Omada Online Controller Adopting every time it starts

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-06-16 23:21:02

Hi there,

I'm currently running the software version of Omada controller with 4 AP's on a laptop that is running almost 24/7. 

However, whenever I have to start the Omada controller, it disconnects all my AP's and they have to be adopted and provisioned again. 

I'm very new to all this, so don't know if this is normal. Can it only be mediated by a dedicated hardware controller?

Thanks,

Charlie

Options
4 Reply
Re:Omada Online Controller Adopting every time it starts
2022-06-17 10:01:59 - last edited 2022-06-17 10:04:07

@charliestevens That's normal. Software controller needs to re-adopt the devices because it lost connection to the devices before.

Most of the configurations can work without Controller, but a few of advanced function requires keeping controller online.

Check the details: Will the Configuration Still Work with EAPs When the Omada Controller Goes Offline?

Options
2022-06-17 15:45:10

@charliestevens 

As Somnus said this is not un-expected if you are restarting the controller software.  

Generally, software controllers are designed to be run on dedicated server hardware that operate 24/7, laptop isn't really the designed target.  

For your setting, you would be better to either invest in an OC200 hardware controller, or setup the software controller on a Docker / Raspberry Pi Server that can run all the time without any interruptions.

Options
2022-06-17 19:06:11

@Somnus Thanks very much all makes sense!

Options
2022-06-17 19:06:28

@Philbert That's great, thank you for your recommendations!

Options