This seems to imply that it has 2 antennas. Or maybe, if it is using the same antenna, it should be set up BEYOND the guest house, so that it transmits to guest house clients in the same direction as it transmits to the main house CPE. You say that the back side of the CPE signal is very weak. Is this only in comparison to the front side? Maybe it is still equivalent to the weak [in comparison to front side of CPE] signal put out by the typical home router, and therefore, sufficient for local guest clients who are likely to all be within a hundred feet or so, as compared to the 2-3 km between the 2 CPE's.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 619

Replies: 2

Related Articles