EAP610 power consumption

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

EAP610 power consumption

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
EAP610 power consumption
EAP610 power consumption
2022-06-20 18:20:28 - last edited 2022-06-21 13:23:12
Tags: #EAP
Model: EAP610  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.0.2

Hi, I am using the PoE SW TL-SG2008P v3.0 + AP EAP610(EU) v2.0.

Omada (Controller Software 5.3.1) shows me that the switch port power is about 5 watts.

The switch alone with 2x GB up-links consumes 4 watts.

When the AP is on, the sw power in total goes up to 14 watts.

Is this difference due to the PoE being provided?

Is there any way to reduce this? Reduceing transmit power of 2.4 and 5 Ghz to the minimum 7 and 9 db do not take much effect (13Watt). during this test were less than 15 Client’s connect and no traffic generated.

I bought the EAP610 because it is currently available and its dimension is simply contemporary compared to the rest of the tp fleet

From its specification 50% transmit power should be fairly enough. Isn't lower consumption to be expected then?

What AP’s are you using in terms of save energy? I need 2 more.

Thank you.

Options
3 Reply
Re:EAP610 power consumption
2022-06-20 23:03:56

@4Bob 

Hey

Hopefully have some answers for you! 

The switch alone with 2x GB up-links consumes 4 watts.

When the AP is on, the sw power in total goes up to 14 watts.

Is this difference due to the PoE being provided?

The 2008P v3 has a draw of 8w for the switch (with all ports connected) so if you are running 2x links, 4w seems about right...

The increase to 14w is again expected, and if honest a bit lower than I would have guessed.    The 2008P can provide up to 62watts of POE to connected devices, then add the switch itself for a maximum draw of around 70w under full load.    In your case the EAP610 appears to be drawing around 10watts which is below its specified 14watts (according to the manual).   This seems to be within expectations, and yes the extra difference is the POE draw from the switch.

Is there any way to reduce this? Reduceing transmit power of 2.4 and 5 Ghz to the minimum 7 and 9 db do not take much effect (13Watt). during this test were less than 15 Client’s connect and no traffic generated.

14watts is absolutely nothing in terms of power, its literally 12v 1.13 amps!   Your AP is pulling below the watts mentioned in specifications so its really as light as you can get. 

Changing power levels etc wont make any difference.  With just 15 clients the device isn't working hard, ~12watts is likely as low as it can go.  For the record all WiFi 6 APs pull more power than their predecessor (WiFi5)

I bought the EAP610 because it is currently available and its dimension is simply contemporary compared to the rest of the tp fleet

From its specification 50% transmit power should be fairly enough. Isn't lower consumption to be expected then?

What AP’s are you using in terms of save energy? I need 2 more.

Transmit power is purely respective to the area you are trying to cover, as a general rule of thumb however its best to leave this on AUTO and not start fiddling too much with it unless you have completed a good site survey?   Also 50% transmit power doesnt mean 50% power draw, its a logarithmic graph for this.  The chipset running the AP may require say 10watts regardless, so increasing the transmit power at the antenna may only add 1 to 2watts from low to high. 

In terms of saving energy, you could go for WiFi 5 devices as they only pull around 7watts.   However, if minimal changes in wattage at this level is a concern to you then I would advise against using WiFi as its inherently a very inefficient method of communication in that scenario

For the record, the 2008P can support up to 62watts load via POE, so would therefore happily power 4x of the EAP610s

Options
2022-06-21 09:01:35

@Philbert Thank you! That helps me a lot smiley

This seems to be within expectations, and yes the extra difference is the POE draw from the switch.

Pure calculation, without additional loads.

So let's say 3x EAP610 need 5-6 Watt

the switch with 4 Watt pure network + 4 Watt more POE draw.

Does this calculation work?

Options
2022-06-21 21:59:22

@4Bob 

Hey

Pure calculation, without additional loads.

So let's say 3x EAP610 need 5-6 Watt

the switch with 4 Watt pure network + 4 Watt more POE draw.

Does this calculation work?

The switch requires around 5-7watts regardless, however this does not contribute to its POE rating.   Namely the switch can support up to 62watts POE, but also requires an additional 5-7watts to actually operate.   Therefore if you connected a load meter at the plug, it would read around 70watts under total load (62 POE + 7watts running switch)

The EAP610s state they draw around 14watts, 5-6watts is too low an estimation for that model.    If you had 3x EAP610s I would guess the draw to be around 42watts POE + 5watts for the switch (if measured at the plug) for a total of 48 watts. 

The 2008P would happily handle 4x EAP610s if required

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1840

Replies: 3

Tags

EAP
Related Articles