Wall vs Ceiling - Feedback?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-06-09 14:46:53 - last edited 2022-06-10 08:31:35
Model: EAP235-Wall  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

Normally I install ceiling devices but on a new project I am working on I cannot mount anything on the ceiling.  I have been looking at wall mounted EAP's like the 235, the environment they are going into is quite busy and could have 40-60 devices connected at anytime.  I am just after some feedback from anyone that runs the wall mounted APs, do they provide a similar coverage to the ceiling devices (in the past I have mounted the ceiling APs on the wall and these have appeared to work fine so that could be plan B).

Lastly the TP's will be replacing a Meraki solution with MR18's so I need to know that the TP's will out-perform these otherwise I will have a grumpy customer :)

Any thoughts/feedback gratefully received.

Rob

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Wall vs Ceiling - Feedback?-Solution
2022-06-10 05:25:12 - last edited 2022-06-10 08:31:35

@Rob_CTL 

Hey

Personally I found the -wall mounted APs to be less powerful when compared to the standard EAPs

The wall versions have different chipsets and antenna setups based on their much smaller form factor, they are literally crammed into a wall.   Cant say with 100% certainty but they do appear to be a lower spec hardware in the wall devices, think this is by design

Also bear in mind the designed market for -wall devices, they advertise them as dormitory / hotel room WiFi APs, both these scenarios wouldnt have a massive number of clients and certainly not the 40-60 you would be running

If I was specing your setup then I would be looking at the EAP245 or EAP660 which would be a closer replacement to what you already have.

In terms of comparision to the MR18, that is a N grade device if memory services me correctly?...  RSSI Signal wise it should be roughly the same, im my experience this doesnt change much between vendors.. ultimately signal is signal, you environment is what effects this most and not the AP par say.   However its my feeling that adding in wall APs vs Ceiling mounted would completely change the operating environment you are running in, therefore a new heatmap / RSSI review would be required.  You would be much safer to just replace 'like for like' with ceiling mounted in the same position as the old ones, moving these could affect performance in one way or onther.

That aside, in terms of performance the addition of AC / AX speeds would certainly increase the performance for the user vs N grade.

Sell it to him by connecting an AC device and doing speedtests, lot of customers like to see the 866mbps connection speed vs older 300mbps

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Wall vs Ceiling - Feedback?-Solution
2022-06-10 05:25:12 - last edited 2022-06-10 08:31:35

@Rob_CTL 

Hey

Personally I found the -wall mounted APs to be less powerful when compared to the standard EAPs

The wall versions have different chipsets and antenna setups based on their much smaller form factor, they are literally crammed into a wall.   Cant say with 100% certainty but they do appear to be a lower spec hardware in the wall devices, think this is by design

Also bear in mind the designed market for -wall devices, they advertise them as dormitory / hotel room WiFi APs, both these scenarios wouldnt have a massive number of clients and certainly not the 40-60 you would be running

If I was specing your setup then I would be looking at the EAP245 or EAP660 which would be a closer replacement to what you already have.

In terms of comparision to the MR18, that is a N grade device if memory services me correctly?...  RSSI Signal wise it should be roughly the same, im my experience this doesnt change much between vendors.. ultimately signal is signal, you environment is what effects this most and not the AP par say.   However its my feeling that adding in wall APs vs Ceiling mounted would completely change the operating environment you are running in, therefore a new heatmap / RSSI review would be required.  You would be much safer to just replace 'like for like' with ceiling mounted in the same position as the old ones, moving these could affect performance in one way or onther.

That aside, in terms of performance the addition of AC / AX speeds would certainly increase the performance for the user vs N grade.

Sell it to him by connecting an AC device and doing speedtests, lot of customers like to see the 866mbps connection speed vs older 300mbps

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Wall vs Ceiling - Feedback?
2022-06-10 08:30:51

@Philbert 

Thanks for the reply, and confirming what I was suspecting, as you mention it looks like the wall mounts are designed for more intimate coverage i.e. hotel rooms.  I've been installing the EAP-266HD's recently and have been very impressed by them, a good step up from the EAP-245's.  I think I'll do as you say and install the celing EAPs in the same position as the wall mounts, the customer isn't to concerned about overall speed, coverage is much more important.

Rob

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 987

Replies: 2

Related Articles