EAP660 HD signicantly slower download speeds on symmetrical gigabit

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-06-08 16:15:22 - last edited 2022-06-09 00:48:20
Tags: #download speed
Model: EAP660 HD Ā 
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.1 Build 20220118 Rel. 60852

Hello, 

I've noticed for a while that my download speeds are significantly slower than upload for wireless clients connecting to this hot spot. Clients include Linux, Android, iPhone, and Windows 10.

Linux (ax), Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX210:

Down: 231, Up: 695

Android (Wi-Fi is ac only): 

Down: 176

Up: 210

iPhone SE 2nd gen (ax):

Down: 320

Up: 800

The EAP660 HD connects to a switch and negotiates at 2.5 Gbps which is correct. The uplink on the switch is 10 Gbps > router (1 Gbps) > OPN (1 Gbps up / down). Wired on the same switch, I get 940 up and down. 

TX power is max, power saving is turned off. I've tried setting OFDMA on / off, it makes no difference. 

Any suggestions on how to improve the download speeds? 

Ā  1 Ā  Ā  Ā 
Ā  1 Ā  Ā  Ā 
Options
5 Reply
Re:EAP660 HD signicantly slower download speeds on symmetrical gigabit
2022-06-09 08:16:19

@JSkier 

If the download speed is slow, what is the link speed on the wireless client during the speed test?
It is better to use Iperf to measure the speed more accurately.

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/3105/

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Ā  0 Ā 
Ā  0 Ā 
Options
2022-06-09 08:31:14

@JSkier 

not weird to get 940mbps. that's around the throughput of a 1gig port. like you buy a hard drive that's advertised to be 1T, but you get around 900GB for the storage. Binary thing!

Do you run test w/ the same eth cable that goes into your 660? will you get a symmetrical gig speed?

fix the channel width for your 5ghz to the max. meanwhile, create a single-band 5ghz wifi for your main devices. i don't use 2.4ghz because it's trash to get high bandwidth. 

so wanna get the fastest speed, use 5ghz and max channel width. take full advantage of 5ghz.  

ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€” For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Ā  0 Ā 
Ā  0 Ā 
Options
2022-06-09 12:36:44

@Virgo On Linux it is showing 1.2 Gbps for the link speed.

I'll try iperf to the router and see what that gets shortly.

Ā  1 Ā 
Ā  1 Ā 
Options
2022-06-09 12:40:03

@Tedd404 All the channels are set to auto, but I'll try playing around with those.

I have a SSID that is ax only that I use for testing. Unfortunately, I have numerous devices that still use 2.4 Ghz only, but those are isolated by SSID.

I will try another cable to the hot spot and see how that goes; I had switched it out before, but will just make a new one for testing.

The wired speed makes sense, that's what my provider advertises in with the asterisk, gigabit, but more like 940 for real šŸ˜€ What's odd is the wireless download speed.

Ā  1 Ā 
Ā  1 Ā 
Options
2022-06-09 14:53:54 - last edited 2022-06-09 15:15:50

@JSkier 

EDIT: Injector didn't make a difference either (I did, of course, remove it from the PoE+ port on the switch šŸ˜‰). Not sure where I put the 12V adaptor for it, I'll try to find it, but at this point, I don't think it will matter. I will try testing other devices later this week too.

Tried new cable from switch to AP, it did not help. I will try to use the power injector next. I've been using a PoE+ switch, and tried increasing the priority as well.

Some Linux client details from the Omada Controller:

Statistics
Channel :
48 (11axa)
Signal :
-51 dBm
Rx Rate :
1201.00 Mbps
Tx Rate :
1201.00 Mbps
Power Save :
Disabled