EAP 225 Constantly disconnecting and dropping clients

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-05-29 16:48:33
Model: EAP225  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 5.0.7

Hi! So I have a small network setup at my church. its using two eap ap's; an eap115 and an eap225. There isn't any real need for advanced setting as they are mainly being used directly as access points. Now my issue is that the eap225 which is the "main one"(the eap 115 is used in the office area) constantly 'drops' clients(all of them that are connected at the time) and disconnects from the controller. It automatically reconnects to the controller anywhere from 30 seconds to 30 minutes later.

Now this issue didn't start happening until; 1. i started using the software controller and 2. when i upgraded the firmware to 5.0.7.

I've tried numerous 'solutions' that I've seen on the forums such as checking the airtime fairness settings and some other settings but none of them have worked. in a last ditch attempt I've fully uninstalled the controller and i am currently managing both eaps using the android app. However this made no difference and the eap225 is still dropping clients and if they're not dropped they lose internet connectivity and you have to turn the wifi off then back on to have them connect again.

Do you guys have any advice for me or things I can do to fix this issue. Also i'm planning to reinstall the soft controller on a laptop that i can have running 24/7. 

Options
12 Reply
Re:EAP 225 Constantly disconnecting and dropping clients
2022-05-29 21:33:42

@Davii 

Hey

A number of things jump at me here

The first one being that the EAP225 running firmware 5.0.7 needs to have a controller running SDN version 4x or 5x, what version of controller are you running?    Also is your EAP115 a v4 model running firmware 3.20 or later?

In terms of what you stated, basically not running advanced features (roaming, AI Roaming, etc) then really there is no benefit to having the controller.   You would honestly be better just running them in 2x standalone devices with manual settings.

Personally however, I would consider an OC200 hardware controller and adopt both APs into it.  Run the advanced features like Roaming, AI Roaming, Band Steering etc as it will make things easier for you.  

In terms of drop outs, check the windows firewall.. the new version of the controller has different ports for communication vs the last version, this may be your issue and is a common one.   Generally its best to just disable the firewall to test.    Also running this on a laptop 24/7 seems like a waste, consider a Raspberry Pi device install, or an OC200

Options
2022-05-30 17:51:22

@Philbert 

Hi! Thanks for reaching out.

Yes, the controller i was using was the latest version at the time 5.1.7.

The EAP115 is a v4 and its running firmware v5.0.4 build 20220216.

In regards to running them as stand alone devices; thats what i used to do, managing them through the android app, i started using the controller mainly as a way to update the firmware of the devices when needed. Since i've started having the issue with the dropping out i've switched back to 'standalone' APs but that hasn't fixed it whatsoever; has stated in the op.

Ha.. As much has i want the hardware controller it is not seen as a 'necessary expense' by the budget holder..........

I will try checking the windows firewall, and also moving and changing some cables and see what happens. 

Options
2022-05-30 17:56:44

@Davii 

How are most of your devices connecting?  be that are they 2.4ghz or 5ghz?  how many devices are we talking?

Also when the controller or AP drops.. can you ping it? what is happening at a network level.. do you lose local connectivity and is the controller logs recording anything?

At a guess.. this may not be the omada but rather your switch, it smells a bit of lost traffic over the network.  

When controller / AP is offline next try pinging something else (server / router) to rule out the omada hardware

Options
2022-05-30 21:47:34

@Philbert 

Okay, so there are no switches in the architecture, both eaps are connected directly to a isp provided router/modem. 

Day to day there are not really many clients max of about 10 on the eap115 which is soley 2.4ghz and 1 maybe 2 on the 5ghz on the eap225. However on a sunday there are around 35 - 45 clients on the 2.4ghz of the eap225 and around 5 - 10 on the 5ghz band.

When the ap drops it cannot be pinged, all devices on it completely lose connectivity, however devices that are connect to the eap115 or the wifi of the isp router are not affected and still have connectivity.

When the ap drops i'm still able to ping the router and the gateway. 

Options
2022-05-30 21:53:43

@Philbert 

Also there are not logs generated by the controller in regards to these events. 

Just throwing this out there, could it be a poe issue?

Options
2022-05-30 21:57:52

@Davii 

Its a strange one indeed.. it simply could be a faulty device as it shouldnt drop out like that... however that fact you are going straight to router isnt ideal for the setup, you should really have the router into a switch which then provides the LAN connections.

I have had customers before report issues like this and its been the router, it drops packets or closes the ports randomly as these are not designed for use as a 'switch' and should really only be connected to one device via a trunk

if you have a cheap switch you could borrow i would recommend trying that to see if bypassing the router locally helps...

Also 35-45 on a sunday is a LOT to be pushing over the 2.4ghz.  i would strongly recommend you enable airtime fairness on that SSID and bandsteer as many as possible to the 5ghz.. most 2.4ghz channels are flooded with just 10 clients per AP.   If i was asked to do a 2.4 install for that setup, i would be recommending 3x APs with AI roaming enabled and try to steer what possible to the 5ghz.

Options
2022-05-30 22:00:00

@Davii 

POE issue should in theory log this as a restart / power failure and would take much longer than 30 secs to reboot..   Try running the controller and AP via plugs to rule this out

Guess you are using injectors?  

Options
2022-05-30 22:16:14

@Philbert 

Noted and will do as soon as i can May as well buy a switch since it might become necessary.

Yea i am using and injector for the eap225 it doesnt have a dc port so theres really no way to power it apart from poe.

Options
2022-05-30 22:19:04

@Philbert 

Just saw something in the controller, it came up saying heartbeat missed. this coincided with a drop out that just happened.

Options
2022-05-31 14:34:35

@Davii 

Heartbeat missed indicates that the controller and or EAP cannot communicate, basically the network connection was lost for a period of time.  

If you have a cheap POE switch to test would be perfect to rule out any network stuff, something like the TL-SG1008 would do for this and cheap to buy.  OR   if you want to have an integated switch look at the TL-SG2008P

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3980

Replies: 12

Related Articles