Solving VLAN loops

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Solving VLAN loops

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Solving VLAN loops
Solving VLAN loops
2022-06-20 12:01:29
Model: Adapter  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: Build 20180201 Rel.73119(s)

Model : T2600G-28TS 

Firmware Version: 3.0.0 Build 20180201 Rel.73119(s)

Serial Number: 2185341000155

Can I ask for advice on solving a VLAN loop?

Kind Regards,

James

Options
6 Reply
Re:Solving VLAN loops
2022-06-20 16:14:23

@Gombeen666 

not very sure what you mean there. is there a problem when you creating the vlan? 

it would be helpful to us to help if you can post something there instead of a plain sentence. smiley

ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Options
2022-06-20 19:33:51

@Tedd404 

Apologies for the vague question?

Just recently I had this switch connected to two Routers (Mikrotik CCR's) in a manual load balanced configuration, if for example the total VLAN count was 70, I split the VLAN's -

35 on each CCR and if one failed, I enabled the disabled 35 Vlan's, so one CCR would take the load until the other was operational,

Somehow I must have inadvertly allowed a Vlan (or some Vlans) to create a loop in my configuration! 

When this occured my network went nuts ( leds on the panel flashing at very fast rate !),  luckily as I had not saved the recent config changes so a power disconnection for the TP-link switch reverted back to previous saved config and service restored,

Firmware Version:

3.0.0 Build 20180201 Rel.73119(s)

For whatever reason this firmware in VLAN config does NOT alllow me select ( Access, Trunk, General ) just two option in "Acceptable Frame Types"

(1) Admit All 

(2)Tagged Only

Unless the option for "Access, Trunk, General" is hidden ?

Back to original question is it possible to setup a system log to monitor or flag Vlan's for any loops?

Options
2022-06-21 06:22:09

@Gombeen666 Interesting, I did not know this kind of switch can do load balance on two connections. 

I've subscribed this post and waiting for any update. 

From what I know the VLAN is used to separate the network. Link backup can only be done by a router like ER605.

BTW on this switch all ports are "General" for default. You can't modify it to "Access" or "Turnk" unless you use CLI command. But "Access" can be seen as "General Untag", and Tuunk can be seen as "General Tagged", so in normal case we don't have to change the port type.

Some L3 switch support VRRP, but T2600G-28TS is not on that level.

Options
2022-06-21 11:31:02

@Somnus 

Yes dual connections used - CCR's have BGP from ISP, Setup OSPF on both CCR's which each have a full routing table !

Vlan's used for Management + PPPoE from Radius Server

I contacted TP-Link support about NOT having "Trunk, Access, General" option so they recommended resetting the TP-Link switch and upgrade the device firmware,

I also had VRRP running on the CCR's for gateway(s) failover but on discovering that PPPoE VLAN was L2 and gateways were only for management VLAN's 

I removed VRRP and setup a third router for the gateways? 

Back to my original question - Is it possible to setup monitoring on TP-Link to report possible VLAN loops?

Options
2022-06-22 07:32:59

@Gombeen666 I'm not familiar with this. I tried to search STP on tplink website and all I can see is the switch can set up RSTP.

The Omada Controller may be able to send a notification when it detect the loop(like block the port), but I did not test.

Options
2022-06-22 15:12:07

@Somnus 

Unfortunately it appears that my switch T2600G-28TS 3.0 is not supported by Omada Controller?

On further reading 

https://www.tp-link.com/us/configuration-guides/managing_physical_interface/#_idTextAnchor014 

".....

5.2.2Configuration Scheme

Enable loopback detection on ports 1/0/1-3 and configure SNMP to receive the trap notifications. For detailed instructions about SNMP, refer to Configuring SNMP & RMON. Here we introduce how to configure loopback detection and monitor the detection result on the management interface of the switch.

....'

I am running Zabbix for network monitoring and must when I get some free time check my TP-Link templates and mybe I can monitor ports loopback detection?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 609

Replies: 6