EAP225 HotSpot Set Up

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

EAP225 HotSpot Set Up

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
EAP225 HotSpot Set Up
EAP225 HotSpot Set Up
2022-06-10 07:47:38
Model: EAP225-Outdoor  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 5.0.9

Hi,

can someone suggest the most efficient way to set this up please?

As the picture below tries to show: 

We want to add a wifi voucher spot to our existing hotspot which is a free for ALL at the moment.

We want to continue to provide free wifi access to our family (there's about 30) and close neighbours (another 12 or so ) out the front BUT at the back where the new CAFE is, we want to add a voucher paying hotspot to generate additional income for the (new) family cafe.

My plan is to turn the radio power down (or move it back a little) on EAP225(1) and set up a separate site for the CAFE SPOT and add the family macid's to an ACL group and grant them access to EAP225(2) whilst forcing PAYING customers to buy a voucher for access.

The family rate is currently set at 25mbps and we want to be able to offer voucher payers more and less depending on the contract length... e.g. 1 hour 10mbps 30 days 40mbps etc.

The Family currently access the wifi via a security free Guest SSID.

I'll just be running another wire to EAP225(2) and it'll be managed by the Omada Controller on the pc 5am till Midnight.

Options
2 Reply
Re:EAP225 HotSpot Set Up
2022-06-12 16:42:51 - last edited 2022-06-12 16:44:28

@Bebe1980 

Hey

As you have a controller this should be more than possible.  

1.You could create a seconds SSID, say CAFE and set it as a GUEST SSID.  Then create a second portal for this SSID and configure it as you require.   On the controller you could turn off the SSID for family tree on AP2 so it only broadcasts the new CAFE ssid.  That might work for you!

2.  A better option if you are willing to spend the money is putting in an Omada Switch and Router (ER605 and TL2008P should do it).  That way you can create a VLAN for the guest users to access the internet via a portal and on a separate IP Range from your home traffic.    EG.   Home on 192.168.10.x   and CAFE on 192.168.20.x  

The switch would allow you to put ACLs in place to stop traffic from the guests getting anywhere near your family/friends.    You could also then implement bandwidth controls on the guests to stop them killing you WAN connection.

This would be a much more elegant solution if you are willing to invest in hardware.

In terms of using MAC address filtering for the home devices, this is really really insecure and I would advise against it!  PPSK might also be an option for you, one SSID but multiple passkeys

Options
Re:EAP225 HotSpot Set Up
2022-06-13 01:07:44 - last edited 2022-06-13 01:10:54

@Philbert 

Thanks I tried using two SSID's Free/PayingCafe but ACL on just the portal didn't appear to work... it seemed to stop the users connecting to the FreeFamilyWifi too...

So I'm trying it with two sites now, Cafe and Family:

So far Family users in (mac based) ACL can continue to use the AP to connect to Free SSID but need to login (it's on simple password atm) to PayingCafe Portal to use that.

Also users not in the Family ACL appear to be able to continue to connect to the AP's out the front not near the Cafe spot to connect to the Free SSID

Perhaps creating a second SITE creates something like a second virtual network, providing cleaner division of the services, equivalent to the latter physical solution you have suggested??

I was half expecting it to display two FreeFamilyWifi SSID's when I created the second SITE but it hasn't - I mean I don't get Family then Family2 on my wifi options or connection info - I just get Family.

MACID security - yes I know it's a bit of an oxymoron laugh

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 477

Replies: 2

Related Articles